Author Topic: Buzz interview with Goldmine  (Read 707 times)

Offline ))))((((

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
  • Genesis 1:2
    • View Profile
Buzz interview with Goldmine
« on: September 13, 2021, 06:13:58 PM »
An interview from a bit earlier in the year it seems. Some interesting stuff mentioned here about Working With God and wishing to play with Adrian Belew. Also some of the more common material that Buzz often discusses.

https://www.goldminemag.com/interviews/buzz-osborne-leads-the-melvins-forward-with-new-album

Offline CoryCory

• melvins is gay
  • 2008 - 2019, 2020 - ?
    • View Profile
Re: Buzz interview with Goldmine
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 06:30:35 PM »
Buzz's assessment on the collectors motif and the slow collapse of conventional means of "selling records" is always a treat to read. He absolutely nails it.

Offline black stallion

• Onion Ringoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 12:40:01 AM »
Adrian Belew is a great guitarist, he was also in King Crimson
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 01:54:05 AM »
Buzz's assessment on the collectors motif and the slow collapse of conventional means of "selling records" is always a treat to read. He absolutely nails it.

I liked that he sunk the boot into record stores a bit, they often get overlooked in all this. I remember growing up when I frequented record stores in the mid-late 90's here in Australia at least the standard price for CD's was $30 and even some like imports and hard to get shit like the first Fantomas album were $40. Absolute thievery someone was making a fucking killing and it wasn't the kids behind the counters.

Then everything changed when the big chain stores like JB Hi-Fi opened set all their CD's at $20 each completely under cutting the traditional record stores and soon enough put them all out of business. Like within 1-2 years they were all gone then downloads hit with file sharing and it changed forever.

But we've all been told to mourn and help support the poor 'mom & pop' record stores with RSD and this stuff but those bastards got way too greedy gouging the fuck out of us young ones thus killing themselves in the process.

I used to get on well with one RS owner back then and then after about 20 years I bumped into him again at a record fair a few years ago still selling the same shit records he was trying to sell back then when he had a bricks & mortar store and he said his store ended when an employee stole like a thousand bucks from him or something. Yeah I'm sure that's what it did it if you're sailing that close to the wind you shouldn't be in business.

This was a guy that used to sell me a naive teenager at the time Green Day bootleg CD's for $35-$40 each, bootlegs literally illegal to even sell. I was a huge GD fan back then in the 90's so I would scrimp and save to get them I probably bought 4-5 of them from him only to find out a few years later they were worthless and I couldn't even trade them in for $1 each.

He was British so had stacks of a lot of their bands and he was always trying to talk me into buying albums from Teenage Fanclub he said they sounded just like GD. They sounded nothing like GD they were pop rock he was just trying to swindle me because he had a lot of their albums sitting their gathering dust they weren't a popular band here.

I remember too towards the end he got one of his mates from England to move out here too and started working for him. I would go bouncing in there all excited and this RS owner who I thought I was kind of friends with would then start making jokes at my expense in front of this mate of his just like that overnight I had basically become comic relief for two sad fucks in their 40's sitting their bored all day getting no business. So I stopped going in there and they closed a year or two later.

There were a few other record store owners in my city who were just completely miserable guys so them and the mate/prick above and their ripoff gouging of myself and all the other young naive customers at the time doesn't leave me with much sympathy for them.

Offline Chief Ten Beers

• louisville lip service
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 04:46:46 PM »
Holy shit, Adrian Belew on a Melvins album would be mindblowing! :shock: I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for Buzz to get Adrian's number from Les Claypool, Adam Jones, or even Terry Bozzio. I'd bet my paycheck Ade would be up for it. Agreed that Remain In Light is a monster album, easily Belew's best guest spot.

Offline WGB

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »
He was British so had stacks of a lot of their bands and he was always trying to talk me into buying albums from Teenage Fanclub he said they sounded just like GD.

I always thought there was a bit in Nude with Boots that sounded like Teenage Fanclub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGQAstXOb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9buNckusos0

Offline #2 Pencil

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 04:09:41 PM »
Yep Bigval. That’s record stores in Aus. I was on the Gold Coast in the 90’s and the stores used to rip me off on orders. I used to have to order the stuff in I wanted like Fantomas, Melvins etc as they wouldn’t even stock it. Even LP’s. I got to buying online so quick I couldn’t tell you how long I’ve done it. I’m glad I don’t have dial up for the AmRep mornings. I bought a lot of stock when a big store closed and laughed at them at the time. I did the same when Blockbuster video closed also. I used to work there at night. I still have some 3000 vhs or so and the record store really filled up my collection. I don’t rarely go to stores anymore, just buy from the band where I can to support them. I agree with Buzz on the industry. They have made it worthless. Ive been so bored with films lately, that if I do find one I like, I download it and put it to vhs and make my own rental cover.
I heard their periods attract bears

Offline sadcorps

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
  • Melvins Fan since May 16, 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 09:35:05 PM »
Yep Bigval. That’s record stores in Aus. I was on the Gold Coast in the 90’s and the stores used to rip me off on orders. I used to have to order the stuff in I wanted like Fantomas, Melvins etc as they wouldn’t even stock it. Even LP’s. I got to buying online so quick I couldn’t tell you how long I’ve done it. I’m glad I don’t have dial up for the AmRep mornings. I bought a lot of stock when a big store closed and laughed at them at the time. I did the same when Blockbuster video closed also. I used to work there at night. I still have some 3000 vhs or so and the record store really filled up my collection. I don’t rarely go to stores anymore, just buy from the band where I can to support them. I agree with Buzz on the industry. They have made it worthless. Ive been so bored with films lately, that if I do find one I like, I download it and put it to vhs and make my own rental cover.

I cannot even believe how much record stores bore me now. They used to be my lifeblood. I live in Los Angeles, where we have Amoeba Music - one of the greatest record stores in the world - right? I cannot even believe how shitty of a HUGE selection they have. I mean tons and tons and tons of records - but when you go into a vinyl section for a band like Judas Priest, all they ever have is the crap they have put out over the last ten years and maybe one of the classics. How the hell do you not have ALL of the classics in stock at all times? Any kid should be able to wander into Amoeba and walk out with Sin after Sin, Killing Machine and Stained Class. Every time I check the Slayer vinyl section? Empty. ZZ Top? Sure we got the latest greatest hits 3 record set, but you are going to be hard pressed to find Tres Hombres! What the actual fuck????? Who stocks this shit? There should ALWAYS be at least one copy of Tres Hombres vinyl on the floor at any given moment. It is really sad. You know who always has what I want? Discogs. Almost every time. I would rather buy from Amoeba because I could get it that day....but record stores have lost the plot.
"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself." - Gene Simmons

Offline #2 Pencil

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 11:53:53 PM »
Our biggest store in Aus is JB now like Bigval said. Unfortunately they have got the same. Always the latest WB, Sony reissues. The shitty ones at that. The bonus now is you can preorder the Ipecac stuff so you don’t have to go in. Just hope Ipecac get it right 🤦‍♂️
I used to like going in and walking their movie sections. Sometimes you’d find some worthy stuff. Now its just easier to get it online from the distributors.
I remember when my amp shit itself and I went in to buy a new one. I pulled it out to look at the connections for all my stuff, I have full analogue and digital, even explained this to the salesman. I was looking at a Onkyo, was up there in price (can’t remember actually, but the price didn’t matter to me). He was trying to talk me into a Sonos set up. I ended up saying,
Mate, explain how I hook a turntable, tape deck and vcr up to that. Fuck off then. They guy couldn’t comprehend how my couch is connected to my Sub, and had no clue what sacd was.
I heard their periods attract bears

Offline Bigval

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 05:28:36 AM »
I used to like going in and walking their movie sections. Sometimes you’d find some worthy stuff. Now its just easier to get it online from the distributors.

Speaking as a movie lover the best for finding the hard to get stuff is Cash Converters. I know the stuff is second hand and things can be scratched and damaged but for example I had always been wanting to find this horror movie called Strangeland. Dee Snider from Twisted Sister played the killer in it and I think was even involved in the writing and funding of it.

Anyway I've never seen it or been able to find a copy and just the other day I found it on DVD in a Cashies for the princely sum of 10 cents. I'm sure it will be crap but all good things come to those who wait.

Offline ))))((((

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
  • Genesis 1:2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 06:36:02 AM »
Ive been so bored with films lately, that if I do find one I like, I download it and put it to vhs and make my own rental cover.
Wow. That's pretty novel and kinda cool idea. I certainly don't long for the days of VHS myself but all the power to you.

Offline sadcorps

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 12:09:15 PM »
Ive been so bored with films lately, that if I do find one I like, I download it and put it to vhs and make my own rental cover.
Wow. That's pretty novel and kinda cool idea. I certainly don't long for the days of VHS myself but all the power to you.

That is pretty dope!
"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself." - Gene Simmons

Offline dead mike

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • The lie is a condition of life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 01:18:11 PM »

I liked that he sunk the boot into record stores a bit, they often get overlooked in all this. I remember growing up when I frequented record stores in the mid-late 90's here in Australia at least the standard price for CD's was $30 and even some like imports and hard to get shit like the first Fantomas album were $40. Absolute thievery someone was making a fucking killing and it wasn't the kids behind the counters.

Then everything changed when the big chain stores like JB Hi-Fi opened set all their CD's at $20 each completely under cutting the traditional record stores and soon enough put them all out of business. Like within 1-2 years they were all gone then downloads hit with file sharing and it changed forever.

But we've all been told to mourn and help support the poor 'mom & pop' record stores with RSD and this stuff but those bastards got way too greedy gouging the fuck out of us young ones thus killing themselves in the process.

I used to get on well with one RS owner back then and then after about 20 years I bumped into him again at a record fair a few years ago still selling the same shit records he was trying to sell back then when he had a bricks & mortar store and he said his store ended when an employee stole like a thousand bucks from him or something. Yeah I'm sure that's what it did it if you're sailing that close to the wind you shouldn't be in business.

This was a guy that used to sell me a naive teenager at the time Green Day bootleg CD's for $35-$40 each, bootlegs literally illegal to even sell. I was a huge GD fan back then in the 90's so I would scrimp and save to get them I probably bought 4-5 of them from him only to find out a few years later they were worthless and I couldn't even trade them in for $1 each.

He was British so had stacks of a lot of their bands and he was always trying to talk me into buying albums from Teenage Fanclub he said they sounded just like GD. They sounded nothing like GD they were pop rock he was just trying to swindle me because he had a lot of their albums sitting their gathering dust they weren't a popular band here.

I remember too towards the end he got one of his mates from England to move out here too and started working for him. I would go bouncing in there all excited and this RS owner who I thought I was kind of friends with would then start making jokes at my expense in front of this mate of his just like that overnight I had basically become comic relief for two sad fucks in their 40's sitting their bored all day getting no business. So I stopped going in there and they closed a year or two later.

There were a few other record store owners in my city who were just completely miserable guys so them and the mate/prick above and their ripoff gouging of myself and all the other young naive customers at the time doesn't leave me with much sympathy for them.
Ha, this story brings back memories of frequenting my local comic book shop when I was a kid and being "friends" with the dude working the register. It gradually dawned on me the guy was a loser who realized too late that he had devoted his life to inane pursuits and so passive-aggressively turned his frustrations on his naive adolescent clientele, even as he tried to shake them down for their allowance money. Since then, I've always assumed every retail "collectible" shop is owned by or employs such bitter individuals. In the three, maybe four, times a year I go to a record shop, I limit my browsing time, and I never, ever allow myself to get drawn into chit-chatting with them.

Offline amazonAMAZON

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 05:33:12 PM »
I used to move through Amoeba with so many CDs in hand so quickly people mistook me for an employee, without fail.

There's still a good shop up in Studio City called Freakbeat. They probably survived due to influx of promos and some good appraisals on incoming collection dumps.

I rarely chit hat with the staff, headphones helps.
"Get up, open the curtains and smell the Melvins." -jules

Offline sadcorps

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 07:39:27 PM »
I used to move through Amoeba with so many CDs in hand so quickly people mistook me for an employee, without fail.

There's still a good shop up in Studio City called Freakbeat. They probably survived due to influx of promos and some good appraisals on incoming collection dumps.

I rarely chit hat with the staff, headphones helps.

I like Freakbeat. I always walk out of there with a record I did not think I would find.