The Bride Screamed Murder

Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fool

I preordered the album from Amazon weeks ago...
It's not my fault they don't charge you for items until they ship them anymore or Ipecac would have got my money already- before I even had the opportunity to 'steal' it.
take care,
The Fool

the bloat

I'll spare those that haven't heard the record a song-by-song breakdown (for now), but this sounds like the most fun our boys have had in the studio yet. Someone posted earlier that it reminded them of Prick meets the Maggot (or something) and I can see that, but not in a literal sense. The Bride Screamed Murder is peppered with moments that remind me of "Roll Another One". Brief flashes of heavy-handed wackiness, drum-offs, a capella sing-alongs, right turns, whistling, left turns, upside down, heaviness, melody, drunk jazz, kazoos. It's not experimental in the Honky or Stag sense. Maybe more in the vein of "Flush". You know, weird for weird's sake.

I mean just look at the fucking cover. Buzz will tell you that they were totally serious, but I get the sense there was a lot of goofing off in between nailing down some fucking cool, intricate riffage. It's not inherently heavy or anything, so it's hard to compare to any of their other stuff. In fact, if anything can be said about TBSM, and I think it already has been, there is no other record in their catalog that sounds like this one. Those of you who are choosing to wait, get really excited.

There is a lot to absorb here and it's still Big Business era Melvins, so don't be expecting the Maggot or Ozma or some shit. Those came out a long time ago, but it's easily the best batch of tunes they've cobbled together since HAT / POTRE.

PS. Can anyone tell me what is happening at the 3 minute mark of "Ill Finish You Off"? Is that a Skin Horse thing going on?

Like Stee

Quote from: the bloat on May 05, 2010, 11:54:49 PMPS. Can anyone tell me what is happening at the 3 minute mark of "Ill Finish You Off"? Is that a Skin Horse thing going on?

Those are the guest vocals by Alvin & The Chipmunks.
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

Idlehanz

I caved.  I DON'T feel bad.  They're getting my money the day it comes out.  Probably a few times.  Cd, vinyl, whatever else it comes out on.  It's those that don't pay the band for their time and effort that should be ridiculed and harrassed.

That said, I cannot wait to see how some of this material translates live, and to see how some of the crowd reacts to it.  This record is all over the place.  VERY different from ASA or NWB.  Not as rock accesible, even though it has the pounding riffs, but they come and go just as fast as they start.  

I'd watched interviews where Buzz has said he likes to keep it simple.  Use pedals and equipment that can be easily replaced, should it break down on the road.  It got me to thinking I'd like to hear an album with some experimentation in the sense that the band work with some things that would be difficult to reproduce live.  Weird pedals, weird changes, vox, and just use things that cannot be possibly be recreated live without having 20 people onstage.  This isn't quite it, but it's certainly going that direction.  The organs, harmonica, military call and answer;  PG X 3 !!  Those vox are amazing.  I keep listening and forgetting it's just vocals at times.  I hope they finish the live sets with this song.  The guitar after the vox only part is beautiful.   Then the kid  1 2 3 4 5 6.....They can do what's needed to finish the show with it, I just hope they do.  4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 44444444444444444444444

This was a weird first listen, but like many have said, it grows on you.  

Oh, and they know it's been leaked.  So just either d/l it and buy the cd when it comes out, or wait for it to come out and buy it.   Just don't be a dick and d/l it and not buy the album.  Because then your ripping off my favorite band and I'll hate you forever.  :)

The Fool

Quote from: Idlehanz on May 06, 2010, 01:27:04 AM
I caved.  I DON'T feel bad.  They're getting my money the day it comes out.  Probably a few times.  Cd, vinyl, whatever else it comes out on.  It's those that don't pay the band for their time and effort that should be ridiculed and harrassed.

...Oh, and they know it's been leaked.  So just either d/l it and buy the cd when it comes out, or wait for it to come out and buy it.   Just don't be a dick and d/l it and not buy the album.  Because then your ripping off my favorite band and I'll hate you forever.  :)

indeeeed!!!
take care,
The Fool

runk the punk

Like I said earlier, on my first listen of this album, this is exactly what the Water Glass reminded me of at around the 3 minute mark:

full metal jacket eskimo pussy

I pictured Buzz as the drill sargent and Coady, Dale and Jared as the new recruits !  :lol:  :D

dijk cheese

just a point cause of all the talk of high morals.
when you see a photo you like on the net do you track down the photographer and forward him/her some money, moreso when you use the photo for a blog, message board or desktop?
same goes for alot of various art and media?
ill prob buy the album on vinyl but thats besides the point. the rules have changed for the music recording industry, thats the way it is. guilt trips are for the church and mothers with young children.

...ill finish you off is the melvins track ive heard since rutmanis era. really like this release.
i say i can't, but i really mean i won't.

buddy holiday

had my first listen of the whole album this morning on my way to work. the album is very good! i think it's more diverse than the last two albums. it's the MELVINS! WE ALL LOVE THE MELVINS!

can't wait for the next euro tour!

Rembrandt Pussyhorse

I don't like it. What i loved about the Melvins is how they made less sound more. Now it's all crammed. Big Bussiness ruined my Melvins.
I could catch a monkey

h3r3t!c

I disagree with the people who say this album sounds nothing like earlier albums.

I especially hear some parts in some songs which are similar to "Let God Be Your Gardener" (Pig House, Electric Flower), some Maggotesque music (first part of THe Water Glass, Inhumanity and Death) and some melodic stuff similar to lets say the first half of "The Bloat" (Hospital Up).

MrLuck87

Quote from: h3r3t!c on May 06, 2010, 05:08:29 AM
I disagree with the people who say this album sounds nothing like earlier albums.

I especially hear some parts in some songs which are similar to "Let God Be Your Gardener" (Pig House, Electric Flower), some Maggotesque music (first part of THe Water Glass, Inhumanity and Death) and some melodic stuff similar to lets say the first half of "The Bloat" (Hospital Up).

"some parts in some songs" doesn't mean the entire album sounds like something they've done before.  If a new fan came up to me and said he loved The Maggot this wouldn't be the next album I'd recommend.

(the) Razor

Quote from: Rembrandt Pussyhorse on May 06, 2010, 04:40:23 AM
I don't like it. What i loved about the Melvins is how they made less sound more. Now it's all crammed.

Interesting statement. I agree some of the songs seem a little direction-less...but I friggin love it anyway!

Melvins being Melvins.

Don't click this

norecess

Quote from: Rembrandt Pussyhorse on May 06, 2010, 04:40:23 AM
I don't like it. What i loved about the Melvins is how they made less sound more. Now it's all crammed. Big Bussiness ruined my Melvins.

^ what he said