MELVINS - WORKING WITH GOD (NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!)

Started by Stonergrunge, November 12, 2020, 11:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: moose on February 18, 2021, 10:10:54 PM
Quote from: ))))(((( on February 18, 2021, 08:08:21 PM
Quote from: black stallion on February 18, 2021, 12:04:45 PM
so Tres Cabrones was better?
I don't know. I wouldn't necessarily say that. Remember, i've only heard some of the album. I haven't heard the last 3 tracks. Of what i've heard, it is still a good record. I've gone very lukewarm on 'I Fuck Around' though now.

Quote from: black stallion on February 18, 2021, 02:17:27 PM
why is Hot Fish on this album?
I keep wondering that too. Not so much "why?" but what version is it? It would be strange if it is the one we have already heard on the Flipper split since that was Dale on drums, Trevor on bass and Flipper adding back up. Perhaps the one on this record is a re-recording with the 1983 line-up instead.
It's a different version
:cheers:
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

CoryCory

Just got the Silver Vinyl in the mail and listening to a digital download right now. Maybe it's my headphones and listening to it in the car will be the real test but on the first listen the mix on this is THICC and Buzz's guitar tone is absolutely monstrous on this record.

The question isn't so much the covers is rather if they're going to top this one at any point in the 2020s?

I feel like a pretty good bar is set right now. Maybe if a new Melvins Lite drops with a solid guitar mix?

Almost all of the new songs are absolute bangers. I didn't like "Hot Fish" at all when I heard it on that Flipper EP and while I still think the song is lame that mix makes it suck a lot less. Take or leave the filler tracks too. But this album is a crunchy-ass record and the songs have a lot of tenacity and energy throughout. The covers are fine and make perfect palette cleansers to have a laugh. "Goodnight Sweetheart" is pretty amazing too.

First listen and I'm really liking it.

))))((((

Quote from: CoryCory on February 19, 2021, 11:05:45 AM
The question isn't so much the covers is rather if they're going to top this one at any point in the 2020s?

I feel like a pretty good bar is set right now.
I did wonder how you would view this record since you loved Tres Cabrones so much. Nice to hear you adore this one too. From what i've heard so far, i'd say it's a fairly solid Melvins album but not a fantastic one. Probably about an 8/10. A good return from the guys but i'd have to guess that they will put something else in the future that will match it or beat it. After all, 9 more years of this decade is a long time in Melvins years!

Topaz

I just got my CD in the mail. I immediately listened to it from beginning to end. Here are some stray observations:

Tracks 5 ('1 Brian') and 9 ('Fuck You') are completely unnecessary. However, they do add a certain Melvins charm, so I'll let them slide.

Two of the tracks that were not released in advance, 'Negative No No' and 'Boy Mike' are my favorites so far. Very crunchy and heavy.

Is it just me, or does 'Caddy Daddy' sound like it was recorded during the AWWLD sessions? It feels slightly out of place here.

I compared this version of 'Hot Fish' with the one on the Melvins/Flipper split, and I couldn't detect any difference. Maybe someone else will spot something.

All in all, this is a very solid album. I am quite pleased with the originals and even some of the covers ('1 Fuck You'). 8/10

))))((((

Quote from: Topaz on February 22, 2021, 07:16:52 PM
Two of the tracks that were not released in advance, Negative No No and Boy Mike are my favorites so far. Very crunchy and heavy.
I thought the same too - it was a nice surprise. 'Negative No No' especially is just classic Melvins right there!

Topaz

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 22, 2021, 07:37:04 PM
Quote from: Topaz on February 22, 2021, 07:16:52 PM
Two of the tracks that were not released in advance, Negative No No and Boy Mike are my favorites so far. Very crunchy and heavy.
I thought the same too - it was a nice surprise. 'Negative No No' especially is just classic Melvins right there!

👍

Bigval

Blabbermouth gave 'Working with God' 9/10!

QuoteIn short, "Working With God" is a fantastic MELVINS album. Compared to the rest of their own catalogue, it is relatively linear and clear in intent with a focus upon well-written songs. The odd humor and experimental mindset aren't entirely abandoned here. It's just more appropriately employed to augment the songs rather than drown them out, which has been an unfortunate tendency of some MELVINS songs over the last 20 years. With "Working With God", MELVINS 1983 is essentially a beautiful song that plays in the middle of a burly brawl, exploding inside your favorite neighborhood dive bar.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/working-with-god/

Nizamark

there are many harry nilsson songs i'd rather they covered, but i do dig their take on you're breaking my heart.

also i wonder if they're familiar with this, or of if it was just a coincidence:

https://youtu.be/bHscrgXnTJg

JFKC

I got it in the mail yesterday, and I've listen to it five times, I fucking love it, it is so damn good. I'm gonna listen to it again....

surfling

"Pop music is for sheep. And we are shepherds disguised as wolves."
(Laibach)

Pound4abrown

In addition to agreeing about Negative No No and Boy Mike being bangers. I also think Hund is pretty fucking crushing.
Good stuff.

hemispheres

Sounds like Melvins. Solid, makes me miss shows even more.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7-4Eetj33c9BgKiKCQYMkw
Subscribe to my Youtube channel if you want to know the truth.

the bloat

Was peeping to see if the new album dropped on iTunes yet (even though I own the silver vinyl) and found some insider info from Buzz himself breaking down each of the tracks. Not sure if this has already been posted:

I F**k Around
"This came out of soundcheck. They'd go, 'Can you do your vocal check?' and I'd start in with 'Round, round, fuck around, I fuck around,' to the tune of the Beach Boys song. It always got a laugh out of people. And then we eventually thought we gotta record it. So I sat down and wrote lyrics for it. Melvins 1983 is where that kind of stuff really comes to light, because we all have the same kind of sense of humour, which my wife says is perpetually stuck in eighth grade. Which is true."

Negative No No
"I wrote these lyrics while driving around in the car, listening to the demo. What I'll do is I have my notebook with me and when I come upon something, I'll pull over and just write it out, right there on the side of the road. I do that all the time. You couldn't work that way on public transpo. Sitting on the bus singing out loud is not really going to work. You'd be beaten up or considered insane, which is probably not far from the truth."

Bouncing Rick
"This was the nickname we had for our high school biology teacher. Me and Dillard had all kinds of names for people at the high school. This guy bounced around when he talked—I think it was out of nervousness—so we called him Bouncing Rick. But we're the only ones who called him that. So as soon as I said, 'Bouncing Rick', Dillard knew who I was talking about. I don't know that the song is really about him, though. I think it would be more about the challenges of a second date."

Caddy Daddy
"People think this is a golf reference, but it's actually not. It's Cadillacs. I wouldn't write a song about a golf caddy—I've never had one. But I've never had a Cadillac, either. When I lived in San Francisco, I saw a guy walking through the Fillmore District with a baseball hat on that said 'Caddy Daddy' on it, and I wrote it down. That was probably 30 years ago, and I've had it ever since. But the song isn't about that. It's more about thinking you're smarter than you really are."

Brian, The Horse-Faced Goon
"The first part is a song that we came up with a long time ago. We used to sing it exactly like that—'Brian, The Horse-Faced Goon', trying to imitate Ethel Merman. So we've had that version for years and years. And then the second one is about a Florida kid shooting dope in a hurricane. Dale wrote the music for that one, which is the new song. The hardest part was figuring out how I was going to fit the phrase 'Brian, The Horse-Faced Goon' into the lyrics, which I did."

Boy Mike
"This might be one of my favourites. The way it started out and the way it ended up was tremendously different. And I really like the ending on that song—I think it's really fucking cool. I think it sounds really weird and creepy. I couldn't say exactly what that one's about, but Boy Mike is not a real person. At first I was thinking it could be about a microphone, but I don't think it is. It's one of those songs that ends up far surpassing your expectations. I love when that happens."

F**k You
"This is our Harry Nilsson cover, which was a no-brainer. His song was called 'You're Breakin' My Heart'. According to the documentary about him, he wrote it about his ex-wife. Nilsson was a strange cat—he never played live. This was a song that I've wanted to cover for a long time, and I changed the lyrics to be as offensive as possible. We really liked the beginning with us screaming, 'Fuck you!' so we decided to isolate that for the second song. If you take the two 'Brian' tracks, 'Boy Mike' and the two 'F**k Yous', it's like a nice little EP in the middle of the album."

The Great Good Place
"I think this is Dale's favourite song on the record. I might be wrong, but I think the title is a reference to the freaks at Andy Warhol's Factory who thought that they'd found a place where they could do whatever they wanted, but then Warhol ends up getting blasted. I might have had that in mind, but it's not directly about that. And then there's that saying along the lines of 'If you let everyone in, you let in madness, too.' So you've got to be more specific about your guest list."

Hot Fish
"The music for this one was written by Trevor Dunn, and I wrote the lyrics. We actually wrote this song for Flipper. We did a limited-edition EP with those guys playing on it, but we decided to redo the song and put it on this record. I can't think of a band that has had a bigger impact on us than Flipper. The title comes from seeing them at a club in San Francisco in the '80s called the Covered Wagon. In the back, there was a kitchen with a deep fryer. Those guys had this fish made out of metal that was about the size of a bowling ball. They'd drop it in the fryer until it was red hot and then throw water on it and carry it onstage screaming, 'Hot fish! Hot fish!' I never forgot that. The funny thing is, when I brought it up to those guys, they didn't remember it."

Hund
"This is a song that I wrote for [Buzz and Dale's side project] Crystal Fairy, but we never got to record it. So we revamped it and did it with Melvins 1983. It has some pretty hard guitar-playing on it, as far as the soloing goes—that's about as hard a guitar solo as I'll ever do. But the song is kind of a multifaceted nightmare—it's got a lot of parts to it. Mike and Dale did a really good job working this out."

Goodnight Sweet Heart
"We've been wanting to do this on an album forever. We used to do this song with the Big Business guys—we'd do it as the last song of the night. Then I met one of the guys from Sha Na Na when I was golfing at one of the little par-three courses I play. He was there all the time, so I got to be friends with him. He told me the reason they loved doing that song last is because it was the shortest song they did in their whole set. So we open the record with a Beach Boys song and close it with a '50s doo-wop song. It just seems right."