Author Topic: MELVINS - WORKING WITH GOD (NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!)  (Read 8593 times)

Offline moose

• knows moss
    • View Profile
Re: MELVINS - WORKING WITH GOD (NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!)
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2021, 09:10:54 PM »
so Tres Cabrones was better?
I don't know. I wouldn't necessarily say that. Remember, i've only heard some of the album. I haven't heard the last 3 tracks. Of what i've heard, it is still a good record. I've gone very lukewarm on 'I Fuck Around' though now.

why is Hot Fish on this album?
I keep wondering that too. Not so much "why?" but what version is it? It would be strange if it is the one we have already heard on the Flipper split since that was Dale on drums, Trevor on bass and Flipper adding back up. Perhaps the one on this record is a re-recording with the 1983 line-up instead.
It’s a different version
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

Offline bUTTHOLEmAN

• Global Moderator
  • Onion Ringoes
  • Hang Ten Brah
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2021, 09:18:45 PM »
so Tres Cabrones was better?
I don't know. I wouldn't necessarily say that. Remember, i've only heard some of the album. I haven't heard the last 3 tracks. Of what i've heard, it is still a good record. I've gone very lukewarm on 'I Fuck Around' though now.

why is Hot Fish on this album?
I keep wondering that too. Not so much "why?" but what version is it? It would be strange if it is the one we have already heard on the Flipper split since that was Dale on drums, Trevor on bass and Flipper adding back up. Perhaps the one on this record is a re-recording with the 1983 line-up instead.
It’s a different version
:cheers:
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Offline CoryCory

• knows moss
  • 2008 - 2019, 2020 - ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2021, 10:05:45 AM »
Just got the Silver Vinyl in the mail and listening to a digital download right now. Maybe it's my headphones and listening to it in the car will be the real test but on the first listen the mix on this is THICC and Buzz's guitar tone is absolutely monstrous on this record.

The question isn't so much the covers is rather if they're going to top this one at any point in the 2020s?

I feel like a pretty good bar is set right now. Maybe if a new Melvins Lite drops with a solid guitar mix?

Almost all of the new songs are absolute bangers. I didn't like "Hot Fish" at all when I heard it on that Flipper EP and while I still think the song is lame that mix makes it suck a lot less. Take or leave the filler tracks too. But this album is a crunchy-ass record and the songs have a lot of tenacity and energy throughout. The covers are fine and make perfect palette cleansers to have a laugh. "Goodnight Sweetheart" is pretty amazing too.

First listen and I'm really liking it.

Offline ))))((((

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2021, 02:42:11 PM »
The question isn't so much the covers is rather if they're going to top this one at any point in the 2020s?

I feel like a pretty good bar is set right now.
I did wonder how you would view this record since you loved Tres Cabrones so much. Nice to hear you adore this one too. From what i've heard so far, i'd say it's a fairly solid Melvins album but not a fantastic one. Probably about an 8/10. A good return from the guys but i'd have to guess that they will put something else in the future that will match it or beat it. After all, 9 more years of this decade is a long time in Melvins years!

Online black stallion

• Onion Ringoes
    • View Profile
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline Topaz

• INDEEEEEED
  • Denigrater
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2021, 06:16:52 PM »
I just got my CD in the mail. I immediately listened to it from beginning to end. Here are some stray observations:

Tracks 5 (‘1 Brian’) and 9 (‘Fuck You’) are completely unnecessary. However, they do add a certain Melvins charm, so I’ll let them slide.

Two of the tracks that were not released in advance, ‘Negative No No’ and ‘Boy Mike’ are my favorites so far. Very crunchy and heavy.

Is it just me, or does ‘Caddy Daddy’ sound like it was recorded during the AWWLD sessions? It feels slightly out of place here.

I compared this version of ‘Hot Fish’ with the one on the Melvins/Flipper split, and I couldn’t detect any difference. Maybe someone else will spot something.

All in all, this is a very solid album. I am quite pleased with the originals and even some of the covers (‘1 Fuck You’). 8/10

Offline ))))((((

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2021, 06:37:04 PM »
Two of the tracks that were not released in advance, Negative No No and Boy Mike are my favorites so far. Very crunchy and heavy.
I thought the same too - it was a nice surprise. 'Negative No No' especially is just classic Melvins right there!

Offline Topaz

• INDEEEEEED
  • Denigrater
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2021, 06:41:07 PM »
Two of the tracks that were not released in advance, Negative No No and Boy Mike are my favorites so far. Very crunchy and heavy.
I thought the same too - it was a nice surprise. 'Negative No No' especially is just classic Melvins right there!

👍

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2021, 07:55:17 PM »
Blabbermouth gave 'Working with God' 9/10!

In short, "Working With God" is a fantastic MELVINS album. Compared to the rest of their own catalogue, it is relatively linear and clear in intent with a focus upon well-written songs. The odd humor and experimental mindset aren't entirely abandoned here. It's just more appropriately employed to augment the songs rather than drown them out, which has been an unfortunate tendency of some MELVINS songs over the last 20 years. With "Working With God", MELVINS 1983 is essentially a beautiful song that plays in the middle of a burly brawl, exploding inside your favorite neighborhood dive bar.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/working-with-god/

Offline Nizamark

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2021, 06:29:17 PM »
there are many harry nilsson songs i'd rather they covered, but i do dig their take on you're breaking my heart.

also i wonder if they're familiar with this, or of if it was just a coincidence:

Offline JFKC

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2021, 09:08:17 PM »
I got it in the mail yesterday, and I’ve listen to it five times, I fucking love it, it is so damn good. I’m gonna listen to it again....

Offline surfling

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
"Pop music is for sheep. And we are shepherds disguised as wolves."
(Laibach)

Offline Pound4abrown

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2021, 09:14:16 AM »
In addition to agreeing about Negative No No and Boy Mike being bangers. I also think Hund is pretty fucking crushing.
Good stuff.

Offline hemispheres

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2021, 01:55:09 PM »
Sounds like Melvins. Solid, makes me miss shows even more.

Offline Nizamark

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2021, 03:10:17 PM »