Author Topic: HOLY FUCKING SHIT PLEASE READ!!  (Read 144254 times)

Offline Green Honey

• godfather of grunge
    • View Profile
    • bookface
Re: HOLY FUCKING SHIT PLEASE READ!!
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2005, 01:50:20 PM »

Offline Andy

• ♥'s Butt Drugs
    • View Profile
    • last.fm page
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2005, 06:00:21 PM »

Bumpity bump. Have some more good karma.
For your health!

Lividity

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2005, 07:22:19 PM »
Karma is suck!

( I'm just jealous because I've only been applauded once.  :?)

DubEMC

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2005, 08:22:22 PM »
Karma is suck!

( I'm just jealous because I've only been applauded once.

Lividity

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2005, 08:25:31 PM »
Haha, thanks.

13, but I'm gonna be 14 in a few weeks. Hope it doesn't make a difference or anything, it hasn't so far.

DubEMC

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2005, 08:29:33 PM »
Of course not man.
I was just curious.
Some of us here probably weren't very cool when we were 13.

Offline THE DON

• melvins is gay
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2005, 11:20:29 PM »
Lividity dont trip. im only 18,  you aint alone here  8)
dudumumu

Offline youllneverbe

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2005, 03:49:23 AM »
Haha, thanks.

13, but I'm gonna be 14 in a few weeks. Hope it doesn't make a difference or anything, it hasn't so far.

The only difference I can see is that you have better spelling and grammar than anyone else on here. Your posts are always neat and well punctuated. Well done.

Whether it's the way you write all the time or just a safeguard against letting slip a few "LOLLER"s or perhaps even a "TEH MEVLINS!!!!1" is yet to be seen.....

...... Just kidding mate. Ageists in the 'alternative music' scene are the fucking worst. If I had a quid for every time when I was in my young teens I got told "...well they weren't as good as when I saw em in 86 with Voivod at the Marquee - christ, that was a hell of a show. I bet you weren't even BORN then were ya? Well, obviously nowadays is nowhere NEAR as good as the scene in the 80s bla bla bla bla bla....." by drunken 35-year old metalheads I'd have enough money to buy at least their Reign In Blood 12". But then, the regular metal scene is way more closed-minded than any textbook 'Melvins fanbase' (if such a group could be defined).

Younger people talking to older people is how great music gets passed on. When I was younger, I was very self-conscious about my age (I was almost a full decade younger than most of the people I used to get musical suggestions from) and I think I was looked down upon by a few of them. However, nowadays all they do is work and drink, they have absolutely no attachment to anything recent or developing in the world of music, and they're just those people that you occasionally see standing at the bar gruffly, wondering why it just doesn't feel the same as it did fifteen years ago.

Young people who are genuine music fans have more enthusiasm towards finding new music than, say, your average gig-going 25-year-old.

It's especially good that you (Lividity) are into The Melvins 'cos it seems like they're more a 'band's band' than a 'punter's band' (I'm not sure if you have the slang word 'punter' in the US - it sort of means 'average Mr. Joe Consumer'). I see way more bands namecheck them than punters. This was how I got into Neurosis too - so many interviews have some mention of The Melvins or Neurosis or Swans or something like that, but I ask so many people if they're into any of those bands and an uninterested face is their reply.

When and how did you get into The Melvins? I'm curious as to how a 13-year-old has any sort of gateway, unless you have an older sibling or something...?

Offline anaconda

• snake in the grass
  • Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • Brad Black Design Group
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2005, 10:15:22 AM »
It's not that rare, I got into the Melvins as a 15 yr old when my older
brother (18 at the time) gave me his copy of Bullhead on cassette!
Still grooving to them 12 years later.

Lividity

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2005, 12:59:09 PM »
The "Come As You Are" book. I read the book and  they kept saying the Melvins were great, and they sounded crazy from their descriptions, which I liked. So I punched up "The Melvins" on Amazon.com and checked out the samples. The first one I heard was "At The Stake" and I was totally blown away. So I asked my mom for Stoner Witch. I got Houdini instead since they didn't have SW, but it was excellent nonetheless.

And thanks for the compliment on my typing. I do that mostly because it's way easier to read, unlike the AIM profiles that have "OMGgg MIA B-daizz cominn in TO Daizzz lol!!!!!". Man, I hate that crap.

klump

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2005, 02:04:22 PM »
when I was 14 I listened to the Rolling Stones and the sex pistols.

I got into the melvins through Nirvana, Im not ashamed of that. I dont have an older brother or anything so its great when bands you like namechecks other good bands.

But Im not a big Nirvana fan anymore, hehe.

norecess

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2005, 02:27:35 PM »

May I ask why? You obviously liked 'em before you go into the Melvins, how come not anymore?

Lividity

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2005, 04:00:46 PM »
Lividity, you listen to better music than I did at 13, and you also write better. Good on ya, as they say. No one will slam you for your age in here, but look the fuck out if Bullhead isn't your favourite album.

klump

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »

May I ask why? You obviously liked 'em before you go into the Melvins, how come not anymore?

because they werent that great.
good, but not great.

Ive listened to a lot of stuff im embarrassed by now.

not that im embarrassed by nirvana.

Offline TGH

• knows moss
  • B
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2005, 05:04:46 PM »
Sadly, I've only been listening to the Melvins for almost two years now. I think I'm one of the few who heard of them through Fantomas of all bands.
This isn't a time for lectures!