Stoner Witch

Started by The Chalupa, October 23, 2003, 03:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the crybaby

as far as i know ther are 2 LP pressings:
offical pressing from atlantic: all on pink wax with gatefold cover (don't know how many have been pressed)
counterfeit pressing from germany: black wax with slip-in cover

DC

Big shout out to Stoner Witch; helped me break through a slump and achieve a new squat PR.

Topaz

I have trouble listening to the first 4 tracks because they sound too polished and commercial (e.g. Revolve). It's a good introduction for newbies, though.

LuckMach3

Quote from: Topaz on February 26, 2016, 08:02:20 PM
I have trouble listening to the first 4 tracks because they sound too polished and commercial (e.g. Revolve). It's a good introduction for newbies, though.

This is a comment I'll never understand when Melvins fans say it.

Skweetis is a pretty brutal and weird intro by mainstream standards.

Queen only sounds mainstream by The Melvins standards.  I emailed an mp3 of this song to a friend years ago thinking he'd love it but he hated it.  The drums were too weird for him and he couldn't grasp the timing of the song.  When I think about it no mainstream song sounds anything like Queen.

Sweet Willy Rollbar is played in an odd time signature and ends in about a minute.  Once again it's too weird for the average radio listener.

Revolve is probably the closest they've ever come to having a song that sounds like it could be played on the radio.  The intro is still pretty weird though.  On a side note as much as I love Tool I swear they stole the main riff from this song for Lateralus. 
Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

meezer

Agreed. This was the first Melvins album I bought, after the hiccup of buying Prick first. It was so weird that it took me about a year of listening to it, just to figure out what the hell these guys were getting to.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

goldennuggetrecordings

yeah for a very long time, i considered queen one of my favorite songs. ive still never heard anything like it.

dont like revolve though. my first melvins cd was a mix burned from napster or limewire or something like that... it was 36 songs long, and i would put it on random and every other song or so my cd player would play revolve cause it was the last song. i dont think theyre algorithm accounted for 36 tracks or something. anyway burned me out in a real hurry. never really recovered either.

now id say one of my favorites off stoner witch is road bull... which used to be one that i didnt like. wasnt until i heard a live version of it where he sang the vocals more aggressively that it clicked.

OZMAtt

Quote from: goldennuggetrecordings on March 03, 2016, 05:53:34 PM
yeah for a very long time, i considered queen one of my favorite songs. ive still never heard anything like it.

dont like revolve though.

Stoner Witch is what really made me want more albums by this band. This was probably my second Melvins album (first was Houdini). But for some reason I am not a big fan of Revolve either. I always skip that song.

Jimmy

Does anyone know approximately when Stoner Witch was recorded?

I understand that it took 19 days, but when were those days, in late '93 and/or early '94, or after Prick, which was in April 1994?

GiveMe45

Quote from: Jimmy on July 08, 2020, 04:04:08 PM

I understand that it took 19 days, but when were those days, in late '93 and/or early '94, or after Prick, which was in April 1994?
Pretty sure there's a good in-depth interview about recording the album which may include some dates.  It may be in the Wiki somewhere - http://themelvins.net/wiki/index.php/Melvins_Articles

Jimmy

I've seen those before; still no dates!

jules

Quote from: Jimmy on July 08, 2020, 04:04:08 PM

Peebot might know. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you sent him a PM.

))))((((

I haven't returned back to Stoner Witch for a while and listened to the song Queen last night. Immediately i was struck with how much slower the song is than i remembered. I think i have grown accustomed to the quicker tempos the band have performed it live plus the Five Legged Dog version which is also quite quick. I really like how they performed it here. It works really well faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAMR1G9NH0A

black stallion

true, all Melvins songs tend to be performed faster live
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

black stallion

29 years today, this album is pure perfection
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian