The Maggot

Started by Joe Deutrom, September 17, 2005, 05:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bathroom creep

Quote from: SpaceFarm on November 05, 2008, 06:28:13 AM
Quote from: rhett E rock on November 04, 2008, 10:16:38 AM
this album grew on me as well.  now i think it fucking owns.  what's all these people complaining about the drumsound?  i like it, it sounds ambiguously heavy.  the end of the fucking Horn Bearer, jesus christ...i would love to see the new line up play that and the Green Manalishi live.

If you were referring to me , I think it was because I just preferred the massive sound Dale's drums had on some earlier album like Lysol. But now, I realize it's pretty good the way it is.

They're just a tad quiet at times.  But maybe that's just me.  Other than that I love the Maggot sound;  Manky must be the heaviest, most evil song my ears have ever heard and will probably ever get to hear.

By the way, I never really thought of that but I think Manky wouldn't be the same without the disturbing tension of the intro.
Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.

Centripetal core of soul sojourn the field vibrates to absolution. I climb toward the sun to breathe the universal.

Have you seen the bridge?  I ain't seen the bridge!  Where's that confounded bridge?!

Randall Mario Poffo

Quote from: norecess on November 04, 2008, 11:31:03 AM
The Maggot is not a grower, it just rocks. Period.
Exactly, it didn't grow on me, it hit me right in the face.

amazon is one of my favorite songs. Buzzo's voice plus the twisted rhythm of the song blow me away.
I saw Dale Crover (again) and his name is God.

Ministry Fiend

This is the Melvins best "heavy" album by a country mile. Puts ALL other heavy bands to shame.

youwontlikeme

Anyone know what the AMAZON, and Manky lyrics mean? Even just the general theme?

jlamour

Can anyone point me in the direction of ripping this cd to play straight through without any skips?  Sorry, I'm ignorant of computer stuff.  I use Ubuntu for crissake.  This is by far my favorite Melvins album and I've followed it on eBay for a few years but haven't afforded to justify buying it for $$$$$ on vinyl.  I just need a little advice on how to rip it and listen to it without the skips, for my own personal pleasure of course.  Thanks.

Metalhead Cow

The Horn Bearer is such a crushing song. I would love to hear that one live with two drummers! Don't think they've ever played that song live though.

(((O)))

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on June 22, 2012, 01:44:07 AM
The Horn Bearer is such a crushing song.
An absolute, underrated monster that one.

TheMaggot

I love this album probably most of all and here's why:

-you know how it's tied to the circumstances of in your life you associate the album with that time in your life making you like it etc-, at the time I just happened to put in a subwoofer amp and cabinet in the trunk of my car, and a cd player with the dashboard lighter adapter for power. it had a little bass button a sony super bass or whatever and the bass on the first part of manky was perfect to test and check the frequency levels haha. also it sounds great with deep bass AMAZON, Pretty/Smart.. really all of it, it opens up with Dylan by Crover is it? I had a visual monitor for bass loudness at the time and that was, however distorted the image in the rear view mirror was, when it was totally indecipherable as to what the hell you were looking at then your bass was at the right level. Already a Melvins fanatic at this point the Ipecac thing made it more exciting to me, Also that the Maggot and California came out less than a month apart so that album loosed a screw or two in the chassis I'm sure at the same time period being as my regularr employ involved lots of driving.
Ph

borislikesitall

an album that continues In the Freaktose the Bugs are Dying

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

amazonAMAZON

THOUGHTS:

This album has the unique distinction for me of requiring zero time to grow on me. I bought it new at the store around the original release, took it home, and it has been a favorite ever since.

I love the split tracks. I think it's one of the best attacks in Buzz's career long campaign to subvert CD track numbering.

To answer a question from four years ago... Open your CD drive, stick in The Maggot, open your CD ripping program (ExactAudioCopy is good in windows) and select to burn the entire CD to CUE format. This will produce two files, one called the maggot.cue which you could delete, and the other which is the maggot.wav which you can play seamlessly in any audio program.

BERZERKER

If I haven't said it earlier, then I say it now: This is Melvins finest masterpiece, no album in the world can top The Maggot, absolutely no album.

the bloat

Yep. It's a "desert island" record for me. I love every song Melvins have ever made, but this particular collection gets played the most.

the bloat

It must have to do with it being their first release on Ipecac. Maybe they felt they had something to prove. Maybe the label just said, "alright guys, quit fucking around, we want to see what you can really do." This is their "metal" album. The heaviest, fastest and most straightforward trax laid to tape.

#2 Pencil

Greg and Mike got the record every other label wanted. Buzz knew they wouldn't fuck him over.

This record does have a significant jump from previous efforts and I see what you mean.
I heard their periods attract bears