Nude With Boots

Started by Jaron, March 27, 2008, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

Not sure how I ended up re-reading this whole 60 page thread, but I did. Amazing how the lineup and sonic change was taken back then. History repeats.

Kicking Machine is still my absolute jam from this record, but I also consider the beginning of "Suicide in Progress" and the slithering first half of "Dog Island" to be essential, inexorable Melvins. And there's plenty more on here to discover. This record does have more passages of noise, atmosphere, and experiment than its predecessor. But overall pretty solid. I go back and forth on "It Tastes Better Than The Truth" as I like it as a piece but it it just doesn't seem like it belongs on a Melvins album.

"Billy Fish" and "Dies Arrhea" are solid (or liquid if you prefer).

"Savage Hippy" is a better name and works well on the album, but it does disrupt the discography if you already collected the non collector scum disc or whichever amrep CD has the singles. Would have preferred they hold off for the album.

"Stupid Creep" is easily overlooked but a tight little punk (punk for the Melvins) number.

"Nude With Boots" is the anomaly, a song which seems to have a melodic joyous tone unlike almost all the records before or after. It's only in the pleated and collapsed rhythms, the length of riff, and the eventual doomy resolution that it's clearly and unequivocally Buzz.

tinnitus photo

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on May 24, 2018, 07:54:32 AM
I meant to post this on the album's anniversary (8 July) but due to other plans she's up early.

A tenth anniversary tribute review here!

http://doodlehound.blogspot.com/2018/05/distant-revisitation-melvins-nude-with.html?m=1

holy shit it's 10 years old.

that's fucking w/ my mind.

Dumpster D

This album has a very special place in my heart of hearts.

It was the one thing I had there for me when I was going through a tough time, and it really sounds silly to say but it was there for me when I needed to get through.

It's a righteous album.

Dumpster D

I saw a T-shirt in the kingston SAS surplus the other day with this image on it, and It looks familiar...

Apparently this is Blackbeards Flag.

amazonAMAZON

Yep, there are a good number of these classic jolly Roger designs here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger

Dumpster D

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on April 09, 2019, 09:13:35 AM
Yep, there are a good number of these classic jolly Roger designs here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger

Reminds of the liner stuff from the bride screamed murder.

blewis

Fucking DOG ISLAND, am I right? One of their best tracks from any era. I love tripping over classic tracks and obsessing over how good they are.
The one and only....

el gep

Quote from: blewis on September 23, 2020, 09:26:01 AM
Fucking DOG ISLAND, am I right? One of their best tracks from any era. I love tripping over classic tracks and obsessing over how good they are.
Yeach!

And "The Smiling Cobra" is so good and brutal!
Did they ever play this song LIVE???

el gep

vince furnier

Quote from: blewis on September 23, 2020, 09:26:01 AM
yup! Billy Fish!
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

el gep

"Billy Fish" TOOO!
Whatever, I do consider "Nude With Boots" as one of their best albums.
The writing process, as one say in America, is brilliant, "Billy Fish" is a good example. There is something scientific in this album and something really weird too (just like the joyfull feel' sometimes), somehow autistic.

Dumpster D

Definitely this has a special place in my heart. It was one of those albums I just lived in for what felt like a whole summer, and it got me through some times.

It's Righteous.

jules

I have a large handful of the original Nude With Boots sleeves (sleeves only and in shrinkwrap) - the ones without JK02 written on them - for a couple of bucks each + shipping from UK if anyone needs one. (The JK02 sleeve housed the reissue that wasn't warped.)

amazonAMAZON

Is that the dog sitting version or the dog on its hind legs? Just curious. I have no idea what I'd do with extra vinyl sleeves.