Quick Melvins lyrics question

Started by al27, December 10, 2006, 09:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Arab

Quote from: norecess on December 16, 2006, 12:58:22 PM
I appreciate and respect that you don't try to force your views on others, but still I'm curious how you can listen to a band that put a big swastika on one of their vinyl records, and have done many other questionable stuff. I am just wondering if that is evidence, that you, as many others, care about the music mostly, and not the words they are using in the lyrics. There's a Melvins track on the Singles, Dallas or Jacksonville, on which Buzz repeatedly srceams 'F*** You!' to the audience. Doesn't that stop you from listening to the Melvins? And if (apparently) not, why?

He can select not to buy those particular albums. More often than not, Melvins material does not have profanity.

norecess

Quote from: Joe Deutrom II on December 16, 2006, 02:25:56 PM
Quote from: norecess on December 16, 2006, 12:58:22 PM
I appreciate and respect that you don't try to force your views on others, but still I'm curious how you can listen to a band that put a big swastika on one of their vinyl records, and have done many other questionable stuff. I am just wondering if that is evidence, that you, as many others, care about the music mostly, and not the words they are using in the lyrics. There's a Melvins track on the Singles, Dallas or Jacksonville, on which Buzz repeatedly srceams 'F*** You!' to the audience. Doesn't that stop you from listening to the Melvins? And if (apparently) not, why?

He can select not to buy those particular albums. More often than not, Melvins material does not have profanity.

I know he can, but I want to hear that from him, if that's the case.

tommyhc

Clean

Isn't that a bald guy who polishes floors.

Idlehanz

I like how half this thread is having a great conversation about free speech and cussing and the other is talking about how they organize cd's  :D

Just made me laugh....a little bit.

anaconda

hey al!! are you that old poster 'tony'?
he was a religious hard ass as well.

i bet jesus said 'fuck' when he missed a nail
and hit his thumb.

Idlehanz

al27

Quote from: Joe Deutrom II on December 16, 2006, 02:25:56 PM

Thats pretty much it, thanks Joe.

As far as what the Melvins have done from time to time (swearing at a show, the swastica on the record thing, ect.), if I honestly didn't listen to a band just because they might have cussed on a live set, or said a swear word in their lifetime, my CD collection would drop from around 200 to probably 0.  I mean, I have Jerry Lee Lewis Live At The Star Club, totally clean, enjoyable album, but that guy most definitely some stuff in his lifetime that I wouldn't have agreed with.  But, I don't care about that, I'm certainly not here to judge people.  I care about the music itslef, whats being put down on tape for that particular album, I don't base my buying descisions on who the artists themselves were/are like as human beings.

Like Megadeth for example, they have some stuff on their albums that would keep me from buying most of them.  But they put out a greatest hits (the Capitol Punishment one, not the more recent greatest hits) that was full of songs that do happen to be acceptable by my particular standards.  I own that compilation, even though I'd probably never actually own a Megadeth studio album due to the content on them that I wouldn't choose to listen to.

You can't expect me to collect albums based on whether or not the bands entire catalogue is acceptable to my particular tastes regarding content, just like I couldn't reasonably purchase albums based on whether I think that artist lived a good life or not.

Honestly, I can't believe I'm taking this much heat for having the apparently unbelievable stance that I don't have to listen to swear words if I don't want to.

And no, anaconda, I'm neither "tony" nor a "religious hard ass."  I'm not saying you guys don't have the right to listen to whatever you please.  I understand that, I'm not here to question free speech or anything like that, I very much love the 1st ammendment, I know how valuable those rights are. 

Man, I don't know how my post somehow got interpreted as "you can't listen to Jello Biafra."

-al27

Chuck Hartford

If I where young Allen I'd to say to the fellow board members "Fuck your opinion maybe your a dumb ass . "  Something tells me that he is not going to do that.

norecess

Thanks for your explanation, Al. Even though you sometimes completely disagree with someone, it's good and healthy to be able to talk about it. More people should do that, because at the end of the day we all come here because we share a favorite band.

After your last post, I had to think of Herman Brood's mom. Herman Brood was Holland's most famous 'Rock 'n Roll junkie', and even though he has done some bad things I life no one should be proud of, deep inside he was a real sweetheart I think. I genuinely believe he was not a bad person, and his mother also knew that. He had a close bond with his mom and even though he was a junkie, his mother was able not to think of all the things he had done she would absolutely reject, but always felt this eternal love for her son. They made a few tv appearances where they really showed that, and it was heart warming and real.

al27

Quote from: norecess on December 17, 2006, 07:29:12 AM
Thanks for your explanation, Al. Even though you sometimes completely disagree with someone, it's good and healthy to be able to talk about it.

Well, I'm glad we've come to a better understanding of each other.  I try to be a reasonable person, all I ask is that people try to be the same to me.

Quote from: norecess on December 17, 2006, 07:29:12 AM
More people should do that, because at the end of the day we all come here because we share a favorite band.

Yeah, how about those Melvins?  I started listening to Stoner Witch again today, man what an album.  Its the first Melvins album I ever bought.  I think that one has some of the best drum production of any of 'em.  The drumming on "Revolve" (also known as "Everyone's favorite Metallica song" not that thats a bad thing, I love the song!) just rumbles through my car, its awesome!

And "Sweet Willy Rollbar" was in a Tony Hawk game (thats how I first heard the Melvins) and it bears the distinct title of "The only Melvins song I ever bothered to learn on my guitar."  Killer song!

And "June Bug" wooo, that track just tears!!!

-al27

anaconda

GrimReaper

al27

CaptainPungent

fuckin' goddamn
it's gettin' gay in this mess!

(i'm taking the position of the dickhead of the thread)

i bet ya like stryper, huh honky?
what do you think about the beginning to hog leg?

(i'm just kidding you pal)

Mad Arab

You all need to leave him alone about it. He's already stated his reasons. Do not be threatened if he has standards that he wants to live by.  He's not pushing them on anybody.