Started by unclelube, April 13, 2016, 11:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

Quote from: black stallion on August 18, 2017, 11:51:49 AM
Quote from: meezer on August 18, 2017, 10:58:37 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on August 18, 2017, 08:38:15 AM
Quote from: black stallion on August 18, 2017, 07:06:44 AM
i guess it's Dale singing
I always thought it was pretty clearly Dale on singing duties on that song.

Quote from: meezer on August 18, 2017, 08:26:14 AM
It's the most peculiar Big Melvins track ever.
Yes, i agree it is! Not one of my favourites it has to be said. In fact i'd possibly say it's my least liked BB Melvins track. Possibly. Not that it's bad as such of course.
I do love the song. I told a group on Facebook that the way I was feeling right now, I'd take Choco Plumbing on a loop for 40 minutes over (A)SA in its entirety (fight me!)  :P

i'll start fighting you meez!  :P
:lol:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Fureon Nectarmoon

Not sure in which thread to post this, but I want to talk about a controversial topic that is the jocular Melvins 1983 "traditional songs".
Two on this record and three on Tres Cabrones, you know which ones I'm talking about.
I think some time ago I saw some people slamming them pretty agressively and I didn't have the time to put in my 2 cents.
Just wanna say what I personally think on the matter.

Personally I love the idea.
I don't have a problem with the concept at all, but I easily admit, some of it was either of questionable humor quality or frankly half-assed.

You're In The Army Now was hilarious.
No further comment on that.

99 Bottles Of Beer I like as well.
That BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER section was a really fun addition.
But my gripe is they kinda missed the point, alas.
It's supposed to be a long, loooong loop, an almost never-ending song.
If they actually went through with it and sung it all the way through from 99 to 0, that would have been a hilarious feat.
Heck, I wouldn't even mind it if they just looped it digitally and overdubbed the numbers.
That wouldn't have been as amazing of a feat as the first option, but still a hilarious joke.
It had the potential to be of one of the band's biggest jokes on listeners on the same scale as Shit Sandwich, but it ended up as just a funny song.

Tie My Pecker To A Tree is okay though somewhat less funny as the previous two.
I like the "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllll" getting longer and longer before every verse though.

Shaving Cream I have the biggest problem with, first of all because their aversion of the subversion of the original made it unfunny.
Second it's a bad lazy arrangement & it just doesn't sound good.
I actually find the "hidden track" part of the song funnier. Hey daddy, hey daddy...

Take Me Out To The Ball Game is also a lazy empty arrangement.
Other than the chiptune part by Toshi and vocals, it's worthless.
And worst of all, they didn't sing the whole song. Come on!
It's a great classic song to sing and cover, but please, do it properly...

So yeah, that's my take on the funny 'traditional' songs.
They were executed half-heartedly but I defend the idea.
I just wish they played those with a full deck.

))))((((

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on April 21, 2018, 05:50:59 PM
Take Me Out To The Ball Game
And worst of all, they didn't sing the whole song. Come on!
Never knew that! But then not being American or a Baseball fan i had never heard the song before Melvins covered it.

amazonAMAZON

My head's been stuck on this Kris Novoselic song for a couple days. I never thought I'd say I'd like to hear more accordion in the Melvins catalog, but here I am.

Fureon Nectarmoon

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on June 28, 2018, 10:13:05 AM
My head's been stuck on this Kris Novoselic song for a couple days. I never thought I'd say I'd like to hear more accordion in the Melvins catalog, but here I am.
Yes. I loved it in The Bunk Up as well. They should invite Weird Al.

))))((((

Does anyone here remember - or know why - the blue cover art for the album that was originally shown on websites when it was first announced was changed to purple when it was released?

amazonAMAZON

Idunno. The baby blue is ridiculously ugly. But they both have that same nutsack nose, so whatever.

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

coodies

I'm pretty easy going with what the Melvins want to put on their albums, but Shaving Cream & Take Me Out To The Ballgame aren't very good. Not much redeemable qualities.  :arrow:

))))((((

Quote from: coodies on May 04, 2021, 04:09:04 PM
I'm pretty easy going with what the Melvins want to put on their albums, but Shaving Cream & Take Me Out To The Ballgame aren't very good. Not much redeemable qualities.
Indeed. I can hack, 'Take Me Out...' to some extent. For as naff as it is, it works in a certain sense of it being a closing track. But 'Shaving Cream' is a big NO in my book. Things like that are why i get nervous each time there is a new 1983 album or song on the horizon. I just know they are going to indulge in their penchant for cringe inducing "comedy" tunes.

CoryCory

This album as a whole doesn't hold up as well as I remember but I feel the same way about it as TBSM. The good songs are really good and the mediocre is really mediocre.

I still like the following songs:

The Decay of Lying
Choco Plumbing
Beer Hippie
Captain Comedown
War Pussy
Planet Destructo
Shaving Cream (For how silly it is)
Take Me Out To The Ball Game (For how American it is)

amazonAMAZON

"Take Me Out" also fits the theme of the record title at least. It's a fitting closer, despite its novelty tuneness.

"Shaving Cream" is all about Dale's little growling bass until the "Hey daddy" tag which I love thoroughly.

amazonAMAZON

amazonAMAZON

Hideous Woman is one of the fiercest songs they've done with Steven and I really like the riffs. Some of the lyrics and vocals make me cringe still.