Houdini

Started by cooter, October 12, 2003, 02:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Night Goat and Sky Pup are fucking great.
"There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the proportion."

- Lord Verulam

Dr. Gonzo

amazing album... i second the notion of it being better than stoner witch... every song except going blind and those last 2 noise tracks fucking kill!!!

f

oh come on. ya gotta love it, initial post-on-thread guy!  i'd call it the "quintessential" Melvins album.  Sooo potent.  Sooo heavy.  I can [/i]taste the blackness every time I listen.

klump

cant exactly say that GPT is a straight rock album...but you can say that Houdini was a big step in the right way with effects :) HAT is the best! :D LUUUV IT

Kurva

my dear american friend send me about 10 albs (10 songs, crybaby, bootlicker, stag, stoner w., hat, houdini, honky, prick, the maggot, king b ep)

to say the truth, i expected a bit more, but i liked it anyway

but i knew, the melvs are fuckin great, so i kept to listen to it, and houdini was the album which made me love the melvins

im not sure if i expressed my self as well, im just tryin to say, houdini was my fisrt melv album i was really into

then i started to love the maggot, then 10 songs, honky, bootlicker, prick, stag ....

my 3 fave albs (at the moment): 10 songs, honky, stag

Grindfag

Quote from: kurvathen i started to love prick

I didn't get there yet

Aemon

I think my fave houdini moment is in Honey Bucket when the song totally changes and it's just that palm-muted D chord. Fucking brilliant.

And Going Blind is the worst moment. They played that both times i saw them recently and it was the only dull moment of each show.

Swagger

I think Houdini is one of their weaker albums.That doesn't make it  bad by any stretch. I love the first six songs(Hooch, Night Goat, Honey Bucket, even Going Blind). Then it kind of falls apart. It seems to get more disjointed and thrown together as it progresses. And Set Me Straight is the WORST MELVINS SONG EVER!!!

I actually prefer Stoner Witch. So sue me.

GrimReaper

Quote from: SwaggerSet Me Straight is the WORST MELVINS SONG EVER!!!

Have you heard the version on 26 Songs? Give it a listen and you will change your mind.
Set Me Straight goes back to the beginning of the Melvins. Kurt Cobain recycled it for Houdini. Cobain's influence in the studio is evident on the Houdini version of Set Me Straight, and I agree it is one of the weaker songs on Houdini.

kl0pper

its one of their worst
the first half is pretty good, but the second is absolutely awful

TosT

It's one of my least favourites too. However, when comparing to most other music, it still kicks all holy ass. Great album, just not THEIR greatest. Stoner Witch has more flow and conistency while still having a lot of variety in the music. I love the noise and space out moments on SW too. That being said, Houdini still has several crushing tunes, the likes of which are to be found on no other album. Honey Bucket, Night Goat, Joan of Arc, Copache to name a few. rockin' album.

Joe Deutrom

Houdini was the first Melvins album I owned. It started my mad search for their other albums. I still like it. If I had to choose a "weak" Melvins album, it would have to be The Crybaby in that it is a guest album and not a true, all songs written by The Melvins release. However, I like The Crybaby but I like it least of all when I want to hear The MELVINS.

Kurva

Quote from: Grindfag
Quote from: kurvathen i started to love prick

I didn't get there yet

GOOD LUCK!

it's great for spacing out or background music

melvinsatemypoop

Quote from: Dr. Gonzoamazing album... i second the notion of it being better than stoner witch... every song except going blind and those last 2 noise tracks fucking kill!!!

theres noise tracks on houdini?

spread eagle beagle isnt noise, if you listen close its got quite a rhythm to it.

pottyfuck

i really like set me straight on houdini.... it takes you back waayy back to when melvins were more punk...... goin' blind is a great cover too.. cant see why people dislike it