Recording question

Started by ))))((((, December 02, 2020, 07:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Does anyone here know what was the first Melvins album they recorded in their current Sound of Sirens Studio? Now it seems we always see pictures of the guys in that small green room with Toshi up to something or other. But i can't quite recall what the first album was they did there. I have a feeling it was or would be somewhere between NWB and Hold It In. But i could be very wrong there. Any ideas?

black stallion

it was Freak Puke, according to the album credits
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

dead mike

Quote from: black stallion on December 02, 2020, 08:28:13 AM
Spoken like someone who doesn't throw out the liner notes for all his albums. You crazy.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

))))((((

Ah, thanks. My initial feeling was that it might be Freak Puke.

black stallion

Quote from: dead mike on December 02, 2020, 09:40:38 AM
Spoken like someone who doesn't throw out the liner notes for all his albums. You crazy.

ahah, no way i could ever do that!

amazonAMAZON

That makes sense. The change in sound happened while bringing in the standup bass and dropping the BB guys. So not as noticeable there. The album recordings have generally improved since then. Five Legged Dog is really the first one since Bulls & Bees that sounds like every instrument was given full care in recording (if that makes sense.) I like the upfront drum mix but that might just be me feeling like Dale had been in the back seat for a while.

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on October 25, 2021, 11:24:11 AM
I like the upfront drum mix but that might just be me feeling like Dale had been in the back seat for a while.
I have to say, the drum shenanigans Dale gets up to at the end of The Bloated Pope and Civilized Worm on the record are awesome!

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on October 25, 2021, 12:38:34 PM
Quote from: amazonAMAZON on October 25, 2021, 11:24:11 AM
I like the upfront drum mix but that might just be me feeling like Dale had been in the back seat for a while.
I have to say, the drum shenanigans Dale gets up to at the end of The Bloated Pope and Civilized Worm on the record are awesome!

yes, i think on this acoustic album he recorded some intro or outro drum patterns exacly like he usually play them live... end of civilized for example is the black stooges drum part! also the bit intro is amazing. or the anaconda intro..

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on October 25, 2021, 12:51:00 PM
end of civilized for example is the black stooges drum part!
Darn! You are right. Why did i not notice that??

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on October 25, 2021, 01:06:00 PM
check the bit intro
Yeah, clearly the same going on there in both songs. It makes sense that playing the songs all these years would translate over into the acoustic recordings too. I liked that fact. I've never seen that particular video of The Bit before. Great stuff!