Lysol is (was) Julian Cope's album of the month for September

Started by rimb, October 08, 2007, 03:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimb

OfficerButtcrack

Ah, is this the same guy who did that spoken word piece on Sunn album?

rimb

Quote from: OfficerButtcrack on October 08, 2007, 06:18:49 AM
Ah, is this the same guy who did that spoken word piece on Sunn album?

That's the one.  Interesting guy.

(the) Razor

Quite a funny read, especially that "Cricket" description. I've never heard someone describe an album using Cricket as an analogy.
Don't click this

OfficerButtcrack

Of course we have to disagree about not listening other Melvins albums. Sure, Lysol is among their best, but it's really not that much above the rest.

(the) Razor

It's one of my favourite recordings, "technically". I miss the sound of the drums these days with the Melvins.
Don't click this

FartLips

Quote from: SpaceFarm on October 08, 2007, 05:27:22 PM
It's one of my favourite recordings, "technically". I miss the sound of the drums these days with the Melvins.
yeah, those were really well recorded.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

norecess

Quote from: FART LIPS on October 08, 2007, 11:34:46 PM
Quote from: SpaceFarm on October 08, 2007, 05:27:22 PM
yeah, those were really well recorded.

Jesus, I mean Fart, I listened to it again yesterday, because of this thread mainly, and haven't gotten as high as yesterday in a while. And it was not the stuff I was smoking, but the stuff I was listening to while smoking. That bass drum is so damn heavy. Love the sound of the drums indeed, as well as the vocals.

violent office

Supposedly, the snare drum on Lysol is actually a sample of the snare on "When the Levee Breaks". 

rimb

Quote from: violent office on October 09, 2007, 10:46:48 AM
Supposedly, the snare drum on Lysol is actually a sample of the snare on "When the Levee Breaks". 

I keep hearing this mentioned, but has anyone got a source for this?

ManWithNoName

QuoteLysol (Boner, 1992) **** 1/2
Dale: I always had a problem getting my snare drum to sound good. I used this huge marching drum and just sounded like I was hitting a bucket. I asked if we had a copy of Houses Of The Holy by Led Zeppelin. We figured out how to sample and trigger it. So basically my drum sound is John Bonham

rimb

Quote from: ManWithNoName on October 09, 2007, 10:55:36 AM
QuoteLysol (Boner, 1992) **** 1/2
Dale: I always had a problem getting my snare drum to sound good. I used this huge marching drum and just sounded like I was hitting a bucket. I asked if we had a copy of Houses Of The Holy by Led Zeppelin. We figured out how to sample and trigger it. So basically my drum sound is John Bonham

norecess

http://www.themelvins.net/wiki/index.php?title=Sludge%2C_Jury_And_Executioner

QuoteLysol (Boner, 1992) **** 1/2 Dale: I always had a problem getting my snare drum to sound good. I used this huge marching drum and just sounded like I was hitting a bucket. I asked if we had a copy of Houses Of The Holy by Led Zeppelin. We figured out how to sample and trigger it. So basically my drum sound is John Bonham

Greasy Statement

that review was purely verbose literary masturbation...

violent office

Quote from: Greasy Statement on October 09, 2007, 04:31:16 PM
that review was purely verbose literary masturbation...

Totally.  I'm getting pretty sick of unnessesary intellectualization of music.  Flush Julian Cope down the shitter along with the last 100 issues of the Wire.