Author Topic: "Waiting for Beck ..."  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Idlehanz

• Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Colossus Of Destiny: A Melvins Tale
Re: "Waiting for Beck ..."
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 08:58:28 PM »
I think you're deaf if you write off Mellow Gold.

I like that one the best.  I still give it a spin now and then.

Dead Cowboy

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 11:28:49 PM »
Well, he did sample feedback from Hog Leg in one of his songs. I see this about as likely to happen as that album with Mike Kunka.

Agh, Id love to hear that.

MIKE....

And the Melvins

Offline mopafeena

• watches fox red eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 01:07:05 AM »

I like that one the best.  I still give it a spin now and then.

Agreed. Mellow Gold is probally my favourite too.

Schnabster

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 01:35:18 AM »
It`s not my intention to act like an asshole about an artist obviously many here like, I know perfectly how annoying it is when others slam down on some of my favourites. I don`t understand you guys, but I respect you! Hepp! Hepp!

Offline Michael

• INDEEEEEED
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 03:13:42 AM »
For what it's worth, I thought Beck was batting a thousand up until 02002 before his girlfriend split and he became a full-fledged Scientologist.  Before then he could do no wrong.  The man who would have collaborated with the Melvins is dead now. 

Offline FartLips

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Lollars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 05:30:35 AM »
For what it's worth, I thought Beck was batting a thousand up until 02002 before his girlfriend split and he became a full-fledged Scientologist.  Before then he could do no wrong.  The man who would have collaborated with the Melvins is dead now. 
yeah that's wierd. i do know one of the guys in his band, but i'm afraid to ask him what's up with that.
mount ambulance  "... tho it's hard to compete when my eyes keep getting distracted by Grim's juicy ass!"

Offline deatheats

• watches fox red eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »
Yeah to me the last decent beck album was midnite vultures, then the girlfriend blues hit!  I really don't understand why scientology appeals to so many in Hollywood. 

Though if I were to theorize it would go something like this:  The unsatiably hedonistic appetite of Hollywood (with a capital H) is much like a tidal wave the artist/actor rides.   A drug fueled sex romp several years long leads to the inevitable crash upon the shores of reality whereupon the victim is dragged along the razor sharp gutter of their own self importance.   Realizing the situation they have created for themselves they come to the realization that they really don't have the lives they wanted.  At this point they rebel against their previous selves behaviors;  including promiscuous sex and hard core drug binges; turning to the Scientology Savior who explains how they can have the life they always wanted (with just a small entrance fee).

Of course some people realize they are on a wave and start paddling hard and fast to keep ahead of the gargantuon flood heading their way.  They don't have to rebel against themselves because they like who they are and don't need a cult to affirm their existances for them.

Offline FartLips

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Lollars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 09:28:37 AM »
Yeah to me the last decent beck album was midnite vultures, then the girlfriend blues hit!  I really don't understand why scientology appeals to so many in Hollywood. 

Though if I were to theorize it would go something like this:  The unsatiably hedonistic appetite of Hollywood (with a capital H) is much like a tidal wave the artist/actor rides.   A drug fueled sex romp several years long leads to the inevitable crash upon the shores of reality whereupon the victim is dragged along the razor sharp gutter of their own self importance.   Realizing the situation they have created for themselves they come to the realization that they really don't have the lives they wanted.  At this point they rebel against their previous selves behaviors;  including promiscuous sex and hard core drug binges; turning to the Scientology Savior who explains how they can have the life they always wanted (with just a small entrance fee).

Of course some people realize they are on a wave and start paddling hard and fast to keep ahead of the gargantuon flood heading their way.  They don't have to rebel against themselves because they like who they are and don't need a cult to affirm their existances for them.
or... they're just dumbasses who are really good at one thing and are prone to being ripped off.
mount ambulance  "... tho it's hard to compete when my eyes keep getting distracted by Grim's juicy ass!"

Offline (PAUL)

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • YEAH
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 09:54:28 AM »
After seeing some of those Hollywood films I feel ripped off.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Mad Arab

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 07:31:26 PM »

I didn't write the album off. I happen to like it. A lot of people just know about Beck through the song Loser and nothing else.

Offline al27

• gardening gloves
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
    • Tree Sprocket
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 08:42:02 PM »
I kinda like Beck, he's one of the more interesting mainstream faces these days.

But thats like being the tallest of the Seven Dwarves.

Still, I dig his tunes.

Odelay is great.

I liked Guero, poppy or not, it was a very solid album.

And I really liked the whole, "make your own album art" idea with The Information.

Did anyone do that?  We could all post our custom album covers. :D

-al27

Offline FartLips

• MITROWSKI!!!
  • Lollars
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 05:52:35 PM »
But thats like being the tallest of the Seven Dwarves.
that's an interesting perspective. me likey!

Offline al27

• gardening gloves
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
    • Tree Sprocket
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »
 :D

<bows>