Thank You/ Saved Message AMPREP Single

Started by GrimReaper, March 10, 2004, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alnis

ARG! you people make me crazy sometimes! Or maybe only when I haven't gotten enough sleep.

"Nothing new on it" = "experiment"...that's bad enough.

BUT RIPPED OFF? How did they rip you off? Was it deliberately misleading? Did they sign a contract to rearrange "Set Me Straight" in 1000 different ways so that you could just have what amounts to a million copies of the same old shit? HUH? HUH? Maybe you should start buying every album on Fat Wreck Chords. THEY don't rip you off. You'll know EXACTLY what you're going to get!

Fuck that shit!

RAAAARRR!

[i'm a tyranasaurus rex]

yeknod ykoops

GrimReaper

Alnis, what set you off?

I bought the single for $10 bucks, and thought others would like to know the price at the concert. I never mentioned anything about feeling ripped off.

I went home and played both sides, once through, and came to the conclusion that this single is a collector's item, made in limited quanity, to be sold as momentos from the show, more so than it's musical content.

It's a collector's item because no one is going to listen to these "new" songs and come to the conclusion that these new "songs" are killer Melvins material. I originally wrote "noise" but changed it to "experimental" trying to avoid a controversy.

Last year a single was sold at the Grumpy's show. Is some one going to listen to "Shit Sandwich", a 7" collector's item sold at last years show over and over? No.

deadstone75

i was just hoping that it actually would have a couple new tunes...i'm still going to buy a few.

people would be more justified in saying that last year's single was a "rip-off". i wouldn't say that, but some might. to be honest, i laughed my ass off. that's really all you can do. that's all you can ever do.

i wonder if people will feel better when they see it selling on ebay for $80-$100 a year or so from now. will they feel any better about getting ripped off? hmmm...

GrimReaper

Thanks for the back,

There is going to be different art work on the sleeve at Minniapolis, adding to the collectability. E-bay is a wonderful thing.

alnis

I'm sorry grim. I'd gotten very little sleep, due to staying up all night writing an essay, and I was feeling pretty frazzled. (I wasn't refering to you when I was talking about being ripped off...that was another person who posted after you)

Aside from the angry tone of the message, which I regret (sort of....it really does frusterate me, but I shouldn't post that), I stand by what I said.

I haven't heard the 7" yet, so I can't say what I think of it. But I think it's a little early to say this:

Quote from: GrimIt's a collector's item because no one is going to listen to these "new" songs and come to the conclusion that these new "songs" are killer Melvins material

flyinghouses

part of me doesnt care about the single, and part of me wonders why the melvins bother releasing the singles with no real music on it.i like the h.a.t. singles, those have descent covers on them and are cool to collect beacause i dig the music on it. i dont see a point in releasing queer noise though other than for the band to get a small ammount of money for it

has anyone seen the price of the 1-12 singles that amrep is selling on their site, there going for 100 dollars a piece, thats fucking ridiculous. i still have to buy the 1-12 singles on compact disk
.  :D
(.)(.)

/(())\

The Piss-Machine

Quote from: flyinghousesi dont see a point in releasing queer noise though other than for the band to get a small ammount of money for it

Don't misread my tone here, I'm not being a bitch, but some of us like 'queer noise'. I, in fact really like noise. The cool thing about noise is that no matter how many times you listen to a piece, it never sounds the same twice. Example; the beginning of magic pig detective. I used to hate the noise and love the song at the end. Now, I still love the song, but I don't fast-forward through the noise anymore. Same with the middle of let it all be.
I have no arguments to convince people to like that kind of thing; I understand that a taste for noise is VERY aquired, but I think the fact that the Melvins have the balls to do something like that is admirable. It's dangerous for a band to take a risk like that when you're counting on fans to buy and thus put food on the table, and it's this willingness to do fucked up shit that people are probably not going to like that has put me into a position of life-long-melvin-fan-boy-style devotion.

Green Honey

Amen to that.
If anyone wants to trade/post these songs I'm sure it'll be VERY much appreciated by a lot of us non-American Melvins lovers...

flyinghouses

i wasnt talking about magic pig detective or let it all be, i was talking about the new limited vinyl and others such as shit sandwich that are only noise. i dont have a problem with let it all be or magic pig detective. if you want Queer Noise just fuck around on your computer with some neat programs or just a simple tape recorder, you will probably apreciate the queer noise alot more because you made it yourself, if thats what your into
(.)(.)

/(())\

sousauce

the crybaby trilogy was written for you :cry:

flyinghouses

(.)(.)

/(())\

The Fool

yes, whether some people think it was crap or not, i'd still really love to get mp3's of these two 'songs', as personally i like the noisy 'shit' (that is NOT so easy to make on your pc with some neat programs if you want to get real about it... trust me, they have it down to a pretty damn fine 'art' imho!!!) as much as the more straight forward stuff  :wink:

anyway, back to my question... can anyone hook me up with mp3's?!?
i'm another non-US fan that would really appreciate it  8)

i'm also curious to see if one of these songs were played before hung bunny/roman bird dog at the 11dec melb show i saw and at a few others i've been abe to get copies of from the recent aust. geek shows  :D
take care,
The Fool

flyinghouses

there are plenty of  sources to get weird noises from, the melvins arent the only ones doing it, theres tons of shit you can find on the web
(.)(.)

/(())\

sousauce

check out lightning bolt's wonderful rainbow....