(the) Melvins - Tarantula Heart

Started by rimb, February 06, 2024, 04:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black stallion

so many different opinions on this album, make me even more curious to discover it!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on April 21, 2024, 08:47:41 AMso many different opinions on this album, make me even more curious to discover it!
You haven't listened to it yet!!!??? I am eager to hear your (and others) thoughts.

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on April 21, 2024, 08:48:16 AM
Quote from: black stallion on April 21, 2024, 08:47:41 AMso many different opinions on this album, make me even more curious to discover it!
You haven't listened to it yet!!!??? I am eager to hear your (and others) thoughts.

nope Ian, waiting for my copy to arrive before checking the other songs i haven't heard yet. should arrive in two weeks apparently  #-o

Helen83

I think it's the coolest thing they've done in a long time.

black stallion

Quote from: Helen83 on April 21, 2024, 09:17:34 AM

I think it's the coolest thing they've done in a long time.

:o

sHaViNgCrEaM

New guy here.  Listened to the new album yesterday and I really enjoyed it.  I've been a "casual" Melvins fan for a long time but have decided to take a deep plunge into their catalog. :buzz:

vince furnier

Quote from: sHaViNgCrEaM on April 21, 2024, 12:27:46 PMNew guy here.  Listened to the new album yesterday and I really enjoyed it.  I've been a "casual" Melvins fan for a long time but have decided to take a deep plunge into their catalog. :buzz:
SWEET!  =D>
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

Colonel Cheese

Tarantula Heart - Melvins Deliver Again

After two listens my thoughts are coming clearer and the album is great, big, and lovely. I'm not sure what I was slightly trepidatious about before anymore. You've just got to trust them because this feels to me like yet another important interesting release. Most of these points are not new here round these parts. The songs are good, adventurous and new sounding. I felt like I did when I heard Hostile Ambient Takeover for the first time with its new sounds way back when that came out. Like we are definitely for sure treading awesome new ground here. I'm loving the format of absolutely epic first half length songs followed by more badassery on the b-side. The packaging and artwork is also deluxe and/or beefed up from current normal releases and again as it's been said it works so well. All the images and the booklet almost like a panegyric of the little girl. This goes for the lp and the cd (the cd has i think one image that the vinyl doesn't.) And you really have to give it to Buzz I guess for crafting all these EPs and LPs. He really has a knack for it because these songs flow man, perfectly. Plenty of rocking variety. I can't wait to listen to it again.

extra thoughts - i also liked my "Silver" vinyl its really bright and like white silver, i like it!
              - i've liked most of their output generally over the years
              - i listened to it once on vinyl, once on cd, and heard most of it on the bandcamp listening party as well
              - had another thought but my kid interrupted me and i still haven't remembered what it was

Colonel Cheese

of course the moment i posted that i remembered my other thought.
clutch used to have their website as www.pro-rock.com
I always thought they were one of the only bands that really could say that and properly deserve the title.
I think our boys have got them beat and maybe deserve the title more.

(the) Razor

After a bit of a hiatus on this band, I'm keen to check out what they've been doing on this record. Never really got my interest, the diretion they werre heading since a while now
Don't click this

John Schuller

I gave it a full listen at high volume today. I love this album. With Bad Mood Rising and Tarantula Heart, I feel like the Melvins are on a winning streak. It is very psychedelic and weird.

blacksanta

There was a semi-negative review that made a point that I agree with: for all of the talk of how unusual the making of this album was, the end result is less avant-garde and more repetitive riffage, with the weirdness factor being a layer of noise over everything. That being said, the repetitive riffage here is quite good. I think Bad Mood Rising is a better album because it is a lot more diverse in dynamics and timbre, but this is a great mean psychedelic sludge album. Mackie's art is phenomenal, might be my favorite package since I don't know when.

My favorite part is the first quarter of Pain Equals Funny. Buzzo does not get enough credit for gorgeous melodies (see Hospital Up amongst others).
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

))))((((

My ranking of the songs, best to worst.

1. Working The Ditch
2. Pain Equals Funny
3. Smiler
4. Allergic To Food
5. She's Got Weird Arms

Also in Pain Equals Funny when Buzz sings "call him Mr Jones" does anyone else think of Tool's Adam Jones or is it just me?