The Melvins in 2021...?

Started by johnnyg, January 16, 2021, 10:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyg

As history has shown, the Melvins have toured in the summer and recorded in the winter. (and according to recent Dale interviews, Summer 2020 appears to have been intended to be something of a light year with Buzz doing his solo thing, and Dale doing his solo thing AND Redd Kross supporting their excellent last album).

Of course, NONE of that happened. Were the Melvins be frantically recording all of 2020? What does that mean for 2021, particularly with live shows not slated to begin until Fall 2021?

What do we know is coming out? (Melvins 1983 is confirmed, and I believe it was Dale who alluded to ANOTHER Melvins LP already done). Does anybody have any inside info or just plain rumours?

And what you LIKE to see come out?

))))((((

I wonder a lot about all this too. Like you say, im sure 2020 would have been a quiet year Melvins wise under normal circumstances. 'Working With God' probably would have come out last year sometime in Autumn without a tour behind it since Dillard doesn't really tour. Maybe they would have done a small set of shows towards the end of the year. However like you say predominantly it would have been both Buzz and Dale touring their solo records and Dale with Redd Kross too. I suspect the following 2021 would have then been a focused Melvins year - a big tour, another new Melvins album perhaps in the Summer. Unfortunately now we will never know.

As for what 2021 WILL now bring i think it's quite uncertain. I don't see any gigs in the pipeline until perhaps the end of the year. So maybe that is out. Obviously the band will still do their Melvins TV things and release new (and old) vinyl and other bundle merchandise. So we have all that to look forward to. Maybe Buzz will put out his photography book he has mentioned recently too.

As for proper albums, again i think that is a little unclear. Buzz said he has a big Melvins project underway that they are working on. He said it would probably be about 4 albums in length when completed but he said he didn't want to tell what it was until it was finished. I suspect that is clearly the "history of rock and roll" idea that Steve mentioned in an interview that Buzz had asked him and his brother to appear on. So perhaps that (or some of it) could appear this year. There's also the old Melvins and Void Manes "Throbbing Gristle sessions" collaboration record that those guys worked on quite some years ago now. That has been often rumoured for release and yet (so far) has never seen the light. Personally i think it would be the perfect time this year to release that since there is no tour to support it.

So yes, i'd like to see both of those things get out to the public in 2021. Whether they will..... well, who knows. But i think i would be slightly surprised if 'Working With God' is the only Ipecac Melvins release we get this year. Especially if they do have all this material recorded. If we are talking dream releases though - i'd like to see some more Melvins Lite or even another album with Kevin. Hell, maybe even a Dunn on double bass WITH Kevin on bass album! Any of those would be awesome to anticipate!

))))((((

Buzz said that a collaboration EP with Helms Alee will come out at some point this year.

johnnyg

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 22, 2021, 07:14:06 PM
Buzz said that a collaboration EP with Helms Alee will come out at some point this year.

AWESOME

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

the bloat

I think it's fun to speculate about what's on the horizon, but let's be thankful that they JUST released an album last week... and it's fucking solid. Most fans have to wait for years between new recordings. We're blessened

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on March 05, 2021, 10:25:47 PM
I think it's fun to speculate about what's on the horizon, but let's be thankful that they JUST released an album last week... and it's fucking solid. Most fans have to wait for years between new recordings. We're blessened
All true. Im just naturally one of those people that as soon as we have had something new, i want to hear about the next thing!!!

CoryCory

HAZE just announced a new EP featuring a 12-minute acoustic cover of Halo of Flies

))))((((

Quote from: CoryCory on March 06, 2021, 08:12:54 AM
HAZE just announced a new EP featuring a 12-minute acoustic cover of Halo of Flies
Slithering Slaughter. This should be intriguing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMFFWSpJvOX/

amazonAMAZON

That's amazing. I was just thinking I would love to have a version of Halo with Buzz vocals, but just replacing Jello seems a bit of a snub. Doing this in a full band acoustic format sounds incredible.

))))((((

Did you folks see this interview?

https://sonicbreadcrumbs.substack.com/p/buzz-osbourne-interview-soundgarden-melvins?

News like this still has me excited!
"We have another big project that I can't tell you exactly what it is just yet," he said. "It will come out at some point. But a big, huge thing. And I'm working on stuff for a new record."

moose

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 12, 2021, 08:18:09 PM
Did you folks see this interview?

https://sonicbreadcrumbs.substack.com/p/buzz-osbourne-interview-soundgarden-melvins?

News like this still has me excited!
"We have another big project that I can't tell you exactly what it is just yet," he said. "It will come out at some point. But a big, huge thing. And I'm working on stuff for a new record."

Quotes like this lead me back to thinking about the "history of music" thing that Buzz has mentioned.
All of the cover songs over the last year make me wonder if there is a connection. But if it's "big" and Melvins, I'm stoked.
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

))))((((

Quote from: moose on March 13, 2021, 07:47:28 AM
All of the cover songs over the last year make me wonder if there is a connection. But if it's "big" and Melvins, I'm stoked.
I keep thinking that also. Like maybe they tie into it, or a song off each will feature.

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus