Nude With Boots

Started by Jaron, March 27, 2008, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Fester

grays harbor mafia

so i gave in.. I got about 10 eamils from people from the forum that i have NEVER seen a post from...so i checked it out..and i love it..Blow ASA out  of the water completely.. No i will just hang out and wait for the FEDS to bust my door down and arrest me for illegaly downloading music.. Im scared.. 8-[
"the ass is last"      oldfartlips
"im just here for the sex" DC

tommyhc

Anyone notice the similarities between Dies Iraea and the Theme song for the Movie "The Shinning". Sounds like a cover.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EoHm6UywRTw&feature=related

Mount Ambulance

Definatly not what I was expecting ... good thing/bad thing. I figured with the Biz still on board it'd definatly be more "rawk" ... but I wasn't expecting the boogie it swings. Sometimes it works ... others errr' ... I donno. Like say 'Kicking Machine' ... yeah, diggin' it! This is what beach ball stadium "rawk" should sound like ... but I'm not feeling others like say 'Nude with Boots' (that opening riff is a straight up Rush rip-off ... can't place it exactly, the tune Lakeside Park mabey? I don't care enough to listen to Rush to find out ... ) are just a little too sunny & straight for me ... same w/ 'The Stupid Creep' ... I donno w/ all those bluesy Steve Miller guitar flourishs an' shit it sounds like the soundtrack for 25cent wing night down at the Keg or mabey the soundtrack for Miller Time?
    Same goes for all the vocal acrobatics ... the thing that I've always seen as true gold is Melvins vocal delivery. While its' changed and developed over the years; for me its' always retained one thing ... its' hard to describe. Think Vedder, Nickleback ... any of that atroticious shit ... that strained, over dramatic tone an' delivery (w/ harmony for added emotion!)... that generic growl & croon that makes it seem the singer really wants ya to "FEEL" him ... Melvins never had that ... that syrup! Now they do. Jared is much more classic metal ... shall we say Dio-ish (an if anyone evokes what I speak of its' little ol' Dio) & somtimes it just doesn't work for me ... for example say the outro to Billy Fish. In old live versions its that classic Melvins outro (think With Teeth or Judas Congo). that killer riff that everyone waits to hear ... the money shot ... the riff "every other band" would put lyrics (an hopefully ones sang in a really emotionally pensive tone)  on because its' the catchiest riff ... duh! Had more impact w/out singing for me ...Granted, it can be done well ... I love lots of bands that sing like that & thats one of the highlights even ... but I always loved that Melvins didn't need that cheese! Thats' not to say I don't dig the new found vocal fetish ... I think its a great area for them to explore which they haven't really up till now ... it just sounds really different ...
    Probably the most conflicted/blindsided by a release since some during Mark's tenure (Stag, Stoner Witch). But thats' what makes them so fucking great ... Like they care what I  (or you for that matter) think! Many releases I totally dig have other "fans" all up in arms. Now its' my turn! Sure it might not be my fave ... but I still dig that they aren't resting on their lorels ... pulling a Ramones or something.
    But indeed there are gems ... 'Dies Iraea' great atmospheric creep ... you can just hear Buzz sneering: "Fantomas? Yeah, come on Patton ya fuckin goon suck on this!" Buzz's vocals are a real standout on 'Suicide in Progress' as are the great guitar tones. 'The Smiling Cobra' ... hell yeah! Takes your frickin head off ... nice feedback ... economical ... but sweet, great gang vocal (gets' a little Dioish toward end thou). 'It Tastes Better Than The Truth' more great atmospheric creep ... paraniod, cagey, & demented (kinda reminds me of 22 Going On 23 by the Surfers). 'The Savage Hippy' was great when it came out on the 7" ... still is! Thou, makes me wonder if this a little "leak joke". Is that really 'The Savage Hippy'? Hmmmnn, think mabey they held it back ... ya know to fuck w/ downloaders? That would be cool as shit! While I liked it better before its not like the singing really wrecks 'Billy Fish' nice to hear it studio ... great drums! As others' have said Jared's bass has more dynamics & personality and thats a good thing ... the dual drums are even better this time ... great arrangements, fuckin' hella interplay btw Dale & Cody ... better definition between the two ... both in terms of less unison more counter drum parts & production wise. Thou its mp3 it seems Toshi's leaned more into the "produced" sound ... losts of depth an' atmosphere wich totally suits this set.
    Definatly in alot of respects very accessiable ... I can see this album garnering a whole new set of fan/dipshit ... teenie bopper QOTSA types (they really dig those Dioish vocal inflections ... makes them identify more when their making out or singing into their comb in front of the mirror). I sure hope not though. I've listened to Melvins for more than 20yrs an' I always loved that it just never appealed to that set (or any set really) ... Hipster bullshit? Selfish? Sure, I guess ... but I'm sure some of you here get it ... ya get protective 'bout your favorite band ... the Melvins often seemed to appeal to a very broad spectrum ... and that's always appealed to me ... Though, Melvins deserve all of Solomons' riches I really hope it doesn't come at the expense of  a homogonized sea of backpack as fashion see ya next tuesdays ...
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Mount Ambulance

'The Savage Hippy' was great when it came out on the 7" ... still is! Thou, makes me wonder if this a little "leak joke". Is that really 'The Savage Hippy'? Hmmmnn, think mabey they held it back ... ya know to fuck w/ downloaders? That would be cool as shit!
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Rev. Mike

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on April 12, 2008, 06:50:18 PM
'The Savage Hippy' was great when it came out on the 7" ... still is! Thou, makes me wonder if this a little "leak joke". Is that really 'The Savage Hippy'? Hmmmnn, think mabey they held it back ... ya know to fuck w/ downloaders? That would be cool as shit!

Haze said over on the amrep board that Buzz had told him Real Fuckin' Nasty would be on the new album.  No mention of the name change though.

(the) Razor

I can't see how there could be such a massive difference of recording quality on the same album between the songs.
Don't click this

(the) Razor

I'm not so sure about this album - it's lacking a bit for me but I don't know why. I think it's because I was expecting them to go back to a darker mysterious sound like they went through on Honky and the Trilogy but then again they always surprise.... There are some cool tracks on it like the Morricone/Earth sounding Dies Iraea and there's also Billy Fish and Suicide and the title track but the rest are pretty substandard to me as far as this band is capable (totally subjective of course). I'm also judging this pretty early and I'm not even sure if this is the final mix (Real Fucking Nasty being passed off for another song for an example)...I also think that the vocals are probably the most average for a Melvins record in a long time. Did anyone else think that?

I hope this is the last album with the Big Business guys, and both Boots and Animal were just another experimental detour in their long history. There's nothing wrong with the BB guys - they're great and Big Business is great but I just prefer the Melvins as a trio. Kevin too, shit that was a nice lineup. ...Oh well to bad. Compared to all the albums I've heard this year Nude With Boots is pretty good and it's great to see bands like Melvins still experimenting though. Kudos to them and I hope this is a successful album for them, they deserve it. Sorry for the whine, but I felt like posting that...Anyway, I'll be getting it the day it's released.

Nice review Mount Ambulance.
Don't click this

blag jesus himself

before buzz started singing on the kicking machine, i thought i accidentally downloaded a new clutch cd

Metalhead Cow

I'm listening to it right now for the first time. Only on "Dog Island" at the moment. So far, I'm liking it but not loving it, which is pretty much always how I feel at first, listening to a new Melvins record.

molotov

Hello, Houdini!

Excellently! I such didn't expect. Great album! Absolutely all songs without exception are good. Undoubtedly it is better than (A)SA. More grunge, more progressive, more Melvins! Recently I wrote in "rate the records". "Nude With Boots" - absolutely 10/10. Bravo guys!

Doody the Clown

Quote from: SpaceFarm on April 12, 2008, 08:45:26 PM
I can't see how there could be such a massive difference of recording quality on the same album between the songs.
Maybe you got a bad copy?

All of the songs sound the same to me in terms of quality, except The Savage Hippy of course.

Unless that's the only song you meant had a massive difference of recording quality.

blag jesus himself

i think it sounds just fine.

just like the 'lo fi' sounding parts in pink bat, it fits the song and you should love it.

Doody the Clown

Quote from: blag jesus himself on April 13, 2008, 12:57:31 AM
i think it sounds just fine.

just like the 'lo fi' sounding parts in pink bat, it fits the song and you should love it.
Yeah, Real Fucking Nasty (or The Savage Hippy as is it now) fits perfectly at the quality it's at.  That's why it's real fucking nasty.

(the) Razor

Quote from: Doody the Clown on April 13, 2008, 12:41:32 AM
Unless that's the only song you meant had a massive difference of recording quality.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Don't click this