Altamont - The Monkee's Uncle reviews

Started by Chief Ten Beers, July 30, 2005, 11:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klump

I think Altamont is gonna put out more stuff now.

manstruate

DubEMC

No, they didn't do " Whiskey Woman " by the Flamin Groovies either!
Actually I haven't listen to it yet since mine came with the new Earthride. That one is so heavy I can't get it out of the cd player!!!

Chief Ten Beers

Yeah, this disc owns. Dale brings the rock. Dave Grohl wishes he rocked like this. Nice Mackie artwork as always. The track "El Stupido" is the weirdest, sounds similar to QOTSA's "No One Knows", could be a joke on that tune. "In A Better World" is a Screamers cover. Really digging this, but I think "Civil War Fantasy" is still my favorite.

Joe Deutrom

If I recall correctly, there is a song on this album that does have a QOTSA feel to it.

glen

yeah, I believe that is EL STUPIDO.  although I have never heard anything from QOTSA besides radio shit. I do recall that it sounds like that "no one knows" song.  kinda bouncy.

DUM DUM FEVER is just down right nasty.         alot of references to being stupid on this disc.
dum dum fever, el stupido, plus I believe dale's lyrics reference ignorance a couple more times.

I dig how dale does his own thing.  he doesn't try to be terribly heavy or riffy. it's just rock the way HE likes it.  in classic MELVINS fashion, catering to NO ONE.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

GrimReaper

norecess

Quote from: klump on November 07, 2005, 05:10:03 PM
"No one knows"  is a ripped off Canned Heat song.

My father recently told me that Blue Cheers has sampled an old blues song in Parchment Farm (sp?) titled Doo Wah Diddy or something when I was playing Vincebus Eruptum. He meant the heavy part that the Melvins have also jammed several times at live shows. I downloaded two versions of the song by both Howlin' Wolf and Clapton but I couldn't hear it that obvious. When I heard a version of Doo Wah Diddy by an old Dutch blues band called Living Blues, it sounded exactly like it, the Melvins just play it heavier. So actually the Melvins never covered Parchment Farm but Doo Wah Diddy, they just the interpretation by Blue Cheer.

glen

looks like we got us a "rip-off"  daisy chain. (ouch!)

actually, I refuse to accept or believe dale would rip-off anyone or any song.  I just think it's a relatively common and catchy riff.   there is no way I am thinking that dale listened to QOTSA and said "yeah, I'm going to write a song just like that".  besides dale has GOT IT ALL OVER QOTSA. with or without MELVINS.

and recess........  what?  you totally lost me on that one. who did WHAT now with WHO's song?
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

norecess

Quote from: glen on November 08, 2005, 06:26:24 AM
and recess........  what?  you totally lost me on that one. who did WHAT now with WHO's song?

The Melvins have covered Parchment Farm by Blue Cheer, a track off their classic Vincebus Eruptum. There's a heavy part in this song, which is actually an old blues song, titled Doo Wah Diddy. When the Melvins jammed Parchment Farm, they only played the heavy part (AFAIK) so therefore they actually covered Doo Wah Diddy. I will upload the Living Blues version of Doo Wah Diddy tonight so you all can see for yourself.

Green Honey

Don't you mean Diddy Wah Diddy by Bo Diddley? Do Wah Diddy isn't exactly an old blues song.
But i don't think either of them sound like Parchment Farm, well maybe the riff is a little bit similar.

TheSwingSet

speaking of covers/rip offs...could anyone hook me up with Altamonts "rattle snake shake" im a petergreen fanatic...and i can only imagine how good this must be...

I like FrankBank...very nice sounding stuff...
i should have my Monkees Uncle in a week or two...

I really like the Altamont stuff thats on the AcidKing split...
RedJackson is the shit.
Indeed...

thanks for any help
"SwingSet you look like a bunch of guys I know in Ireland.  It's a particular  look I can't describe.  A sort of don't fuck with me or I'll kill you look.
I mean all this in the nicest possible way of course"
--conj

norecess

Quote from: Green Honey on November 08, 2005, 08:16:39 AM
Don't you mean Diddy Wah Diddy by Bo Diddley? Do Wah Diddy isn't exactly an old blues song.
But i don't think either of them sound like Parchment Farm, well maybe the riff is a little bit similar.

Huh? How the hell did I think of Howlin' Wolf. Of course I meant Bo Diddley! But like I said, I'll upload the Livin' Blues version tonight, so you can listen for yourself.