Nude With Boots

Started by Jaron, March 27, 2008, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess

Dude, I go apeshit over all that stuff, but Gluey is the shit. Complete insanity.

Maybe peaking was not the right term, but it's the archetype they laid down for what they later would become.

Doody the Clown

Quote from: norecess on April 14, 2008, 11:23:24 AM
Quote from: Doody the Clown on April 14, 2008, 07:39:14 AM
So far I like all the stuff with Big Biz better than old Melvins

Just wondering if anyone else agrees. Anyone?

Every time I put on GPT I can't help but thinking 'goddamn! they were goddamn peaking here!'.
I like to think about it like this.

The Melvins were completely different people then.  The music was completely different, and will always continue to be completely different.  I don't think they're ever compelled to record another album that sounds like Gluey or Ozma or Houdini or Stoner Witch, so comparing old and new is kind of pointless, when all that really matters is what is yet to come.

The classic Melvins sound has been copied many times, and they continuously show an ability to grow and change beyond anything ever expected from them, without emulating some other style completely.  Buzzo's guitar work is better than it's ever been, in my opinion.  He's always come up with odd and catchy rhythms, but the riffing has become even better, more "standard" yeah, but still incredibly original and captivating.  Civilized Worm and Billy Fish are probably my favorite examples of this...

But yeah, I am a relatively new fan, so I guess I've experienced the Melvins differently than most of you old farts and look at it with a relatively fresh viewpoint.  I'm just eager for what the future brings and less worried about "the glory days."

black stallion

Quote from: norecess on April 14, 2008, 11:49:44 AM
Dude, I go apeshit over all that stuff, but Gluey is the shit. Complete insanity.

Maybe peaking was not the right term, but it's the archetype they laid down for what they later would become.

fully agree
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Leroy

Greasy Statement

i'm digging it. heavy zeppelin vibe to it, but in a good way. interesting that they'd use/re-title "real fucking nasty"
"it tastes better than the truth" is wonderfully mean and ugly sounding. more listens will give me a more definite opinion, but my thumbs are up, as i think both my wife and imaginary future girlfriend's may be....

glen

Quote from: Greasy Statement on April 14, 2008, 01:42:09 PM
as i think both my wife and imaginary future girlfriend's may be....

just call me the think-tank behind homewreckings worldwide.   :D

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Uncle Fester

I  get a Bloated Pope vibe from suicide in progress at times.

I completely agree with glen on that comment he made. Buzz really does utilize his surroundings and in an intelligent manner i would say. He works with what hes got. Hes given tools to construct songs in sucha way that allows him to. Now when we speak about tools, i can say and i think that wed all agree that Dale  would be the hammer... with jackhammer tendencies, And buzz would most definatley be the saw. what are coady and jared? coady is just another slightly smaller hammer. i dont think he has that added feature to himself that dale has...You know.. the thing that can jam out nails. jared i would think is the whole construction yard. hes just there... wherever you go.. hes always gonna be there... if you just wanna go hammer sometshit into a piece of wood in solitude.,.. hell still be there eating your lunch.
I propose the melvins do a construction yard themed album next. Anyone who has the balls to admit that they need to do an album like this should speak.

CaptainPungent

they've worked out all their kinks <3

Greasy Statement

Quote from: glen on April 14, 2008, 01:51:39 PM

just call me the think-tank behind homewreckings worldwide.   :D

curse you and your tempting thoughts, sob....

:o

OfficerButtcrack

I think NWBoots is song-wise better than a(SA). But it doesn't compare to Stag or HAT although it might be too early say. I really like nearly all of Jared's vocals. For example his vocal part 5 minutes into Dog Island is just awesome. I think he is better singer than Buzz but Buzz is better overall vocalist.

glen

I was thinking The Stupid Creep reminds me of a Butthole Surfers song.    something like the last track on Hairway To Steven.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

nickoctane

I'm loving it, but i'm always partial to new melvins. I think it's their greatest combonation of "noise" and song since Stoner Witch. Track 2 and track 11 take the cake so far.

nickoctane

just looking at the track list on the home page.... my version is different, Billy Fish is track 3 on my "version", I'm guessing Dog Island is the track i was refering to as track 2. People who know, would know this as the "Zepplin" sounding opening drum/riff. I also agree about that song sounding like the intro to the shinning. IT HAS TO BE A COVER!!! It also needs to be the intro song for every Melvins set for at least the next year. F'n Brilliant album

nickoctane

will report more once i figure out the track list i have running

FartLips

Quote from: black stallion on April 14, 2008, 11:53:34 AM
Quote from: norecess on April 14, 2008, 11:49:44 AM

fully agree
so right maar. gluey is the hardcore angst that melvins were back in the day. much like kill 'em all
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol: