Melvins Ready First-Ever Acoustic Album ‘Five Legged Dog’

Started by rimb, July 21, 2021, 06:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoryCory

On the Hold It In Tour they had this tarp of the album cover hung up for some reason. Only time they ever did that.

vince furnier

Quote from: CoryCory on September 23, 2021, 08:00:56 AM
On the Hold It In Tour they had this tarp of the album cover hung up for some reason. Only time they ever did that.
yeah. minus the non-participant!  :lol: :?
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

))))((((

Quote from: CoryCory on September 23, 2021, 08:00:56 AM
I remember seeing a video of them with that on the stage. Personally i thought it was pretty cool. I'd love to see them do that again sometime.

el gep

I'm currently listening to the whole album (Mp3ees previews for reviewers) and I'm scratching my head a bit.
There's some cool versions of some songs... But I'm wondering if these (almost) always calm and psychedelic vocals would not be boring somehow. What's cool about the acoustic solo albums of King B is that he sometimes really SING... LOUD. Here in 5 Legged Dog the vocals are very often...limp? Have a good nap!
Have to dig more... And that's a BIG piece of cake stuffed in the mouth... 36 songs, damn it!

))))((((

Quote from: el gep on September 24, 2021, 02:42:19 AM
I'm currently listening to the whole album (Mp3ees previews for reviewers) and I'm scratching my head a bit.
There's some cool versions of some songs... But I'm wondering if these (almost) always calm and psychedelic vocals would not be boring somehow. What's cool about the acoustic solo albums of King B is that he sometimes really SING... LOUD. Here in 5 Legged Dog the vocals are very often...limp? Have a good nap!
Have to dig more... And that's a BIG piece of cake stuffed in the mouth... 36 songs, damn it!
Of the songs we have heard so far, i haven't had a problem myself with the singing. But i am a little wary about that many songs! Or rather the duration of those many songs. 2.5 hours of music makes for something that probably won't be sat through from start to finish very often. That for me weakens the overall artistic statement of this release. I imagine for myself that in time it may not be an album i listen to completely but dip in and out of. Listen to half of it or just which songs take my fancy on a given day. In a way, i think i see this as more of a compilation than a "proper" album.

Nizamark

all the songs you know and love, just slightly less awesome

amazonAMAZON

A bit like MLVNSvsMPLS in that it's too long to listen through, and spans the career plus a nugget or two of covers. Sometimes drastically different, sometimes a pretty faithful rendition.

GiveMe45

I liked the suggestion in that recent Revolver interview that it would be good material to have on a long drive

))))((((

Quote from: Nizamark on September 24, 2021, 12:17:21 PM
Of the songs released so far (plus the ones on Slithering Slaughter) i've heartily enjoyed them all. There hasn't been anything that made me dislike them or consider them less than the originals. Just a bit different and yet still cool. I think there is room enough for these to exist in as well. I mean, anyone who doesn't like the acoustic takes on these songs still has the old originals to go back to if they wished. It's win, win to me!

Quote from: GiveMe45 on September 24, 2021, 08:19:20 PM
I liked the suggestion in that recent Revolver interview that it would be good material to have on a long drive
Yes, it also made me think of the record like a movie. I mean most of us would be willing to sit and watch a 2.5 hour movie. But still, i do have a few reservations about putting out THAT much material as one record. I guess i will find out how i feel about that once and for all when i hear the full thing. But for now i do think perhaps it would have been better to have a Part 1 & Part 2.

I actually kinda wish they had put out 1 CD of the older songs and 1 CD of brand new Melvins songs done acoustically. That would have been cool. Perhaps a new album of all acoustic material may surface at some point down the road. I sincerely hope so anyway.

el gep

In fact, there are two parts. Cd 1 and CD 2.
Or four parts: LP1 LP2 LP3 LP4
Then you can multiply the whole shit by two 'cause there are two sides on each LP. So... there are 8 parts!
EIGHT PARTS EVERYBODY!!!

Well, well, wait... There are as many parts as you wish!
36 parts!
36 PARTS EVERYBODY!!!

Sorry.

))))((((

Perhaps they will come out with a Maggot edition which splits all the songs in two. Ladies and gentlemen - 72 parts!!!!!

el gep

Exactly!
Then you got the bridge, the chorus, outros and intros and verses and then the parts are parting each others and...
I got a headache.

(in fact I sure do have a terrible hangover and I'm at work so sorry for everything)

black stallion

Quote from: Nizamark on September 24, 2021, 12:17:21 PM

to me they sound really good. i noticed the drums are very high in the mix, maybe because Buzz guitar is unplugged. it seems Dale and Steven are both higher than Buzz in the mix. waiting to hear the full thing btw
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards