Melvins Videos Thread (and much more)

Started by norecess, July 26, 2007, 12:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster D

I gotta say Dale selects aquarian Heads is now what I'd expect... the coated ebony style ones, I can see why he needs those for the type of music he's playing, but on 1940's era Gretsch Toms I'd have to really think about that....Those original 1940's Drum heads would have been real Calfskin and much softer with more thump, very soft attack and so on. I don't know what guys would mostly use in the 1960's for skins, whether or not Weatherking was around at that Point maybe...probably.

I can't think of any other Skins that might work as well as the coated Aquarian Ebony heads, Pinstripe is too Heavy and Ambassador is way too much attack for those.

I'm not sure what I'd use for the Gretsch kit, but Dale has often had Black Dots on his Ludwig Kit for ages. I've always wanted Silver dots but they must be special order or Music stores in general don't cater to vintage Drum Tone enthusiasts.

Honestly the Heads Dale is using I have found are tricky sometimes, they don't sound great unless they're perfectly tuned, and as they play ok and sound alright... they don't have the Look I'd want in a classic Drum kit, white Coated heads would look cooler, but probably be worse sounding than those Aquarian heads.

Dale using aquarian heads is cool, Most drummers go for Remo or evans.

Evans or Remo...I see that they make vintage looking Calf skin heads, I've never tried a kit with those, but I saw a live band once Use one of those Remo calfskin looking ones for the resonator in the kick drum, It sounded dead as crap but that's A: a modern Cheap Drumkit it's on, and B: The drummer didn't seem to know how to tune a kit worth a fuck...It kept on moving and sliding out place until someone Stuck a Cinder block in front of it...I freaking HATE that!!!

I've seen a drummer with a thousand bucks worth of Ludwid 26" bass drum 1970's doing that with his kit...you know? Doesn't have a clue how to play or set up the kit, someone like that I could not deal with in a band..Just get them out of my way, please.

I went up to the band members at sound check and said "Uhh, you might want to raise the front of the kick off the ground by a couple fingers maybe" 

The bass player knew what I was talking about, Then I went home and got the Drummer a good pair of sticks and a drum stool because they forgot that shit at home like what the fuck guys? Bunch of Amateurs.

Anyway whatever, fuck up your vintage hardware...I guess.

The last drummer I played with has a shitty pearl Export someone Took all the wrap off and stained but with no finish, nice look if your band has a guy with a satin finish SG in lead..but anyway The snare sounded like ass and desperately needed a Remo Pinstripe, this is a snare head secret weapon IMO. (which I generously donated from one of my toms, along with sticks and put the 18" inch crashes together for his Hi-hat cymbals and let him use all my K cymbals instead and made a couple different stacks and a china as a main crash Just to make the kit sound faster and more metal.) His cymbals were cheap or broke, no wing nuts on the stands etc...typical...and he has it set like a north kit with a tom stand and of course double kicks too so the hi hat is five miles away or it's scraping against the Tom rim. he did that with my 70's Sabian hats..I was almost really going to snap, had to sand the edges out a bit...fucking idiot.

That guy said he'd pay me for the Pinstripe Snare head, but never did.... and... he never paid me for that Morbid Angel CD I bought him five years ago either. his type in my experience makes up for about 98.9% of the general personality of people you might wind up playing in a band with.

GrimReaper

GrimReaper

Idlehanz

I wasn't going to publish any more, but then I finished a clip with my absolute favorite Melvins song and my absolute favorite Melvins cover done back to back. Last video before I finish the entire show.

https://youtu.be/n84ds8UwKCk

AxelFoley

Another video of a '96 show, again uploaded by Mr. Deutrom himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ_SnPHcNbw

Dumpster D

I wanna sing a cover Of Oven but like in Andy Kaufman alter ego style voice..what's that guys name again with the sun glasses with the turkey neck?  After a few Drinks my friend can do a perfect impression of him..it's fuckin' Hysterical.

jules

:lol:

Well, that bloke certainly got his facts right.