Bad Mood Rising

Started by CoryCory, July 28, 2022, 07:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 15, 2022, 12:17:24 PM
Reading the glowing praise i do feel slightly at odds with it. I feel like my initial feeling towards the album was perhaps slightly (ever so slightly) too positive. I think the first three songs are fine but after that i do perceive a step down. I love the rocking opening of 'It Won't Or It Might' but then feel a bit out of sorts about the "emotional" rest of the track. It's a good song of course and classily composed but just not something i love to hear really. 'Hammering' again is decent but the more i hear it the more it feels very throwaway. Nothing that would blow me away. Same goes for 'Receiver...'.

I can see where you're coming from. The songs do have that generic aftertaste (generic for Melvins standards) of recent releases that sort of blurs together, making for less standout moments, snaking riffs and emotional curveballs. Some parts feel tacked on but I'm expecting this one to grow on me (that said, recent releases have left my rotation shortly after the initial release which I hope doesn't happen again here).

Then again, imagine sitting on four decades worth of tunes and having to come up with something fresh. The novelty is in the delivery these days and it's cool that they're stretching out vocally (though I'm biased towards the BB era as Jared perfectly compliments Buzz's register).

edit: and though I love the guy to bits, it's high time to work with someone other than Toshi.

Colonel Cheese

Quote from: black stallion on September 15, 2022, 02:08:53 PM
if Crover is not drumming i don't consider it as a proper Melvins album  [-(

Not sure if i agree but I do love me some Dale on bass!

blacksanta

So....will this get a plain old wide-release CD? Yes? No? Don't know?
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: blacksanta on September 15, 2022, 05:42:28 PM

Doubt it, at least the old standard way of making CDs. I think the band, much like Haze, would rather make up a bunch and sell them direct than get a dist. deal and worry about continually moving inventory/product through retail outlets. I would be surprised if 5 yrs  from now they're putting out any new music through Ipecac.

Bigval

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 15, 2022, 12:17:24 PM
Reading the glowing praise i do feel slightly at odds with it. I feel like my initial feeling towards the album was perhaps slightly (ever so slightly) too positive. I think the first three songs are fine but after that i do perceive a step down.

That's what I thought too, the first half of the album is quite good but the second half falls away a fair bit. There was one song in particular in the first half that to me sounded like it could've been on HAT I was loving it but the second half of the album my interest started to wane, that stuff is more like recent album filler stuff complete with excruciating guitar tone from Buzz. Definitely an album of two halves for me.

Bigval

Quote from: blacksanta on September 15, 2022, 05:42:28 PM

Yes, they already announced that the album will get a proper mainstream release in future.

the bloat

I've had this on heavy rotation all day today and since I only have access to one long YouTube track, it's sort of taken on a different meaning for me. I just keep replaying it over and over. It's like Lysol, one track bleeding into the next.

It has some really great bits mixed in there that stick in my head. Some of them take me back to the Stag era. I actually prefer the second half to the first. I also think Dylan Carlson's guitar work is welcome on the first track. It's front and center and helps shape the song in unique ways.

I really like these songs. Cant wait for my vinyl to show up

the bloat

Also, it looks like the factory edition is no longer available at Shoxop. Not sold out... just missing. Hope all is ok

black stallion

Quote from: Colonel Cheese on September 15, 2022, 05:09:44 PM
Quote from: black stallion on September 15, 2022, 02:08:53 PM
if Crover is not drumming i don't consider it as a proper Melvins album  [-(

Not sure if i agree but I do love me some Dale on bass!

yeah,the Melvins 1983 albums are both great
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

black stallion

I think i will order this from Rough Trade, has anyone had any experience with them shipping to Europe, is it ok? Should be around 40 dollars including shipping costs

jules

Quote from: black stallion on September 16, 2022, 01:16:48 AM
I think i will order this from Rough Trade, has anyone had any experience with them shipping to Europe, is it ok? Should be around 40 dollars including shipping costs
I've never had issues with them. It's listed on amazon.co.uk (as bad moon rising) so may be worth waiting a bit longer?

I don't know about Rough Trade shipping *to* Europe, but I've ordered from them to the Us, and while their customer service initially seemed to be tripping over themselves via e-mails the last time I dealt with them, it worked out fine in the end. I'd still rather order from them than Amazon, though, just to *not* put any more money in Amazon's over-stuffed pockets. Even by the standards of corporate pigs, Amazon is pretty disgusting.

• • • •

Quote from: jules on September 16, 2022, 07:09:06 AM
I've never had issues with them. It's listed on amazon.co.uk (as bad moon rising) so may be worth waiting a bit longer?

Colonel Cheese

Quote from: the bloat on September 15, 2022, 09:31:47 PM
Also, it looks like the factory edition is no longer available at Shoxop. Not sold out... just missing. Hope all is ok

i ordered a splatter factory on tuesday. Normally by now i would've already gotten a shipping confirmation but as of yet have not. I'll update the info in case it helps anyone on here.

Just adding to this - same here, basically.
The last couple Shoxop purchases arrived in about two days, but this time I also haven't seen a notification yet.
I'm not super-concerned, given that they're generally pretty on top of things, and with a few of these releases back to back, I can see where they might be just a tad backed up. We'll see how it goes, I reckon.

• • • •

Quote from: Colonel Cheese on September 16, 2022, 07:50:08 AM
Quote from: the bloat on September 15, 2022, 09:31:47 PM

i ordered a splatter factory on tuesday. Normally by now i would've already gotten a shipping confirmation but as of yet have not. I'll update the info in case it helps anyone on here.

black stallion

Quote from: jules on September 16, 2022, 07:09:06 AM

thanks Giulio!