Melvins Videos Thread (and much more)

Started by norecess, July 26, 2007, 12:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonergrunge and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

John Schuller

Quote from: black stallion on November 14, 2017, 02:15:21 PM
Quote from: deatheats on November 14, 2017, 12:56:09 PM
Quote from: GiveMe45 on November 05, 2017, 08:06:08 PM
Like that interview with Joe B!  Never heard the official story of the dog noises at the beginning of Sweet Willy Rollbar.

Yeah, that was an awesome interview!  I love how he described making physical devices rather than using traditional audio effects (that everyone else was using).

Stag and Stoner Witch have the best production ever

Agreed. The music was recorded to tape and they had BUDGET to work with. Creative peak in my opinion.

deatheats

Quote from: sadcorps on November 14, 2017, 03:16:52 PM
..The music was recorded to tape and they had BUDGET to work with...

So true on the that front! 
Just to give a little perspective Sgt. Pepper's took about 5 months and cost almost $300,000 in today's dollars to make.
They spent 55 hours in the studio recording Strawberry Fields Forever...  :shock:

If you gave the Melvins three hundred grand to make an album just imagine the results!!
Not that they would be dumb enough to waste money like that ;)

black stallion

Like that interview with Joe B!  Never heard the official story of the dog noises at the beginning of Sweet Willy Rollbar.

Yeah, that was an awesome interview!  I love how he described making physical devices rather than using traditional audio effects (that everyone else was using).

Creative peak in my opinion.

sure, Mark D had a lot to do with that
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

John Schuller

Quote from: black stallion on November 14, 2017, 06:31:59 PM

Creative peak in my opinion.

sure, Mark D had a lot to do with that

Exactly. Mark knows music.

jules

Quote from: deatheats on November 14, 2017, 05:49:24 PM
If you gave the Melvins three hundred grand to make an album just imagine the results!!
Hopefully they'd make a triple album of silence with a plain black sleeve, and spend that year playing golf in Barbados.

))))((((

They spent 55 hours in the studio recording Strawberry Fields Forever...
Yeah but that was because they were doing stuff that hadn't been done before and the limitations of the equipment made things take ages. They could do that stuff in a matter of minutes now. The Beatles only took that long because that was how long it took. No other reason. Time spent in the studio doesn't necessarily equate to quality.

I think we all know what the results would be - it would sound exactly the same as the stuff they make now regardless of how much was made available. I bet they would still record digitally with Toshi.

johnnyg

I agree with all of that, but also, in the mid 60s through 70s, record labels were just hemorrhaging money, so they would just send their biggest acts into the  studio for months at a time- often the bands didn't have any song written before going into the studio. Now, bands almost always have the songs fully written before paying to enter a studio because there is no time to waste. And also, in the 60s and 70s, there probably was LOTS of screwing around in the studio. If you read Keith Richards autobiography and books like it, it seems like bands would use the studio almost more as a hangout spot than a studio.
I think we all know what the results would be - it would sound exactly the same as the stuff they make now regardless of how much was made available. I bet they would still record digitally with Toshi.

Quote from: ))))(((( on November 15, 2017, 11:47:14 AM
They spent 55 hours in the studio recording Strawberry Fields Forever...
Yeah but that was because they were doing stuff that hadn't been done before and the limitations of the equipment made things take ages. They could do that stuff in a matter of minutes now. The Beatles only took that long because that was how long it took. No other reason. Time spent in the studio doesn't necessarily equate to quality.

lust

I'm too lazy to search around and see if someone has already posted it in here, but the Buzz interview with Neil Hamburger is gold.
I'm just some punk teenager.

last.fm/user/qingyuuu

surfling

Quote from: johnnyg on November 15, 2017, 12:50:06 PM

i'm not sure about that.
sound wise the three atlantic albums do stand out to my ears -
i don't think any melvins album ever sounded better since.
there is a reason why some studios are more expensive than others...
"Pop music is for sheep. And we are shepherds disguised as wolves."
(Laibach)

black stallion

vince furnier

Quote from: lust on November 16, 2017, 03:22:19 PM
I'm too lazy to search around and see if someone has already posted it in here, but the Buzz interview with Neil Hamburger is gold.
https://youtu.be/-wJOK-Ed_4Y
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

(the) Razor

Loosely speaking of Neil, anyone here a fan of the band Dekkar?  :lol:
Don't click this

black stallion

some guy

Quote from: vince furnier on November 17, 2017, 11:18:33 PM
Quote from: lust on November 16, 2017, 03:22:19 PM
https://youtu.be/-wJOK-Ed_4Y

i think about this all the fucking time

also the redlettermedia dudes (y'know those "plinkett" star wars reviews? those guys. they're pretty funny.) have this really old video up that starts with a bit of a song off of honky:

https://youtu.be/S4s9QkR12tQ
That's neither here Nora there

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian