what is songs like let it all be about? (I changed this)

Started by klump, November 03, 2005, 07:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen

it think your absolutely right bob.
after 20 years I would imagine you probably get a little "fanned" out.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Joe Deutrom

Just let it all be.  :D

Buzz doesn't put a lot of deep thought into his lyrics, he has said so himself. As far as how approachable he is before or after a show, he has been very approachable at the five shows I have seen. It's weird though, I think Dale is not very approachable in that he doesn't go out of his way to mingle like I have witnessed with Buzz. But others here say that Dale is very approachable and cordial with fans. But I can't blame them for being stand offish toward inebriated persons at their shows yelling out "Rock and Roll man!" and throwing up the horned devil signs, picking fights with other people. I wouldn't like it either. Typical stuff it may be but you still don't have to like it.

Joe Deutrom

Yeah, Hooch for example is a lyrical masterpiece. His lyrics are wrote around the music rather than trying to express some idea.

cellphone

As I get older I listen to lyrics less for their content and more for their sound.  The rhythm and motion of the words (the muscle? :P) over the ideas is what I go for because so many times songs concentrating on ideas are far too forced for me to enjoy.  The Melvins balance it enough where the song _could_ be about something, but it's made in such a way that it becomes a mirror of your own thoughts and what you attach to them, and keeps a tight connection to the music itself.  No part of the music really overpowers the other. 

I think a good example of a very seperated music would be Rage Against the Machine (especially the latter two albums).  It's like four guys trying to play over eachother, especially that toad De la Rocha trying to be like the Bono of the mexican rap world.

klump

hehe, this is great, tomorrow Im gonna say that the Bit is about Kurt Cobain!  :lol:

klump

threads like these are stupid.

I wrote that one a whim after listening to let it all be and the silent treatment.
but it surely made an interesting thread though :)

and if y`all had fun, what could be wrong??

let it all be  :lol:

seas of luck

I've always thought it was more about Atlantic considering it was one of the first things they did since they got dropped.

"The way you take the muscle from the song"

Sounds like something a record company would do.

norecess

Quote from: Joe Deutrom on November 04, 2005, 06:39:47 PM
Yeah, Hooch for example is a lyrical masterpiece. His lyrics are wrote around the music rather than trying to express some idea.

In that case, go enlighten Hog Log in the Lyrics section.

Chomas

its like the band has stated themselves - the words are really like another instrument, not exactly to be taken literally...

oh yeah and the Jelvins kick fucking ass by the way, pick up their new one if you maybe weren't feeling the first one all that much...

meanclown

It's time for Melvins to one-up the Beatles & compile an "illustrated lyrics" hardcover! Few things would be greater than that - all the lyrics to every song, on paper, with artwork for each  - kind of a cousin volume to the super-cool "Neither Here Nor There".  Mind you, I'm not asking that any interpretation accompany the lyrics  - just the lyrics (and art) - for all of us to marvel at for all eternity.

TosT

y'know, i honestly don't want to read the "actual" lyrics...

klump

Quote from: TosT on November 14, 2005, 11:21:48 AM
y'know, i honestly don't want to read the "actual" lyrics...

yeah, thats my opinion too, but once in a while you just REALLY want to know.
but not knowing the lyrics keeps us interested.

meanclown

hey klump - i hear you -the  rock & roll purist in me doesn't wanna read 'em, to an extent, though I've always been a firm believer in words & music being  kinda joined at the hip  (personally, i can't "hear" one without the other)....I think putting the words on paper could take away from some of the "pure listening satisfaction" experience & sense of adventure, possibly (or could it open up another door into an alternate universe?).....I admire Melvins as real innovators though, because "lyrics" in their case seem to just add to the overall atmosphere of the tune, regardless of the content..the music & lyric are kinda "melded together"......but the part of me that's fascinated with "word play" & just plain old great & weird lyrics  just can't resist the urge....I mean let's face it....Buzz has practically invented an entire sub-language unto himself.....and it amazes me.....us old english majors die hard....(and i'll warn ya's now, I can't spell for sh*t!)....