Another new Buzz guitar from EGC

Started by Idlehanz, January 17, 2014, 10:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spliff(TONE)

Quote from: black stallion on October 05, 2023, 11:40:24 PM
it's not that difficult to understand that my opinion was based not on the two videos i shared but on the live sound Buzz got over the years, which changed a lot, in a bad or better way it depends on personal tastes obviously . with this said ,i didn't mean to disappoint  the many fanboys over here  :)

Except that you were literally comparing Wata's live Gibson tone to King Buzzo's live EGC tone, linking two videos of the same song from the same tour to show what you were talking about. If you were simply trying to state what you are here that's fine, but it was a pretty odd way to do it.

We all have our opinions but the biggest difference I have noticed in the Melvins live sound from show to show over the years seems to come more from what venue they're playing at more so than what equipment they are using (with the one significant exception being Trevor Dunn using a standup bass on the Melvins Lite tour).

black stallion

if you think that was odd i have no problem with it. many old school fans of the band understood what i meant i guess, it's normal to have different opinions on things, a matter of fact is that Buzz changed his set up (not only the guitar), it's normal to have a change in the sound department too.Wata in that video sounds pretty similar to the old Buzz, that's why i posted it...
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

joelk

This thread has been interesting to read! And for my part I'm sorry I used cavalier language and wrong conjecture about the EGC itself. I do not lean toward the guitar style itself primarily, but certainly that point is subjective. Additionally most players I associated with it have a sharper sort of sound, which may be the "brighter" tone John mentions above. This is also not my preference but like I said, perhaps if I tried one I might find the tone I desire and already find in the Les Paul guitar. Could very well be! Glad to have seen everyone's take though, and to be corrected in my ignorance.

vince furnier

i'm not upset at anyone over this shit.  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

joelk

glen

we don't judge anyone for being wrong.

:banana:
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

John Schuller

Quote from: black stallion on October 06, 2023, 01:23:23 AM
if you think that was odd i have no problem with it. many old school fans of the band understood what i meant i guess, it's normal to have different opinions on things, a matter of fact is that Buzz changed his set up (not only the guitar), it's normal to have a change in the sound department too.Wata in that video sounds pretty similar to the old Buzz, that's why i posted it...

I would agree that Wata is capturing that old tone that we know when we listen to Bullhead. Wata is also a fucking tone scientist fully worthy of two full Orange stacks and all of it's power!

John Schuller

Really though - the best guitar in the world is the Gibson Les Paul, followed by the Gibson SG, followed by the Fender Stratocaster.

Especially if you put the Matt Pike Dragonaut pickups in your Les Paul - and then play that shit through an Orange Rockerverb. It took me years to get to this point in my rig and tone. If I was still using what I used in 1987 (Fender Strat and Peavey Classic Chorus) I would be bumming out hard!!!!

I personally like that Buzz has changed up his sound. What is really interesting though is that the two constants are Buzz and his Pre-Amp. It seems like he has always used the Beta Lead since the earliest of times and still does via the Sol Invictus pedal.

trinityrolaand

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! The Gibson Les Paul and SG are indeed legendary guitars, and there's something special about the classic tone they deliver. And those Matt Pike Dragonaut pickups sound like they add some serious punch to the mix!
It's cool to see Buzz exploring new sounds while still sticking to his roots with the Beta Lead and Sol Invictus pedal. That kind of consistency can really shape a musician's signature sound over the years.
If you're ever looking to expand your gear collection or dive deeper into guitar discussions, you should check out https://guitarsrepublic.com/guide/. It's a treasure trove of info and a great place to connect with fellow enthusiasts.

Dumpster D

crushr24

I too prefer the tone of the Les Paul.  Buzz has said in many interviews that he got sick of breaking Les Paul necks from the stresses of touring.  But I too think Buzz's hearing to shot after years of playing at 11.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money
trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and
pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side."

― Hunter S. Thompson

Dumpster D

Quote from: crushr24 on March 21, 2024, 04:01:04 AMbreaking Les Paul necks from the stresses of touring.

The 'airline' people..Is the problem area for guitar breakage, hence why they're still rippin' coast to coast in the Melvan.

FartLips

Quote from: crushr24 on March 21, 2024, 04:01:04 AMI too prefer the tone of the Les Paul.  Buzz has said in many interviews that he got sick of breaking Les Paul necks from the stresses of touring.  But I too think Buzz's hearing to shot after years of playing at 11.
yeah he doesn't wear earplugs.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol: