Author Topic: "Neither Here Nor There" images...  (Read 4436 times)

Offline steve

• gardening gloves
    • View Profile
"Neither Here Nor There" images...
« on: March 10, 2004, 07:05:09 AM »
Have a look here >> http://www.gigposters.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=15305 for a whole bunch of photos of the book (plus a few nice concert photos, including a particularly cool Dale one)
...Steve

sousauce

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 10:27:41 AM »
did you see the signatures photo of the band inside the book?  what's with the nazi insignia thought bubble?  there's also nazi symbols on buzzo's artwork picture from the main page???  maybe that's why their lyrics are so unintelligible, buzzo's really filtering white supremacist propaganda through their sonic assault.  or maybe it's just to push pc buttons and get factualist liquefactional divisionistics like my whining self to ponder and utter idiotic....???? :twisted:  :wink:  :oops:  :shock:

Offline TosT

• sun ra was right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 10:45:56 AM »
I would assume the latter... I mean, everyone knows that Buzz only hates Negros...

Offline dr.ghira

• Fears SNIVLEM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 11:35:22 AM »
Yeah, you're right TosT. Look how many bass-player they've spent. And they all have been white. So: Buzz = Fascho
Right?

Offline GrimReaper

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 01:18:37 PM »
I respect all of your thoughts.

I do not tolerate any behavior that shows partiality or prejudice. With that said, the new book contains some things that are not "acceptable" to my cognizant view of the world. But the book is just a collection of art, human creativity made to create human emotion. My sons are not old enough to see this art, so as a responsible adult, I will keep Neither Here Nor There  out of their hands. I don't think we can conclude from this book that the Melvins are racists.

cheeseburger

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 02:12:27 PM »
it's like saying that slayer are satanists because the use the pentagram.

klump

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 03:28:04 PM »
I think its just Buzzos way of trying to get a reaction from the fans...I mean this is stuff that has been done for years just for shock value, but when the melvins do this they often have something intelligent underneath( like the trilogy artwork)...cant wait to see the book...

so dont get pissed off on the melvins for this, I think this is just their way of trying to get us boneheaded fans to wake up from our slumbering and make our brains send signals and our blood keep on pumping...

They just want us to think!
 :)

Offline anaconda

• snake in the grass
  • Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • Brad Black Design Group
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 06:00:08 PM »
Quote from: dr.ghira
Look how many bass-player they've spent. And they all have been white. Right?

Not true! This guy played bass for them between Mark and Kevin.
Look, he even wore the dress too.  :wink:  

ALSO, the swastika is an ancient indian symbol of love and unity
that Hitler stole and forever changed by his use of it. He did have
a good eye for graphic design though. The swastika is beautiful.
I think Buzz can appreciate it's history so he uses it.

turnacuss

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 06:18:50 PM »
That doesnt make them racist. Grow a sense of humor man.

I would be more worried about the kids seeing the picture of the two girls getting fisted. My friend saw that picture and was like "I've seen this before". Funny.

The Piss-Machine

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 11:17:09 AM »
A work of art necessarilly separates itself from the individual who created it the moment that work of art is made public (even to some extent when it is not). As such, any meaning that an artist may have tried to convey is immeadietly lost, regardless of the explicity with which they tried to convey it. Buzz could make a statement like "I hate Jews" and regardless of whether he meant it or not is ultimately beside the point because we can never know these things.
What is interesting is that even those cases where meaning is made "explicit" (interviews, etc.) there's always the chance we're being fucked with, particularly in the case of a group like the Melvins. The use of swastikas could imply any number of things and that is ultimately irrelevant to what our understanding of the piece is.
Basically, don't look too hard at what you think someone is trying to say in expressing themselves, rather, attach your own interpretation, according to your subjective perceptual impression an understand THAT as being the meaing of a piece.

alnis

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 12:40:47 PM »
Quote from: The Piss-Machine
A work of art necessarilly separates itself from the individual who created it the moment that work of art is made public (even to some extent when it is not). As such, any meaning that an artist may have tried to convey is immeadietly lost, regardless of the explicity with which they tried to convey it. Buzz could make a statement like "I hate Jews" and regardless of whether he meant it or not is ultimately beside the point because we can never know these things.
What is interesting is that even those cases where meaning is made "explicit" (interviews, etc.) there's always the chance we're being fucked with, particularly in the case of a group like the Melvins. The use of swastikas could imply any number of things and that is ultimately irrelevant to what our understanding of the piece is.
Basically, don't look too hard at what you think someone is trying to say in expressing themselves, rather, attach your own interpretation, according to your subjective perceptual impression an understand THAT as being the meaing of a piece.

Sounds like you've been reading too much Ricoeur/Derrida! :)

Hog log

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 01:41:42 PM »
Quote from: alnis

Yeah ? And what's wrong with this ?

cellphone

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 01:43:02 PM »
I like swastikas.  There's nothing wrong with that.

alnis

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 02:13:44 PM »
Quote from: Hog log

Because the author (and his/her intention) DOES figure in text (I mean to use "text" in the broadest sense). I can appreciate the movement to free up structures for more open ended intererpretation. De-centering is important. And maybe everything IS interpretation. But too much of a good thing isn't a good thing anymore.

No?

Hog log

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 02:27:07 PM »
Quote from: Hog log

Because the author (and his/her intention) DOES figure in text (I mean to use "text" in the broadest sense). I can appreciate the movement to free up structures for more open ended intererpretation. De-centering is important. And maybe everything IS interpretation. But too much of a good thing isn't a good thing anymore.

No?

Sure. Too much interpretation kills the interpretation. But the difference which is made between "hidden" meaning  and "explicit" meaning is interesting.
We must not forget that each kind of interpretation is necessarily closed in some ways ...