Singles 1-12

Started by Dan_Gerous, October 02, 2003, 08:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anaconda

Quote from: anaconda on February 12, 2007, 01:36:33 PM
Jacksonville

You know, I don't think this is going very well. I mean,
like 10 percent of the audience wants to fight.
The other 90 percent are totally bored.
So its like, what the fuck am I doing up here, you know.
You know when I am sitting around at home in hollywood,
usually what I'm saying to myself is how much we suck
compared to all the great bands from Jacksonville.
I'm thinking how much my life sucks compared to what it
would be like if I just lived in Jacksonville.
Unfortunately, I'm exiled in California.
And you guys are in this hot bed of entertainment,
called Jacksonville. So I think without any further ado,
we will continue by being completley bored ourselves.

Ohh, I'm so damn lonely

...AND I HATE EVERYBODY!
And we hate everyone of you!
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
AHHH!
We Hate you all and want you to die
We Hate You all and want you to die
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
FUCK YOU!
Die!
Die!
Die!
Die!
Die!
Die!
Die!
Die!

meezer

If you don't think Stoner Witch needs editing, with three minutes of what sounds like a microphone being shuffled around in someone's pants. If you don't think Prick and Honky have lots of filler. If you love Spread Eagle Beagle, a long, non-rhythmic Drum solo. Maybe, just maybe I can get some agreement that this is the one that needs editing. Badly. Lexicon Devil is one of their best, ever. Way Of The World, Leech, Poison, Theme, also good to great covers. GGIIBBYY is definitely good enough to be on Houdini, in my opinion. In The Rain really cracks me up. I'm always singing it in reference to my Sister-In-Law. I don't Like you, or anything about you.... Also a great alternate version of the Bloat. It's great with slide guitar. It's great without it. Specimen is groovy, but creepy. After those, I don't listen to much of the other stuff.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Dumpster D

Specimen best captures The LIVE CONCERT sound of this band in the mid 90s.

One of the best. Sounds like they pulled this off during a sound check.

sounds like they borrowed some pedals from Alex Newport too.  8)

meezer

Quote from: Dumpster D on March 11, 2014, 12:18:33 AM
Specimen best captures The LIVE CONCERT sound of this band in the mid 90s.

One of the best. Sounds like they pulled this off during a sound check.

sounds like they borrowed some pedals from Alex Newport too.  8)
Name doesn't ring a bell. But any musician with a ridiculous amount of EFX pedals is worth checking out. 8)
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

meezer

Listened to first song (Fudge Tunnel). That's pretty tight. Someone loaned me one of their tapes in high school, about '90. It just didn't click at the time. Now this sounds like something I would listen to.

GrimReaper

Lexicon Devil was recorded for the Germs tribute album. A great tune, but when the band found out Courtney also contributed I think they lost interset in the project.

Dumpster D

I forgot Alex Newport also got production credit on STAG.
8) 8) 8)

amazonAMAZON

PRO TIP: Use a media player or youtube to play them as 12 songs from the A-sides only. Then later play just the 12 b-sides.

I had always hoped they would do a letterpress version with this track layout.

SIDE A Album: you get a powerful album of eight awesome cover songs, some rare Melvins songs, one epic live improv, and a pleasant noise experiment to close it out. No filler!

Then on the almost unlistenable b-side disc you start to get into some chickenswitch/colossus/prick territory with the occasional brilliant payoff. Ten minutes of A&R demos leads off before you get to Theresa Screams and some actual near-classic Melvins tracks.

It's the only way I can listen to the album(s) now. It makes so much sense! And I love Prick and I enjoy the other challenging/experimental Melvins full-lengths so rediscovering this wicked record is a true joy.

Dumpster D

I could do that If I owned the Actual Singles, using a tape deck. I SO SO WISH.

rudy76179

Quote from: GrimReaper on October 02, 2003, 12:42:32 PM

Jacksonville and Dallas are fucken clasics. I would have loved to be there. Imagine the huge balls Buzz has to stand in front of a hostile crowd and tell them all to fuck off. I always wonder how the songs were created. They had to have been planned in advance, on hold so to speak for the right group of ass-holes in the crowd.

Those were not planned I was at the Dallas show what happened was the crowd was ripping up the particle board that was covering the Ice on the floor(Fair Park Collesium had minor league hockey at that time) and throwing it on stage so The Melvins seemed to love but then responded making constant noise Dale Crover just kept hitting the gong constantly and making a giant middle finger with the drum sticks. The part in the song where he's saying "what's the matter?"  is because the  crowd stopped throwing particle board knelt down on their knees and turned away from the stage. And thats where King Buzzo  starts his made up song "Come on Dallas"

(the) Razor

Thanks for posting that.
Don't click this

coodies

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on April 19, 2014, 01:06:01 AM
PRO TIP: Use a media player or youtube to play them as 12 songs from the A-sides only. Then later play just the 12 b-sides.

I had always hoped they would do a letterpress version with this track layout.

SIDE A Album: you get a powerful album of eight awesome cover songs, some rare Melvins songs, one epic live improv, and a pleasant noise experiment to close it out. No filler!

Then on the almost unlistenable b-side disc you start to get into some chickenswitch/colossus/prick territory with the occasional brilliant payoff. Ten minutes of A&R demos leads off before you get to Theresa Screams and some actual near-classic Melvins tracks.

It's the only way I can listen to the album(s) now. It makes so much sense! And I love Prick and I enjoy the other challenging/experimental Melvins full-lengths so rediscovering this wicked record is a true joy.

Oh i found it in the melvins album discussion, nice tip amazonAMAZON!

coodies

Oh, you meant putting all the a's from the first disc, then the a's from the second disc. Then do the b's the same. That would look like:

Lexicon Devil
In The Rain
Leech
Way Of The World
It's Shoved
GGIIBBYY
Poison
Specimen
Jacksonville
The Bloat
Nasty Dogs And Funky Kings
How--++--Harry Launders Walking Stick Tree
Pigtro
Spread Eagle
Queen
Theme
Forgotten Principles
Theresa Screams
Double Troubled
All At Once
Dallas
Fast Forward
HDYF
Zodiac

amazonAMAZON

I'm finally happy with my edit of this album:

1. Lexicon Devil 01:42
2. GGIIBBYY 03:09
3. Pigtro 03:54
4. Poison 03:33
5. Jacksonville 07:36
6. Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings 02:34
7. In the Rain 01:30
8. Way of the World 03:58
9. Specimen 06:45
10. Theme 03:19
11. Double Troubled 05:15
12. Dallas 06:14
13. Fast Forward 04:03
14. HDYF 06:28
15. Theresa Screams 04:13

Any song that already appears on another album is out ("It's Shoved," "The Bloat," "Leech"). The unlistenable demo tracks are out ("All at Once," Queen"). "Pigtro" here represents all those noise b-sides that were cut.

It still starts with "Lexicon Devil" which is the highlight, and why I could never leave this album alone. It's mostly A-sides up front and B-sides in the latter half, but sequenced for what I think is a solid listening experience.

"In the Rain" gets moved to follow "Jacksonville" as a nice palette cleanser with its crisp snare work. "Nasty Dogs" bridges them together.

"HDYF" and "Theresa" close it out, both highlights of the deep cuts to help you stick it out on the looser second half.