Author Topic: The most excited you've been for a new Melvins release.  (Read 1040 times)

Online GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The most excited you've been for a new Melvins release.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 11:16:34 PM »
It must be (A)SA for me. I was away from home with a rental car, can't remember what trip it could be, but the rental had a CD player. I got (A)SA right when I could find it at a record store, and I've loved it ever since.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 09:24:17 PM »
I remember being quite excited for Pigs to come out.  The mystery of what they’d do with Lustmord...  Still one of my favorites.   

BERZERKER

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 05:26:08 AM »
Is the thread-starter asking about excitement at this level:

Offline (PAUL)

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • YEAH
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 03:34:58 PM »
That's usually me before one of their concerts tbh.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Offline vince furnier

• godfather of grunge
  • see my only mind explode, when I've gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 08:50:23 PM »
I would have to say Honky/ whatever was going to come after Stag. I was so hyped up to hear more. It was a total shock to walk into tower records in the summer of 97 and see a new album. Even more surprised it wasn't on Atlantic, then put it on and :shock:
That was interesting  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

Offline FartLips

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Lollars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 10:42:16 PM »
nude with boots. I really liked the direction ASA took. that anticipation didn't last long. :lol:
mount ambulance  "... tho it's hard to compete when my eyes keep getting distracted by Grim's juicy ass!"

Offline NickWLKR

• former bassist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 04:16:52 PM »
I’ll have to go with POTRE. I remember hearing a 30 second snippet of Bloated Pope on the Ipecac website and just counting down the days til that fucker came out!!

Offline blacksanta

• speaks bocce
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.org
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »
Is your wife's name Peggy or Gordon? I ask without judgment of course.

I think PGx3 is one of the best things the band has ever done.

No, she just found it objectively beautiful,as did I. She is not a heavy music person generally.
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

Offline rimb

• shrimp basket
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 08:00:53 PM »
I’ll have to go with POTRE. I remember hearing a 30 second snippet of Bloated Pope on the Ipecac website and just counting down the days til that fucker came out!!

Yeah gotta agree with this, although (A) Senile Animal and the intrigue of the dual drummer setup comes a close second.

Offline Nizamark

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »
the next one

Offline johnnyg

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 07:44:09 AM »
In the days before the internet, I remember hanging out in record stores and flipping through the Melvins section to see if anything new was out. You know, those plastic tabs that separated all the bands from each other? It was always a rush to find a new ep or an album you didn’t know about. You would buy the CD and cross your fingers. I loved the rush of not knowing if it would be something like Prick or if it would be a “real” album like Stoner Witch.

I never anticipated any releases because I didn’t know how to find info about the next Melvins record. Anyway, one particularly exhilarating find was Singles 1-12. This was in the mid 90s. Post Honky. I was super excited to find a new batch of Melvins songs! Double album too! I really liked Stag and was curious about what would come next. Little did I know this was B-Sides and leftovers. To this day I still love Specimen and GGIIBBYY. Still one of my favorite releases.

Oh... and then The Maggot blew my mind a few years later.

So true and well said. It's crazy how quickly you can forget certain things. With the Internet, you know about every album at least 3 months before it comes out. But, back in the 90s and before, unless you religiously read the music mags, the only way you would find out about new albums is that they were actually there on the shelves.

The other thing that no longer happens (and it's probably a good thing), is that you would get a release thinking it was a new "album," but it was just archive material, something repackaged, or otherwise. I remember when I got Beastie Boys' 'some old bullshit' I was so disappointed. I actually love that stuff now, but back then it was a bummer!