Five Legged Dog

Started by ))))((((, September 02, 2021, 07:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on November 06, 2021, 12:09:03 PM
Earlier, I had mentioned that all proper LPs have a song on five legged dog, however I found a snippet of untitled from HAT at the end of civilized worm. So now it seems that only hold it in and the Maggot are not represented here. Loving this album so far!
I suppose one could also say Prick, Basses Loaded, The Crybaby and the two 1983 albums are not represented too. But i can see why they may be considered not "proper" albums for one reason or another.

the bloat

Yeah, I see what you mean. Personally, I see those more as compilations, rather than proper LPs. I wonder if the 1983 lineup has different licensing agreements, therefore none of them are represented here. There would be quite a few great songs to add to five legged dog from the 1983 albums!

black stallion

i think i'm listening to this album less than i expected
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on November 20, 2021, 10:22:34 AM
i think i'm listening to this album less than i expected
Same here. I listened to it quite a bit the first couple of days, but then just the occasional song. I guess the problem is that it is songs we already know. It's not a NEW album of fresh songs that one would probably listen to more to get accustomed to and be familiar with. I still value the release highly and am glad it exists though.

the bloat

Agreed. It's tough to find the entry point. So often, I will jump in somewhere around the middle, play a few in a row and then I'm on to the next thing. There are some nuances that I am enjoying, but with so many songs being of the same texture and mood, I will only bite off 4 or 5 songs per sitting.

These days, I like to take every Melvins song and shuffle them and that's how I listen. When one of the FLD tracks comes in, it sounds great in the mix. A real curveball amongst their traditional approach

Oscar

Coming back to this record, I'm a bit surprised they didn't do Let It All Be.

And I totally agree on the 4-5 songs per helping, I haven't listened through since I sat with it initially. It's a chunky sumbitch.

amazonAMAZON

Kept it in the car for a few weeks. My commute is only 10-13 minutes so I'd get 3 or 4 songs at a time. I don't think I've ever heard the whole two hours continuously.

))))((((

I've noticed that Buzz always refers to this release as 4 records or albums. Now of course it is set to emerge on 4 vinyl records, but should we really be thinking of this as 4 separate releases banded together instead of one big thing? Indeed, i find it interesting to look at the separation of the tracklist for the vinyl and to consider how each of these hold up as their own, much shorter, normal length Melvins album. It would make for an intriguing listen to delve into each one on separate days.

1. Edgar The Elephant
2. Up The Dumper
3. Hung Bunny / Roman Dog Bird
4. Hooch
5. Billy Fish
6. Shevil
7. Charlie
8. A Growing Disgust

1. Eye Flys / Woman
2. Pitfalls In Serving Warrants
3. Outside Chance
4. Evil New War God
5. The Bloated Pope
6. Bad Move
7. With Teeth
8. Halo Of Flies

1. Oven
2. Sway
3. Anaconda
4. Lovely Butterflies
5. Boris
6. It's Shoved
7. Honey Bucket
8. We Are Doomed
9. Fly Paper
10. Let God Be Your Gardener
11. At The Stake

1. Night Goat
2. Queen
3. Everybody's Talking
4. Revolve
5. Suicide In Progress
6. Prig
7. The Bit
8. Civilized Worm
9. Don't Forget To Breathe

amazonAMAZON

I like that each record still gets at least one epic 6min+ song.

In any iteration, though, I don't really feel a cohesive flow to the album. It's got enough variety throughout, undoubtedly, and no song sounds bad next to one another. I would have expected some crescendo somewhere, though, and it just doesn't work out like that. I think this record might play just as well on shuffle.

"Boris" and "Halo" and "Lysol" are the most memorable tracks and they seem to just come and go among a stream of shorter fan favorites.

"Don't Forget to Breathe" is the only one on here where every time I hear it I'd just rather hear the original. The backing vocals, perhaps? I don't know exactly what doesn't sit right about this version.

I have only bought the CD so far. If I make it to a show and they have any special editions I'd probably buy the vinyl then. I love my Walsby edition of PAT. Once I have a turntable set up again (I am 100% confident that is happening soon) I could see myself playing these records often.

black stallion

do you guys think Dale used a regular kit on this album?

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on December 17, 2021, 01:16:44 PM
In some interview i think he said it was the cocktail kit. I think.

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on December 18, 2021, 10:46:37 AM
Quote from: black stallion on December 17, 2021, 01:16:44 PM
In some interview i think he said it was the cocktail kit. I think.

yeah, I think I should have known. btw, been listening to the second CD again last night, it's a great album. probably  a bit too long.
I think the upcoming quadruple vinyl should improve the listening experience

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on December 18, 2021, 01:09:41 PM
btw, been listening to the second CD again last night, it's a great album. probably  a bit too long.
I think the upcoming quadruple vinyl should improve the listening experience
It's definitely too long. I liked what Buzz said about how he wanted to do something huge to show they weren't messing around. I like that in concept, but honestly it's just too long here. Probably should have been a single 75 minute CD release or something. I suppose it could have been released in two parts. But then i feel that wouldn't really work.

the bloat

Imagine distilling an entire catalog with as much depth and longevity as the Melvins. Impossible. A Quadruple album was the only thing they could do. I cherish every moment. Not too long. It's perfect. It's contrarian. It's Melvins

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on December 20, 2021, 12:17:50 AM
I cherish every moment. Not too long. It's perfect. It's contrarian. It's Melvins
Very true. Im currently listening to it in 4 separate parts to see what it would be like. But i agree with you on that.