Five Legged Dog

Started by ))))((((, September 02, 2021, 07:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Really looking forward to this one! What songs are you guys most excited to hear. I think Hung Bunny / Roman Dog Bird is one im eager to see how it turns out. Im still intrigued by how people here will listen to the record too. I just can't imagine many people having the time (or maybe desire!) to sit down to 2.5 hours of acoustic Melvins. Although i could be wrong there.

amazonAMAZON

Yeah, the version on the Livestream of "Lysol" may be just a tease for the arrangement here with more voices.

Since we know what "Up the Dumper" and "Pitfalls" sound like, I'm more interested now in the heavier classics.

I have low expectations for the covers, except maybe "Everybody's Talking"

coodies

I see their is the Bloated Pope AND Suicide in Progress on this album. They both share a riff in them. Like a History of Bad Men and the Man With the Laughing Hand is Dead.

coodies

Brain Center at Whipples and the solo acoustic the Ripping Driving share a lot of riffs.

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on September 02, 2021, 01:16:37 PM
I have low expectations for the covers, except maybe "Everybody's Talking"
That's the one i have a feeling i simply will not like.

Quote from: coodies on September 02, 2021, 05:41:33 PM
I see their is the Bloated Pope AND Suicide in Progress on this album. They both share a riff in them.
Quote from: coodies on September 02, 2021, 05:46:40 PM
Brain Center at Whipples and the solo acoustic the Ripping Driving share a lot of riffs.
I didn't know about any of these. I never picked up on that fact before.

))))((((

Just had my first full listen. A solid 8/10. The only issue being the epicly long run time. I never know what to think of something like this - is it great to have MORE Melvins music or is it TOO much of a good thing? Of course one can always stop the record and return to it later or experience it in smaller chunks if so desired.

Some songs are fantastic here. 'Billy Fish' for example being one that surprised me. Others were sort of way different than i expected or i feel a little unsure about. 'At The Stake' i would have sworn was a totally new Melvins song if i didn't know it already by the title! In fact im still not sure it IS 'At The Stake' at all! It was funny how the album ended without any weirdness or extended stuff at the end. I was expecting something unexpected and peculiar like Melvins usually conjure up. Anyway i'll be listening further but im not sure if it will be all in one sitting as i did today.

Shevil is freaking awesome. Billy Fish sounds great acoustic.

amazonAMAZON

This is a really cool album. Albums where artists revisit old material can be annoying and redundant. This doesn't feel that way at all. The broad scope of the tracklist prevents this from ever feeling too much of a specific rehash. The production is generally impeccable.

The performances are superb, sounding both practiced and in-the-moment. This version of the band is absolutely killer. I'd be happy if this is the touring and recording configuration for the next couple years.

"Hung Bunny / Roman Dog Bird" is barely familiar. This rendition is roughly what they played on Melvins TV/Livestream Obscene. But with the high quality recording, acoustic instruments and spacious mixing here, the new harmonies and arrangement make this basically a new song.

"Halo of Flies" is the same version from Slithering Slaughter but remains a huge highlight.

"Oven" is wicked cool here. There's a voice in the middle section that might be Steven. Whoever it is, I was surprised at how young it sounds.

Much like the first King Buzzo album, there are delay effects, vocal processing, and some mixing choices that help keep the sound from being monotonous.

The new (and newish) covers:
"Everybody's Talking" is a solid version, featuring Pinkus banjo and vocals. The spirit of Nilsson is here, a true tribute free of any mockery or weird choices.
"Sway" a very laidback version. If this tune were played out of context for the first time and someone told me it was an outtake from The Spaghetti Incident, would I be able to refute it? Probably not.
"Woman" absorbs the second half of "Eye Flys" and it's another cornerstone of this album.
"Charlie" is Steven's song still. This version fits the record, but is probably inferior to the studio electric version from Escape From LA.
"Outside Chance" also the same as Slithering Slaughter. This tune has grown on me. It feels much more 'at home' on this sprawling record.
"Flypaper" I'll have to let this one sink in. I liked it but can't say I understand it yet.

Some other highlights so far: "Evil New War God," "Boris," "Shevil," "With Teeth," and "Civilized Worm."

))))((((

Something i noticed is that a few of the songs have intended silent pauses within them between different sections. Those pauses are in the original songs too but here seem stretched out a little. More than a few times when i was listening i thought the song had ended mid-way or my internet connection had gone out only for the song to kick back in again. Kinda funny in a way.

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on October 15, 2021, 05:52:23 PM
"Hung Bunny / Roman Dog Bird" is barely familiar.
I felt that way about a few songs, it's like something totally new at some points. Showing how those songs could have been. It amazed me also just how much Steven and Dale sing on this too. Many of the songs sound like all three are singing the same songs at once!

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on October 15, 2021, 05:52:23 PM
"Outside Chance" also the same as Slithering Slaughter. This tune has grown on me. It feels much more 'at home' on this sprawling record.
Easily my least liked song on the record. I personally wish it hadn't featured. Not that it's bad but i don't want Melvins putting out groovy, upbeat numbers!!!

the bloat

I really like the new take on Eye Flys. The harmonies are excellent and flows easily into the Free song, Woman. It's interesting to hear the lyrics up close. Dale sounds great throughout. So many things to love here. We'll done, boys.

Im sure this has already been mentioned, but this is clearly their take on a greatest hits album, reimagined. Pretty much every proper LP is represented here, save for the Maggot, HAT and Hold It In.

jules

Quote from: the bloat on October 16, 2021, 02:33:44 AM
I really like the new take on Eye Flys. The harmonies are excellent and flows easily into the Spirit song, Woman. It's interesting to hear the lyrics up close. Dale sounds great throughout. So many things to love here. We'll done, boys.

Im sure this has already been mentioned, but this is clearly their take on a greatest hits album, reimagined. Pretty much every proper LP is represented here, save for the Maggot, HAT, ASA and Hold It In.
Didn't know Spirit covered Woman, cool. Only ever heard the Free version. (And now Three Dog Night's cover after a search...Three Dog Night, Five Legged Dog, so many dogs..........)

black stallion

i'm not listening to this until next week  [-(
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

jules

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on October 16, 2021, 02:33:44 AM
Pretty much every proper LP is represented here, save for the Maggot, HAT, ASA and Hold It In.
We've got 'Civilized Worm' from (A)SA.

the bloat

QuoteDidn't know Spirit covered Woman, cool. Only ever heard the Free version. (And now Three Dog Night's cover after a search...Three Dog Night, Five Legged Dog, so many dogs..........)

My mistake. Yes, Free. Not Spirit.