(A) Senile Animal

Started by blag jesus himself, August 29, 2006, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Arab

I feel trapped. I can't stop listening to this album. I mean I have been listening to other stuff like early Tubeway Army/Gary Numan, Faith No More and Mr. Bungle lately but I am always going back to this album ever since I got it. What is going on? It's not a bad feeling at all but I have never to my knowledge ever did this with their other stuff even though I love it. I can listen to say Bullhead and after listening to it maybe not hear it again for a month perhaps but ASA is somehow different.

MailOrderBride

its because all the songs run into each other and therefore in your brain it doesnt resolve itself and you have to listen to the whole thing again i had the same problem with the wall.

anaconda

It's true, they recorded all the songs back to back in one take, to do that is brilliant.
you can hear the fading notes and cymbals of the prvious song as the next one starts in
most cases.

Dr. Grimes

I find it really hard to remember the song names from (A)SA for that very reason, the continuity of the whole thing.

ManWithNoName

I get lost after civilizedworm.

Inbetween civilizedworm and history is a blur to me. I have no idea which song is which as far as titles go.

Dr. Grimes

If I'd been involved in Production or whatever, I'd probably have got Buzz to change the sound he had on his guitar for Civilised Worm. It's a little too immediate and sounds like it should be in a chugg-chugg number more than the Worm. Something a bit floatier and fadey maybe.

anaconda

That song makes me think of Screaming Trees for some reason

Te

Hey,

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know what equipment Buzzo used for this album? I'm trying to work out how he gets a specific guitar sound. The best song I can point to is The Hawk for the sound I like, it's a crunchy type guitar effect that reminds me of Adam Jones from Tool, and I love it. Maybe I should try and check out what Adam Jones uses while I'm waiting to see if any of you guys know, I just hope it isn't primarily the guitar he uses, because I'm real stubborn about switching from Fenders.  :P

Hah, I just put The Hawk on again and got the shivers. Fucking awesome sound.

edit : Woops, sorry, typical goddamn newbie. I just found this thread : http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=6966.0

So do you guitar players think is what'll be making that sound? - http://guitargeek.com/gearview/221/

Mad Arab

Gibsons have a completely different tone than Fenders.

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

glen

hey bUTTHOLE!   give me your honest opinion on (A)SA.

I never hear(read) you speak(type) much about your opinions on MELVINS albums.

so,  what do you think of (A)SA for starters?
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

norecess

They'd get a wrong impression, as they would get with any album.

glen

hello???  bUTTHOLE!!  earth to bUTTHOLE,  come in bUTTHOLE.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Bah!  I was falling asleep!  More coffee!  :shock:
I really like ASA; I think of the songs as 'straight ahead rockers' like I'd think of AC/DC as 'straight-ahead-rock' songs.  Live these songs are great, I really loved the mix of songs played on the recent tour.  I haven't listened to the actual album much though; I'll see how they do on constant repeat.
From what I remember the four piece isn't especially noticeable on the albums; but can definitely be heard from recent bootlegs + at live shows. 
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

glen

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on December 10, 2007, 12:20:44 PM
Bah!  I was falling asleep!  More coffee!  :shock:
I really like ASA; I think of the songs as 'straight ahead rockers' like I'd think of AC/DC as 'straight-ahead-rock' songs.  Live these songs are great, I really loved the mix of songs played on the recent tour.  I haven't listened to the actual album much though; I'll see how they do on constant repeat.
From what I remember the four piece isn't especially noticeable on the albums; but can definitely be heard from recent bootlegs + at live shows. 

now you got me started.  please see dedicated to you thread in ecumenical.  :D