Killer Melvins guitar reefs

Started by Michael Jordan, August 11, 2006, 10:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Jordan

ok, so I'm playing drums again after a long long time...    gonna have a jam with a friend who plays guitar sometimes this week and thought I would ask guitarists around here what would be a really cool melvins song to play on guitar.

I mean, I probably listen to the melvins from a "drums persperctive" and since I really can't play guitar, eventhough I can "spot a killer reef" I can't really say if a song is hard/easy/fun to play from a guitarist perspective (hope that makes sense).

My friend listens mainly to old stuff like led zep, blues etc. and I would like to introduce him to some melvins magic. he is a pretty good guitar player.  so any suggestions regarding what melvins songs he might dig playing guitar for are welcome.
Why say no to drugs when you can say yes?

TGH

I feel that Night Goat is the greatest riff to play ever.
This isn't a time for lectures!

grungehead

Quote from: TGH on August 11, 2006, 10:37:38 PM
I feel that Night Goat is the greatest riff to play ever.
agree 100%

Michael Jordan

yeah, the bit was the first one I was thinking of...  definitely a tune that sticks in your head for a long time after u hear it.
Why say no to drugs when you can say yes?

anaconda

the bit acoustically into the bloat with full distortion. thats how we jam it. a medley.

HAG ME

Yeah Night Goat is good and sooooooo SO SO SO easy. Guitar and Bass wise And Sweey Willy Rollbar is great too. They have a ton of awesome riffs when you think about it

klump

CaptainPungent

i repeat myself a lot, and i've got to go with boris.
the song has so much emotion in the guitar, it's crazy.
great song to play with, everyone gets into it.

FartLips

its shoved, and let god be your gardener were songs i always played, drums and guitar respectively.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Mad Arab

Man, there is all sorts. "Larry" is a cool song to figure out. Ditto "The Bit". Perhaps "June Bug" or "Queen" ?

CaptainPungent

Quote from: Mad Arab on August 12, 2006, 11:08:48 AM
Man, there is all sorts. "Larry" is a cool song to figure out. Ditto "The Bit". Perhaps "June Bug" or "Queen" ?
june bug is my favorite song that mark d. influenced and played on.
the bass is so fucking heavy.

The Fool

man... there are so many!!!

some of my other favourites to play among others already mentioned are: shevil, mombius hibachi, we all love judy, manky, up the dumper, jew boy flower head, ol' black stooges, little judas chongo, foaming, pigs of the roman empire...

Take care,
The Fool
take care,
The Fool

HAG ME

Quote from: CaptainPungent on August 13, 2006, 08:23:36 AM
Quote from: Mad Arab on August 12, 2006, 11:08:48 AM
june bug is my favorite song that mark d. influenced and played on.
the bass is so fucking heavy.

Yeah the bass is great in June Bug as in all Melvins stuff I find. I belive that Melvins are some of the few bands that really do something great with the bass and thats also why I wish this site had more bass tabs.

And pigs of the roman empire has some petty awesome guitar init

ManWithNoName