Melvins Videos Thread (and much more)

Started by norecess, July 26, 2007, 12:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on October 09, 2019, 01:49:54 PM
I noticed in a few recent interviews that Buzz seems a bit cold on having new stuff to promote. like  they wouldn't need to release new albums anymore at this point of their career.. is it just me?
Yes i wonder if he really feels that way and it was by design or whether it is outside factors that have created this scenario. For instance, i do think it is a bit weird that no record has come out in 2019 on Ipecac. Obviously not totally without precedent since there have been other years without Melvins albums too. But he makes such a point of working all the time and writing music that it does seem odd now they have their own studio. One would imagine they have a ton of material already recorded and set aside. Could it possibly be that Ipecac have put the brakes on releases for a bit or that Melvins releases are not generating enough revenue back!??!?

amazonAMAZON

Maybe they do have some stuff to drop the end of this year, but like good business folks, they've aligned the right media outlets to break news and debut tracks. So when every interviewers has to ask for new material news, it gets old.

I don't think there's any problem between Ipecac and Melvins.

Melvins current tour is coheadline with Redd Kross and Redd Kross have a recent album plus they have a collab EP.

Only thing suspicious is the drop of Shitkid, but young international artists often have trouble going overseas.

linoleum blownapart

I think they could get by and just tour on the nostalgia thing if they wanted to.  They could do album tours.  Or even deep cut tours and just keep getting deeper and people will still come out.  They could do just the hits a few times and it be viable.  I liked when they played one song each album.  With as many albums and EPs, they could do that and it be a long concert.  Just think year one all the first songs, year two all the second songs, and so on.  That could get them an easy 10 years alone.
thrower of the bong water balloons

Mount Ambulance

sounds like The (fucking) Eagles to me
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

linoleum blownapart

You don't like the eagles, get out of my cab...or something like that.

jonE5

Quote from: ))))(((( on October 09, 2019, 02:57:24 PM
Quote from: black stallion on October 09, 2019, 01:49:54 PM
I noticed in a few recent interviews that Buzz seems a bit cold on having new stuff to promote. like  they wouldn't need to release new albums anymore at this point of their career.. is it just me?
Yes i wonder if he really feels that way and it was by design or whether it is outside factors that have created this scenario. For instance, i do think it is a bit weird that no record has come out in 2019 on Ipecac. Obviously not totally without precedent since there have been other years without Melvins albums too. But he makes such a point of working all the time and writing music that it does seem odd now they have their own studio. One would imagine they have a ton of material already recorded and set aside. Could it possibly be that Ipecac have put the brakes on releases for a bit or that Melvins releases are not generating enough revenue back!??!?

They've been hinting for a while that releasing full albums is less of a priority for them now (and are still consistently releasing songs)

Pretty sure they said when releasing TBSM that it would probably be their last legitimate full album released in a conventional way..

That of course didn't happen, but it is obviously in the back of their minds that it's a dying thing.

Rusty Shackleford

To me it's a result of the state the recording industry has been in for many years now, and it ain't changing.  I think it's easy for people to underestimate how little money is brought in by selling music these days.  Certainly not enough to survive a month in a place like LA.  My guess is that the rent is paid by doing shows, a bit of merch, and also for the Melvins additional limited items.

))))((((

Quote from: jonE5 on October 11, 2019, 07:03:14 AM
Pretty sure they said when releasing TBSM that it would probably be their last legitimate full album released in a conventional way..
Yes, that's right i remember that one too. It surprised me when 'Sugar Daddy Live' came out the following year and obviously the subsequent albums after. I just thought they had gone back on that decision.

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on October 10, 2019, 12:02:05 PM
sounds like The (fucking) Eagles to me

Quote from: linoleum blownapart on October 11, 2019, 06:43:21 AM
You don't like the eagles, get out of my cab...or something like that.

Nostalgia act huh? Ok Buzz gets to be Joe Walsh. So what, Dale gets to be Don Henley? Talk about a short straw!
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

linoleum blownapart

I was really just loosely quoting the Big Lebowski with the Eagles comment as a joke.

And dang, Dale does get the short straw in this senario.

As for the Melvins, I've heard that comment that they would not ever have to release new material ever again over the years, which is true.  They could go for the nostalgia act if they wanted to and live as they do for the rest of their lives.  I do not think they "could" do that though.  They are way to work driven and creative.  Or there would be lots of hard drives full of something that never gets heard, if there is not already. 

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Idlehanz

Thanks for finding and posting that.  I saw them there back in 2009 and I've never forgotten that venue.  I really dug it.

black stallion

you're welcome, yeah it seems a great venue with a pretty good sound! on a related note, seems that Kurt Schlegel is back as Melvins soundguy
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

AxelFoley

Thanks for that video of the Bullhead show, idlehanz. Those full album concerts were really special.

I wish they'd do another only-album tour here in Europe and I could catch them playing Lysol and Stoner Witch in their full glory :o .