Sugar Daddy Live

Started by Pringles, February 23, 2011, 12:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: Leroy on June 03, 2011, 11:36:42 AM
What's better?  Sugar Daddy or the Pick Your Battles live disc?

Pick Your Battles by a bit. Lil' sloppy for me...

Metalhead Cow

Wow. It's been a year since Sugar Daddy was released.  :shock:

black stallion

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on May 30, 2012, 11:12:11 PM

Youre Choice live series is a killer live album,houdini live too. this,meh
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

(((O)))

Quote from: black stallion on May 31, 2012, 07:27:34 AM
this,meh
I don't know i thought it was pretty reasonable. Quite good. Mind you i've hardly listened to it for the past 10 months.  :?

Metalhead Cow

Quote from: black stallion on May 31, 2012, 07:27:34 AM
Quote from: Metalhead Cow on May 30, 2012, 11:12:11 PM

Youre Choice live series is a killer live album,houdini live too. this,meh

:D Granted, I still don't have Your Choice live series, but I love Sugar Daddy and I've listened to it a lot. Great performances, and sound quality, relatively long running length, killer versions of Boris, Eye Flys, Dog Island, A History Of Bad Men, The Star Spangled Banner (still cracks me up), Tipping The Lion, The Kicking Machine, etc. What don't you like about it?

black stallion

just got back to this album again...been listening to it on my stereo instead of shitty pc speakers and i must say it sounds great

Yanayaya

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on August 20, 2011, 12:55:47 PM
Quote from: Leroy on June 03, 2011, 11:36:42 AM
What's better?  Sugar Daddy or the Pick Your Battles live disc?

Pick Your Battles by a bit. Lil' sloppy for me...

PYB by a hair for me as well.  I actually prefer The Gluttony and The End over both.  Live Series is really good as well...  What about Gluttony vs. Endless Residency Houdini??!!  Gluttony gets my vote.
Al que está vivo todo le falta y al que está muerto todo le sobra.

Metalhead Cow

The performances of Boris, Eye Flys, Dog Island, and A History Of Bad Men are really great on Sugar Daddy

Dan_Halen

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on February 23, 2013, 02:16:25 PM
The performances of Boris, Eye Flys, Dog Island, and A History Of Bad Men are really great on Sugar Daddy

I agree, and may I also add "Civilized Worm" as well, love that live version on SD.
Los ticka toe rest

Bigval

I would just like to officially register how much I like Sugar Daddy Live.

black stallion

amazonAMAZON

I thought I posted this already, but I guess I didn't. I listened to the Sugar Daddy songs vs the studio recordings back to back.

Nude w/ Boots Drum and feedback as intro. Faster. Fiercer. More Buzz vocal.
Dog Island Condensed arrangement.
Dies Iraea No whistling or melodica or whatever that signature lead sound was. More guitar in the mix playing the lead.
Civilized Worm Feel of the intro changed slightly. More Buzz vocal. Second half of the song is more aggressive. Different drum outro/ending.
Kicking Machine All I can say is it feels funkier even though the arrangement sounds the same.
Eye Flys Awesome seven minute intro. Brotastic vocals.
Tipping the Lion Distorted bassline. More aggressive. New drum outro.
Rat Faced Granny Perhaps a bit faster?
The Hawk Drum solo slows down. More Buzz vocal.
You've Never Been Right No significant variation noticed.
A History of Bad Men Totally different outro. Gang vocals.
Boris Slower, longer, dynamic. Gang vocals on the last verse that go almost a cappella.

This exercise was very rewarding and I recommend it to any other fan. Big takeaways are really getting to hear more of Buzz's voice on these songs, faster, more aggressive performances, vocals are belted out instead of whispered, and many of the intro/outro/transitions are very cool. The few old songs are the only ones drastically different from the studio recordings.

))))((((

This must be one of the Melvins releases that gets overlooked or forgotten about the most! It's a great live document too. I wish they put out more live albums.

amazonAMAZON

Dang, re-listening. I miss this band.

The way they transitioned between parts of a song that might not share tempos, rhythms, or even musical key was so seamless. "Dog Island" and "Civilized Worm" are great examples.