Worst Melvins song

Started by Pringles, April 05, 2007, 02:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vince furnier

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 04, 2018, 05:28:37 AM
Quote from: DeeSonyaChin on March 03, 2018, 07:04:03 PM
Very nostalgic.
The albums not even 4 years old!! Unless you meant nostalgic as in songs that have a sense of an older musical sensibility.
https://youtu.be/WnpcTsy10dE
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

))))((((

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on March 03, 2018, 07:18:34 AM
For the most part Hold It In really was a pretty darn kickass record, although the mixing (which, as somebody here pointed out sometime, suffers from a buried high-end) and the EGC guitar undermined some of the songs' potential.
It may not be entirely true, but Buzz says the studio stuff is recorded with a range of different guitars and not just his EGC.

Captain CoryCory

I never cared much for A Growing Disgust in regards to studio recordings. It's obviously recorded with the EGC and just feels really flat not to mention it's a song that "feels" like it's been done a million times. Live it's fine when it's blasting your face off but that tune is one I never could really get into.

There's also some tracks on that Love soundtrack I'd call "bullshit experimental" that just doesn't go anywhere.

aeustin

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on March 06, 2018, 06:09:51 PM
I never cared much for A Growing Disgust in regards to studio recordings. It's obviously recorded with the EGC and just feels really flat not to mention it's a song that "feels" like it's been done a million times. Live it's fine when it's blasting your face off but that tune is one I never could really get into.

There's also some tracks on that Love soundtrack I'd call "bullshit experimental" that just doesn't go anywhere.
I would go as far as saying that the production on Freak Puke, as well as a lot of their more recent albums (with the exception of AWWLAD, which was a step in the right direction) isn't very good. The drums sound distant and muffled and the guitar is flat. Kind of like the mids of the whole album have been cut. Still love the songs and they are amazing live but still...

Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

))))((((

Quote from: GrimReaper on March 07, 2018, 12:48:07 AM
One of my favorite tunes.
Same here. Im surprised people DON'T like it!! Also one of the very best Melvins song titles too i think.

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on March 06, 2018, 06:09:51 PM
That's definitely true.

John Schuller

I think the EGC guitars sound (and play) like shit. I miss the Les Paul days. But it is not my circus and it they are not my monkeys. The King gets to do what he wants. I am sure they use a bunch of different guitars on recordings, being in their studio once I saw a TON of guitar cases and a TON of guitars on racks ready to go.

(the) Razor

Either a lot of people tell Buzz that or he read the forums one night, because he did say people have no idea and that the new EGC sound chunkier and deeper than Les Pauls.

I'm not really sure I can hear a difference but modern Melvins definitely have a lot less "venom" and "bite" than previous which is more to do with recording I think. Three men and a baby had that beautiful crunch and the whole record sounded like it crawled up from out of a gutter but yeah, these days they do seem to enjoy a lot more of a classic rock feel to the riffs. They're a lot less aggressive which may or may not be cause and effect of using the new ECG guitars....

Just don't go full dad rock on us Buzz..... :lol:
Don't click this

))))((((

Quote from: (the) Razor on March 07, 2018, 08:17:35 PM
that beautiful crunch and the whole record sounded like it crawled up from out of a gutter
I pine for that to return to their sound. It is lacking some of that bite and aggression like you say.

As regards Melvins music, i think it is pretty clear that Buzz is still a fine songwriter. I mean look at his solo acoustic record - that had one great song after another simply because he couldn't mess with different instruments or add weird bits. It HAD to be just the songs and the result was fantastic. I wish the band could put out something more akin to that. Well written, tight songs that have a more crunchy old skool Melvins feel to them.

amazonAMAZON

I'd say the thickest, heaviest, Melvins-iest studio guitar tone of the millenium is on The Bloated Pope. A few moments on A Walk With Death were reminiscent of that.

Since this thread is about the worst Melvins song of all time, I am surprised that your caveats don't include garbage from Singles 1-12, such as the A&R mixes, All at Once, or How+Harry Lauders. If anyone here legitimately would rather hear any of those tracks three times in a row instead of hearing "A Growing Disgust" or "Christ Hammer" five times, (name your tune), I think you will burn in eternal hell sweet Amish baby Jesus and we can't be friends.

Oscar

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on March 26, 2018, 02:35:30 PM
I'd say the thickest, heaviest, Melvins-iest studio guitar tone of the millenium is on The Bloated Pope.

Oscar

Update: Embrace the fucking Rub

))))((((

Quote from: Oscar on April 23, 2018, 02:58:05 PM
Update: Embrace the fucking Rub
Yep.

Something i've noticed very recently is that many of the songs i dislike by the band or the one i most disapprove of on each album tend to be track 2! Look...

Best Friend
You Can Make Me Wait
Choco Plumbing
Embrace The Rub

It's as though they like to open up with a punchy number and then do the exact opposite and go bad on the following track.

Bigval

Quote from: ))))(((( on April 23, 2018, 03:18:39 PM
Choco Plumbing

Surely you jest? I've put that song on that Melvins era post 2012 compilation CD I've made up for my brother.

(the) Razor

What's the worst Melvins song pre 2010?

Is this a paradox.... :lol:
Don't click this