Toshi's production on Melvins albums

Started by Leroy, June 08, 2009, 12:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leroy

Just out of curiousity, why do some people have a problem with Toshi's production on some of the Melvins albums?  I think it's just fine.  It's not overproduced, and despite everything the guitar is still mixed fine and crisp.

black stallion

i think his production is not bad but i would like to hear a bigger drum sound in the mix.
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

>>>JZS<<<

shit sounds great...props for mixing two drum sets with such clarity.

glen

Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on June 08, 2009, 12:52:00 PM

so I suppose you're starting to think I follow you around and shit on everything you post. :D

BLOOD WITCH:  coulda been sharper.  I hate that little compression thing at the end of every beat.
like:   "CHUG! (compression)    CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! (compression) CHUG    CHUG CHUG! (compression)

I don't get why toshi couldn't take that out.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: glen on June 08, 2009, 12:58:48 PM
Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on June 08, 2009, 12:52:00 PM

so I suppose you're starting to think I follow you around and shit on everything you post. :D

BLOOD WITCH:  coulda been sharper.  I hate that little compression thing at the end of every beat.
like:   "CHUG! (compression)    CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! (compression) CHUG    CHUG CHUG! (compression)

I don't get why toshi couldn't take that out.

you can't be serious .

black stallion

what do you think of the drum sound of this glen? :D

norecess

Quote from: black stallion on June 08, 2009, 01:13:34 PM
what do you think of the drum sound of this glen? :D

in more than one way, this is such a perfect album.

glen

serious as serious gets.

go listen.  I'm telling you.  pop in (A)SA right now.  skip to blood witch.
you don't hear that?

it bugs me.  the song is supposed to be sharp and bursty.   now listen to a live version of the same track. the compression is gone. it sounds so much better.

MELVINS are the greatest sound making machine of all time.  no question.
but its okay to find some fault once in a while.  they'll forgive me for it.

and hey stallion.. the drums on WWS sound 197% mindblowing.   did toshi record them? me thinks not.    besides.. I'm not knocking the sound of the drums. I'm knocking the failure to remove what I hear as a glitch.    and if I may be so bold as to rebutt myself.. I would venture to guess that buzz osborne might say "its supposed to sound like that".
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

black stallion

Quote from: glen on June 08, 2009, 01:18:47 PM

and hey stallion.. the drums on WWS sound 197% mindblowing.   did toshi record them? me thinks not.    
i have no problem with Toshi as engineer,he's good.anyway, besides the Atlantic era,where guess they had a different budget for the recording session(Stoner Witch in my opinion has the best drum sound in history of music),i have to say the lower budget production on Lysol/Eggnog was my favourite so far,speaking of drum sound.about WWS i think you have to thank this man

>>>JZS<<<

it bugs me.  the song is supposed to be sharp and bursty.   now listen to a live version of the same track. the compression is gone. it sounds so much better.

live is always different. .......And,yeah, how do you know how it's ''supposed'' to sound like ?  :) Recording is so subjective,so, I mean no ones perception can be wrong.

I am the Sun

I hear a lot of studio acoustics in his mixes. His mixes sound like they involve a lot more room miking as opposed to individually miking each instrument. If you listen closely to the drums you can hear the echos and reverberation coming off the walls in the studio. I don't really mind his style of mixing but I think his drum sound is a little thin.

kurva

Melvins should sound HUGE.

And I agree. Lysol and WWS are a good (i mean the best?) example of how drums should sound. And you can add High on Fire's Blessed Blck Wings to that list as well (the bass and drums together sound just PERFECT on that album... that part in Face of Oblivion with the snare and bass pounding behind the guitar riffing? damn...).

FartLips

serious as serious gets.

go listen.  I'm telling you.  pop in (A)SA right now.  skip to blood witch.
you don't hear that?

MELVINS are the greatest sound making machine of all time.  no question.
but its okay to find some fault once in a while.  they'll forgive me for it.

and hey stallion.. the drums on WWS sound 197% mindblowing.   did toshi record them? me thinks not.    besides.. I'm not knocking the sound of the drums. I'm knocking the failure to remove what I hear as a glitch.    and if I may be so bold as to rebutt myself.. I would venture to guess that buzz osborne might say "its supposed to sound like that".
yeah the noise gates are in full effect on this record. personally i think albini should handle the drums.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Chief Ten Beers

Toshi's production is great, H.A.T. is probably my favorite. I think that album has the best drum sound.
  Buzz has stated before that he purposely doesn't want studio albums to sound exactly like live shows and vice versa(TV Eye Vol 3 interview), and I get that.

I am the Sun

I didn't know Toshi did H.A.T. too. That disc has some of my favorite production on a Melvins album