Author Topic: Nude With Boots  (Read 122866 times)

Offline black stallion

• MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nude With Boots
« Reply #375 on: April 12, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »
I just don't see why someone wants a shit quality recording which is what 100% of leaks are.
Most leaks are CD rips, and sound exactly the same as the finished product unless they are leaked before the mastering or recording process is finished.

It's not like somebody got a directional microphone and pointed it into the studio while they were playing the songs.  :lol:

I really don't want to get into it,  maybe that was the case years ago, but I doubt there will be any difference in distinguishable audio quality between the CD you'd buy at a store and the MP3s floating around the internet at this point in time.

And if there is, it's because the person who ripped it used a crappy encoder and a low bitrate.  If they had ripped it to a lossless FLAC file or a higher-quality (V0) MP3 using LAME, there'd be no distinguishing the sound at all.

I have a hunch that the advance copies that this leak originates from might not be mastered.  Has anyone else noticed how quiet it is compared to other records?  In any case I'll be buying it the day it comes out, from my local record shop and immediately making a fresh rip straight from the CD.

don't know, i think it's the definitive version,with the master done...doesn't seem to me that it's so quiet compared to the other records
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Offline Doody the Clown

• gardening gloves
  • Iowa Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 12, 2008, 12:37:14 PM »
I have a hunch that the advance copies that this leak originates from might not be mastered.  Has anyone else noticed how quiet it is compared to other records?  In any case I'll be buying it the day it comes out, from my local record shop and immediately making a fresh rip straight from the CD.
That's not a result of no mastering, that's a result of good mastering.  The CD is mastered, otherwise it would be even quieter.  The mistake (an honest one, usually) most people make when mastering albums is submitting to the idea that "louder is better", even though this usually results in a good amount of dynamic compression, meaning there is less difference between the loud and quiet sounds in the album, resulting in a distorted and muddy feeling that can either be an unwanted or a desired effect.  Nude With Boots seems to be mastered to the point where none of the sounds reach the point of being distorted and muddy, but it's still dynamically compressed in the way that most digitally recorded records are nowadays to make them seem "louder" and less "dull" to some people.

While I prefer very little dynamic compression (Bullhead is a good example of very good mastering... listen to the drums on Boris and you will hear a distinguished punch that is missing from more recent albums simply because dynamic compression is so widespread and common nowadays), Nude With Boots and none of the recent Melvins albums have been plagued with anything terribly bad in terms of bad effects from the "loudness wars."

Offline Like Stee

• shit talking thieves
  • Moanin' Ludlow
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 12, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »
That's not a result of no mastering, that's a result of good mastering.  The CD is mastered, otherwise it would be even quieter.  The mistake (an honest one, usually) most people make when mastering albums is submitting to the idea that "louder is better", even though this usually results in a good amount of dynamic compression, meaning there is less difference between the loud and quiet sounds in the album, resulting in a distorted and muddy feeling that can either be an unwanted or a desired effect.  Nude With Boots seems to be mastered to the point where none of the sounds reach the point of being distorted and muddy, but it's still dynamically compressed in the way that most digitally recorded records are nowadays to make them seem "louder" and less "dull" to some people.

While I prefer very little dynamic compression (Bullhead is a good example of very good mastering... listen to the drums on Boris and you will hear a distinguished punch that is missing from more recent albums simply because dynamic compression is so widespread and common nowadays), Nude With Boots and none of the recent Melvins albums have been plagued with anything terribly bad in terms of bad effects from the "loudness wars."

I understand compression completely and how it works, and am well aware of the modern trend of volume wars (to create the perception of a track "jumping out" on the radio) in mastering.  That said, this record doesn't have quite as much dynamic as other Melvins records of the past.  It's more straight up rock and as such I was expecting it to be mastered a little louder.  NWB seems to be somewhere around 5dB quieter than (A)SA to my ears.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

Offline bigjim

• shit talking thieves
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 12, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »
Just downloaded this.   So far its great and a bit different than what I expected but thats a good thing.  I will be buying this when it comes out and hopefully see them on tour for this record

Offline iluvfreempthrees

• former bassist
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 12, 2008, 01:25:22 PM »
Just downloaded this.   So far its great and a bit different than what I expected but thats a good thing.  I will be buying this when it comes out and hopefully see them on tour for this record
WHY BUY THE COW WHEN YOU CAN GET THE SWEET, SWEET, SWEET MILK FOR FREE?

YEW KNOW WHAT IM SAYIN???

I LOVE IT!!

Offline molotov

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 12, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »
Because.

Offline Doody the Clown

• gardening gloves
  • Iowa Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 12, 2008, 01:36:09 PM »

YEW KNOW WHAT IM SAYIN???

I LOVE IT!!
Buying the record is more like pitching in to buy the food that feeds the cow that producess the sweet, sweet, milk.

Unless you're planning on sending Buzzo a $200,000 check, I doubt you'll have a chance to buy the cow itself.

Uncle Fester

« Reply #382 on: April 12, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
so... anybody wanna actually describe the album? instead of just saying its awesome.
Im really curious. Im not gonna download it though... imma try to hold out.

Offline ___-----_____------_____

• H.F.S.P.R.!!
  • smell that oil and high-test gasoline
    • View Profile
    • cryptrecords
« Reply #383 on: April 12, 2008, 01:42:46 PM »
lets talk about dog island.   I'm hearing some maggot there in the psuedo-collapse at the end (manky).  I'm hearing some HAT (the fool) with the crunchy guitar early on and the bass that shakes your lower intestinal system.   its a goddamn genious track.

interesting,  now I was thinking more along the feel of "see how pretty, see how smart.."
Beauty is a Rare Thing - Ornette Coleman

Offline Doody the Clown

• gardening gloves
  • Iowa Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 12, 2008, 01:47:40 PM »
so... anybody wanna actually describe the album? instead of just saying its awesome.
I dunno about anybody else, but describing Melvins albums is pretty hard for me.

I can't really get anything past "it's awesome."

Uncle Fester

« Reply #385 on: April 12, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »
I dunno about anybody else, but describing Melvins albums is pretty hard for me.

I can't really get anything past "it's awesome."
Is it more down the lines of a senile animal or is it more like pigs? compare it to something, my comrade.

Offline anaconda

• snake in the grass
  • Global Moderator
  • MITROWSKI!!!
    • View Profile
    • Brad Black Design Group
« Reply #386 on: April 12, 2008, 02:03:25 PM »
hey fester, there's a discussion topic dedicated to reviews of Nude With Boots here:

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=9585.0

Offline Doody the Clown

• gardening gloves
  • Iowa Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 12, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »
I love how Jared and Buzz seem to share vocal duties on a lot of the songs.  One verse Buzz, one verse Jared, the chorus throws in the whole band sometimes.

Great stuff.

Jared's vocals at the end of Billy Fish where there were originally no vocals is probably my favorite part of the whole album.  He changes it up COMPLETELY while the song continues and it just grooves so damn well.

Mad Arab

« Reply #388 on: April 12, 2008, 03:25:56 PM »
So what is the running time for this album? 45 minutes? The Melvins only give just enough to tantalize.

ManWithNoName

« Reply #389 on: April 12, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »
I really, really like this album. I've only listened to it a few times now, but at first glance I have had most of the intuitions shared here.

I agree with black stallion. I also feel the ennio morricone connection on dies iraea.