Killer Melvins guitar reefs

Started by Michael Jordan, August 11, 2006, 10:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainPungent

my favorite riffs at the moment by some of the studio albums (atleast 3 per LP, discounting collab w/jello), riff on geetar-

gpt- eye flys, dont piece me, influence of atmosphere, happy grey or black, leeech, glowgod
ozma- vile, oven, koolegged, agonizer, ever since my accident, revulsion/we reach, claude. small percent
bullhead- boris, anaconda, zodiac, ligature
eggnog- hog leg, charmicarmicat
lysol/s.t.- hung bunny, roman dog bird, with teeth
dale crover- all of the songs (so fuckkking heavy)
king buzzo- isabella, skeeter
houdini- hooch, night goat, lizzy, honey bucket, hag me
prick- larry
stoner witch- skweetis, sweet willy rollbar, at the stake
stag- the bit, tipping the lion, buck owens, skin horse, berthas
honky- mombius hibachi, lovely butterfly, in the freaktose the bugs are dying
the maggot- AMAZON/amazon, manky, the horn bearer
the bootlicker- let it all be, up the dumper, prig (my favorite acoustic riff ever)
the crybaby- mine is no disgrace, divorced, moon pie
electroretard- youth of america, missing, lovely butterfly
HAT- dr. geek, little judas chongo, the fool the meddling idiot
HAT single- jerkin' krokus
pigs of roman empire- bloated pope, pink bat, safety third
live houdini- pearl bomb, joan of arc, hag me
senile animale- talking horse, blood witch, history of bad men, mechanical bride

non-album- scared, lexicon devil, leech, ggiibbyy, euthenasia

this is just at the moment, i love them all and it changes.

Dead Cowboy

On the whole, GPT as an album is the greatest guitar wankfest (the good kinda wankfest) I have ever heard.

All the more impressive is that its their debut.

CaptainPungent

Quote from: Dead Cowboy on May 06, 2007, 04:26:46 PM
On the whole, GPT as an album is the greatest guitar wankfest (the good kinda wankfest) I have ever heard.

spoken beautifully

TJP

this dude speaks the truth

sebo

Quote from: TJP on May 07, 2007, 10:42:53 AM

this dude speaks the truth
Oh yeah.

MailOrderBride

i play zodiac and the bit A LOT but i probably play anaconda the most. one of the first songs i learned on guitar was lizzy. it's pretty easy.

Andy Wood

Easy As It Was
Grinding Process
Sacrifice
Don't Piece Me
Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More (yeah its a Mudhoney cover, but it kicks so much more ass than the original)

LEEECH!!!!
experimental industrial ambient nothings. give constructive/destructive criticism.

http://www.myspace.com/sewerbaby

Dead Cowboy

TJP

Quote from: MailOrderBride on May 07, 2007, 09:33:12 PM
i play zodiac and the bit A LOT but i probably play anaconda the most. one of the first songs i learned on guitar was lizzy. it's pretty easy.

how often do you play along to the melvins on guitar?

MailOrderBride

i dont really play along to the melvins but you know there are those riffs you play whenever you pick up a new guitar or whatever?

although i would like to cover anaconda.

CaptainPungent

Quote from: MailOrderBride on May 11, 2007, 12:35:23 AM
i dont really play along to the melvins but you know there are those riffs you play whenever you pick up a new guitar or whatever?

although i would like to cover anaconda.
i've only played anaconda on the kit alone, if i were to play it with anyone, i'd get way too into it at the end/2nd half.

CaptainPungent

Quote from: Dudbean on May 11, 2007, 06:49:34 PM
Quote from: CaptainPungent on May 11, 2007, 10:36:13 AM
i've only played anaconda on the kit alone, if i were to play it with anyone, i'd get way too into it at the end/2nd half.

Do you play the first three high-hat beats the same way Dale does? Most people don't seem to notice that part, but I think it's one of the greatest things Dale has ever done. It seems so simple, but it's sort of a tricky, weird little part that I would put in my "favourite drum moments" list.
yep, i love seeing clips of him doing it live.  that's the thing about dale, he's hitting a shitload a lot more in different directions/things/etc. that it seems simple enough but actually isn't.  it's pretty amazing.  he went to hitting something light instead of loud and heavy, but it came across still heavy, pretty cool technique.
good rainy day song

Stonergrunge

I go with Honey Bucket, Night Goat, Joan Of Arc, Boris, Revolve, The Bloated Pope, amazon, The Horn Bearer, Mombius Hibachi and specially the big and slow songs such as Roman Dog Bird and Hag me.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

CaptainPungent

Quote from: Dudbean on May 15, 2007, 10:30:26 PM
Quote from: CaptainPungent on May 11, 2007, 07:33:41 PM
Quote from: Dudbean on May 11, 2007, 06:49:34 PM
Quote from: CaptainPungent on May 11, 2007, 10:36:13 AM

Do you play the first three high-hat beats the same way Dale does? Most people don't seem to notice that part, but I think it's one of the greatest things Dale has ever done. It seems so simple, but it's sort of a tricky, weird little part that I would put in my "favourite drum moments" list.
yep, i love seeing clips of him doing it live.  that's the thing about dale, he's hitting a shitload a lot more in different directions/things/etc. that it seems simple enough but actually isn't.  it's pretty amazing.  he went to hitting something light instead of loud and heavy, but it came across still heavy, pretty cool technique.
good rainy day song

Are we talking about the same thing, Captain P? I was thinking more about how the first three hits of the high-hat are half a beat ahead of where they should be. It totally fucked me up on air drums the first time I heard it.
yeah, my bad, i read yours incorrectly.
ah, the first hihat to floor toms back to hihat rhythm i stayed honest to when i play it, it's recognizable to anyone who's a fan like us on this site who listen to it continuous, it's not hard i think...just very unique drumwork, intelligent planning.