Another new Buzz guitar from EGC

Started by Idlehanz, January 17, 2014, 10:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on September 21, 2022, 09:18:11 AM
At this point I think it's just part of his tour ritual. New mumu. New guitar. Cross off two songs from setlist and recycle two others. Rehearse rehearse rehearse, done!

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 21, 2022, 09:32:09 AM
I'd love to know if he has to pay full whack to get them, has them at a reduced rate or if they are freebies.

I would guess he gets 'em (at least some of 'em) at a discount of some sort. Good promotion for EGC. Kinda scratch mine I'll scratch yours niceties.

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 21, 2022, 09:32:09 AM
Same goes for the mumu's too. I know he has said a lady (whose name escapes me) makes them. I wonder what they cost or if she charges him for them.

Coady's girl (wife? girlfriend? I dunno?) his squeeze, Suzy Yun. So, I imagine Buzz prob hands over full clams.

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 21, 2022, 06:04:19 AM
The EGC's just keep on comin'. I was slightly surprised to see he's playing Telecaster style EGC's live now too.

Yeah, I dig that tele one. I like those lucite ones and that tele is sharp af
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

black stallion

i honestly think Buzz had a better sound when he used to play a LP

not a fan of these guitars when played with distortion

Check Boris played by Boris with a LP

https://youtu.be/SCXWP5hoang?feature=shared

Check Boris played by Melvins with EGC
https://youtu.be/Zyi5ukJn0wg?feature=shared

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

backstard

You're comparing YouTube videos from two different people at two different shows. Good job.

black stallion

Quote from: backstard on October 03, 2023, 01:11:00 PM
You're comparing YouTube videos from two different people at two different shows. Good job.

so you think the sound is different because of the videos?good job  :)

glen

Quote from: black stallion on October 03, 2023, 11:59:29 AM

as usual Stallion knows his shit. 
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

FartLips

Quote from: glen on October 03, 2023, 02:08:37 PM
Quote from: black stallion on October 03, 2023, 11:59:29 AM

as usual Stallion knows his shit.
agreed on both counts.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

joelk

Stallions right. The Les Paul is a better instrument. Just facts. Buzz is probably at the point where hearing loss makes it six of one half a dozen yada yada. Plus the egc necks are easier and the instrument is lighter. I don't blame him.  But those guitars are lame AF. Look stupid too.

That said, Buzzo still wails and makes magic with whatever guitar he plays. It's all essentially negligible. He can play whatever he likes.

))))((((

Quote from: joelk on October 03, 2023, 08:54:38 PM
But those guitars are lame AF. Look stupid too.
I don't think they look stupid. Admittedly it took a while at first to get used to seeing Buzz with them but i think they have their own coolness too.

black stallion

i think they are great guitars, especially their clean tone, the neck must be great too, but the lack of low end in their tone is pretty evident compared to a Les Paul. and i din't mean to say Buzz has a bad guitar tone now, i like it..

joelk

I've personally never liked the look of them at all, but I suppose that's neither here nor there. Buzz still makes good noise with them.

I just always found the travis bean model guitar to look dopey. And the colors always look gimmicky rather than classic.

Maybe "ugly" is a better word than "stupid" or "dopey." And probably closer to what I mean without the overstated value judgment.

I think they work better for players like Duane Denison and Steve Albini who have a sharper, or busier approach to the riffs they write. The EGC seems to work really well for that.

But I agree that with the more massive hulking sound Melvins have staked out, it doesn't quite nail it like the Les Pauls did. I bet they're easier to keep from breaking though, and that no doubt would be a major incentive for a band that tours as much as they do.

In the end, what the fuck do I know beyond my preference. And I'll admit most of my issue with it is aesthetic, though the slight (but noticeable) sound differences also make me favor the Les Pauls.

But I should stop yucking someone else's yum, as the kids say. Clearly Buzz likes them and more power to him.

But also holy shit how does anyone like that "wedge" design one. Yee-uck.

glen

I think it's all about what makes Buzz's life easier these days.      the EGC's are substantially lighter, I'm sure.  plus they're free to him.   tone takes a bit of a back seat.   

welcome to the reality of old age.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

joelk

That makes perfect sense to me, frankly

vince furnier

he's on record saying that he doesn't get guitars for free from ECG. also told at least one rig rundown video they aren't lighter than an LP.  :lol:

you guys seem to miss the idea that the bands sound changed and guitar tone can come from other places than just the guitar.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

joelk

Quote from: joelk on October 04, 2023, 10:18:43 PM
They aren't lighter? I'll be damned. Stand corrected. And yes you're right there's plenty that probably plays a role in the slight change in sound besides the guitar alone. Fair point.

Besides guitars, Boris is operating a different live rig altogether. Different amps and cabs and pedals etc. So it's not even a fair comparison to judge the guitars.

Nor is a change in sound the end all measure of anything a band does.

Again, my gripe is mostly aesthetic anyway. Could be id try one of those EGCs and it would nail the sound I love in my head. Id have to get a different looking model tho  :P

Buzz has commented plenty of times that people who prefer x guitar don't know what the fuck they're talking about. He's probably right.

At the very least he's right about whatever sound he wants and uses for Melvins however he chooses. It's always killer music.

joelk

On a point separate from Melvins current guitar sound tho:

If anyone could help me figure out how to gain and keep this sound across a lifetime, id be forever grateful  :D

https://youtu.be/NkCP0O2q0gQ?si=HCis2UKBZZtvS7lf

Is he using the Beta Leads here? I can't tell from sight.