Post your Melvins collection

Started by Chuck Hartford, June 05, 2006, 01:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddy holiday

Quote from: jules on February 11, 2020, 09:47:41 AM
2 to go, 2 to trade

awesome jules! persistence is soooooo rewarding!

moose

Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

Pelican

Hey Dumpster D, sorry I didn't reply to your last post! I know I saw it, I must have gotten distracted between reading it and replying to you.

I haven't tested the resistance of the pickups. I do have a voltmeter, just not sure what setting to put it on to test pickups. I know the G&L MFDs are supposed to be pretty hot/powerful compared to other J pickups.

So... based on what I'm going to post below, yes the action is quite high, most likely out of not being set up for a long time. I think I might take it to my local guy who's great at setting up basses and have him give it a once over. Normally I don't mind trying to adjust things on my instruments, but this one I'm not really wanting to mess around with. Plus, the truss rod is adjusted at the base of the neck, I really don't want to take the neck off myself.

And here it is. The green "Shove It" bass. I had asked Kevin a few times over the course of the years about this one. He put an EGC guitar up for sale and I started another conversation with him. Long story short, he sold it to me. With a slide! And a road case! The road case is really cool too, it's beat to hell, got all kinds of airline stickers and some baggage claim stuff on it with his name, and a handwritten Fantomas itemized gear label. This bass is in similar condition to the orange one. Three of four knobs broken off. Dings, dents and scratches throughout. But it still plays and sounds incredible. The D string tuner has been replaced, original broken off at some point. Both basses are signed on the back side of the headstock by Eric Chaz, this one has a date which is cool. There are a few slight differences between the way each was built. The green one has a forearm relief cut into the body. The headstocks are slightly different shaped, the green one's headstock is painted, obviously the inlays are different. I think the orange one's fretboard is rosewood and the green one is ebony? I need to check with my luthier friend to confirm that. Also, the green one's action is considerably lower, making me think that the orange one just needs a set up. The frets on the green one are lower as well, and don't have grooves worn into them. My guess is that it's had a fret crown/polish. I like big frets on bass guitars, but these lower ones feel awesome and now I wish the rest of my basses had frets like these. When I got it, it didn't have either strap button, and the one at the bridge had it's screw broken clean off off with the threaded part stuck in the wood with no head, twice! Fortunately I was able to extract one of those broken screws and replace both buttons.

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

Rusty Shackleford

I tip my cap to you, sir.   =D> =D> =D>

Are they very heavy? 

WGB

I took a nice photo of some of the gear I had the other day, the two orange cabs used to belong to Buzz for their Euro rig. As soon as he got endorsed by bareface and felt how light they were the back breakers were out the window.

I was gonna crop the other amps out, but it's nice to look at amps sometimes.

Rusty Shackleford

Nice.  Is that an old Silvertone? 

Pelican

WGB

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on February 12, 2020, 12:54:06 PM
Nice.  Is that an old Silvertone?

No idea of year, but yeah Silvertone, going by the adapter it's pretty old. Sounds awful. It got sold to me cheap cause it needed work, it's all valve related but it's at the bottom of the pile. Recently had my ampeg and JMP revalved and then Christmas happened and other excuses that take my money away.

Stonergrunge

Holy shit!!! I can't believe he sold both longhorn basses, I have always wanted to get the green one, maybe someday I will try to get in touch with Eric Chaz.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

black stallion

hey Pelican, for some strange reasons i had missed your posts.. so let me say K. Rutmanis must be totally crazy to have sold those basses, i'm shocked to say the least. with this said you made such a great deal.
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Pelican

Quote from: black stallion on February 14, 2020, 03:38:35 PM
hey Pelican, for some strange reasons i had missed your posts.. so let me say K. Rutmanis must be totally crazy to have sold those basses, i'm shocked to say the least. with this said you made such a great deal.

I don't think he's played them much at all for a few years. He's been playing his Bass VI pretty exclusively. I asked him about that and he said it's got a little more range. On the Conan Nuetron podcast he mentioned that he does still have an old G&L SB-2 and that it's his favorite bass. Not sure if that's the same one from his Cows days or not.

black stallion

Quote from: Pelican on February 15, 2020, 07:37:00 AM
Quote from: black stallion on February 14, 2020, 03:38:35 PM

I don't think he's played them much at all for a few years. He's been playing his Bass VI pretty exclusively. I asked him about that and he said it's got a little more range. On the Conan Nuetron podcast he mentioned that he does still have an old G&L SB-2 and that it's his favorite bass. Not sure if that's the same one from his Cows days or not.

yeah, i saw the bass he's currently using... must be some alluminum neck six strings bass  (egc?) ... still there's no way i would have sold those basses. lucky you!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Dumpster D

Quote from: Pelican on February 12, 2020, 10:23:46 AM
Hey Dumpster D, sorry I didn't reply to your last post! I know I saw it, I must have gotten distracted between reading it and replying to you.

I haven't tested the resistance of the pickups. I do have a voltmeter, just not sure what setting to put it on to test pickups. I know the G&L MFDs are supposed to be pretty hot/powerful compared to other J pickups.

So... based on what I'm going to post below, yes the action is quite high, most likely out of not being set up for a long time. I think I might take it to my local guy who's great at setting up basses and have him give it a once over. Normally I don't mind trying to adjust things on my instruments, but this one I'm not really wanting to mess around with. Plus, the truss rod is adjusted at the base of the neck, I really don't want to take the neck off myself.

And here it is. The green "Shove It" bass. I had asked Kevin a few times over the course of the years about this one. He put an EGC guitar up for sale and I started another conversation with him. Long story short, he sold it to me. With a slide! And a road case! The road case is really cool too, it's beat to hell, got all kinds of airline stickers and some baggage claim stuff on it with his name, and a handwritten Fantomas itemized gear label. This bass is in similar condition to the orange one. Three of four knobs broken off. Dings, dents and scratches throughout. But it still plays and sounds incredible. The D string tuner has been replaced, original broken off at some point. Both basses are signed on the back side of the headstock by Eric Chaz, this one has a date which is cool. There are a few slight differences between the way each was built. The green one has a forearm relief cut into the body. The headstocks are slightly different shaped, the green one's headstock is painted, obviously the inlays are different. I think the orange one's fretboard is rosewood and the green one is ebony? I need to check with my luthier friend to confirm that. Also, the green one's action is considerably lower, making me think that the orange one just needs a set up. The frets on the green one are lower as well, and don't have grooves worn into them. My guess is that it's had a fret crown/polish. I like big frets on bass guitars, but these lower ones feel awesome and now I wish the rest of my basses had frets like these. When I got it, it didn't have either strap button, and the one at the bridge had it's screw broken clean off off with the threaded part stuck in the wood with no head, twice! Fortunately I was able to extract one of those broken screws and replace both buttons.

Not even gonna ask what you paid...Now I'm wondering why all the knobs are busted.  :-k :-k :-k