Melvins/Fant

Started by Goldi, July 17, 2003, 10:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leroy

It would have been better if it was a longer CD, and had more Melvins tracks , which they cut off many from the disc.  I think overall it's a good CD, but Patton's yelling doesn't "fit" some of the Melvins songs.  Like Mombius Hibachi, the song is better hearing the riffs as is.  But it's pretty cool how some sound fx were added to Night Goat.  And the sound quality sounds good considering the circumstances. So overall, it's a good CD.

cooter

I don't listen to it much since it's mostly Fantomas songs. I stick with either 10 songs or Your Choice Live Series.

mantra

I think its an allright album.  Ive listened to it about 6 times since I bought it when it came out.

Anonymous

Patton shouldve just shut up on the Melvins songs. He's a knob and he can't sing anymore - thats why he hides behind a bunch of gear and pretends to play it

CausesUnknown

I like the CD. Patton's screaming kinda was annoying me too, but after listening to it a few times I kinda felt like screaming with him. Mainly on the fantomas songs. I think the screaming on The Bit wasn't working and he fucked up the song performance.

bloodofawig

I love Fantomas!!! Their first CD is especially brilliant. Though Director's Cut is an easier intro to the band.

The Big Band was awesome...LIVE. I was lucky enough to be there and I had a great time. Unfortunately, the CD covers only half the show. They opened with a super slow bass and drums-only version of Sacrifice that kicked my ass. Patton and Buzz shared vocals(Buzz on the lead) and it worked rather well. Why it isn't on the disc I don't know.

The CD was a bit of a dissapointment. The recording is "ok" and the choice of material included is questionable. The Bit and The Omen theme are particularly weak. They created a huge wall of sound that night and that is very difficult to capture off a soundboard recording.

I am a fan of Mike Patton and Fantomas but I would have to agree that some of his screaming on the Melvins tracks seems gratuitous and sort of gets in the way. Although, I do like the Fantomas-y yalping on Mombius Hibachi. It seems to fit the song well. I also liked the Patton vocals on Black Stooges.Both songs are great without them but Patton's work here seems to serve the songs and the concept of the Big Band. On the other hand, his screaming on The Bit seems like he felt he to had keep busy and "do something" so.... "Bwaaaaaarrrghh!!!!"

The show itself was a fucking blast and I hope they perform again in my neck of the woods. Even better I hope they one day write an album of new material for the Big Band incarnation. That would put a smile on me face as wide as all outside.

cranky messiah

i think that cd is absolutely dreadful. it's the only melvins-related cd i can't even sit through. it's just not interesting, and it's completely monotonous. i sold mine, which is something i never thought i would do to a melvins cd. it made me start to abhor mike patton.

Brad

The only thing Patton should be doing with the Melvins is
giving them money to put out more Melvins recordings.
End of story.

mayocule

The CD does sound like crap, but I thought the big band was pretty cool live.

The Wise Shotgun

Grindfag

I'd give it 1 if there was such an option

The complete set they played was great, but the cd Ipecrap put out is terrible

Reverend Ebeneezer

No sir, I don't like it. Much at any rate...
Don't cut me!DON'T CUT ME!
-Thrones, Simon Legree live...

The Wise Shotgun

Wow, I guess I'm alone on this.

anaconda

Hearing Patton scream his nonsense and gibberish
over top of the Melvins songs gets annoying fast.
He ruins Night Goat and Mombius Hibachi with his
"vocal" diahrrea as well as most of the others.

The Fantomas songs are heavy and ok but his 'schtick'
gets tiring fast. It's a 6 out of 10 I guess. No higher though.

melvin

i gave it a 9 i thought it was good