Pinkus Abortion Technician

Started by coodies, November 18, 2019, 12:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigval

Fuckin love PAT and although I already had it bought it on CD last week too.

coodies

Bigval

Quote from: coodies on December 30, 2019, 06:47:02 PM
Break Bread B*tch!  :P

Lovin' it. Conservatively I would estimate I've probably listened to PAT like a thousand times by now every two weeks on the train rides to my mother's place I play the album twice in a row.

HAT will always hold a special place in my heart and deep down I know it's the Melvins best album but damn PAT is coming up on it's heels for me. PAT is pure art rock genius. It's a very special thing when a band can evolve to such a degree over time that they sound nothing like the same band from their pre-Atlantic material or the Atlantic years themselves or even the early Ipecac years.

coodies

[/quote]
It's a very special thing when a band can evolve to such a degree over time that they sound nothing like the same band from their pre-Atlantic material or the Atlantic years themselves or even the early Ipecac years.
[/quote]

That's why we love them! Let them do the driving.  :love:

CoryCory

PAT is easily one of the better albums the Melvins dropped in this last decade. It's weird and all over the place but definitely has a flow and a method to it's madness.

))))((((

I would like to know how much Steven McDonald is on this record. Obviously he is listed as featuring on here and it's considered a double bass album. However i remember hearing an interview with Steve where he said that he went away for a about a month and when he came back the band had pretty much done this whole album with Jeff. He did mention that 'Embrace The Rub' was originally an OFF! song that he contributed. So there is at least that. But the rest of the stuff makes me think he might not be on this one very much. After all, around this time they had performed Stop Moving To Florida, I Want To Hold Your Hand and Graveyard all with Jeff. Plus three of the songs are written by him too. What do you guys think? Do you detect much Steve presence in the actual songs?

amazonAMAZON

If you hear House of Strombo I think the whole record is basically like that. Only exceptions might be "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "Embrace the Rub" which may be all Steven. Its been a while since I heard it. But I'm pretty damn sure "Stop Moving," "Graveyard," "Prenup," "Don't Forget," "Break Bread," and "Flamboyant" are all pretty easy to hear a second bass. Its either a loose, boomy, rumbly muddy bottom end or it's a bass playing solo on top. Stevens solo style is very fingery with a lot of notes jammed together like a sloppy imitation of shredder kids trying to impress at Guitar Center. He also uses a lot of squelchy flange effects.

))))((((

I had a listen to the album last night, i think you are probably right - Steven is on at least those two songs. Im not very good when it comes to spotting bass on songs, but i think he is quite clearly on The Beatles cover and Embrace The Rub.

linoleum blownapart

Florida has no guitar just the two bases.  Steven claimed he heard the song before, but just followed Pinkus.  Besides embrace the rub, I think Steven was just embellishments.  While the 3 were recording P.A.T., Steven was doing all of his Walk and Death parts that was already done, but he had to finish.  From what I heard around the time it was "in the can".  But that was a pretty foggy day at Pinkus'.
thrower of the bong water balloons

))))((((

Quote from: linoleum blownapart on August 17, 2021, 12:08:05 PM
Florida has no guitar just the two bases.  Steven claimed he heard the song before, but just followed Pinkus.  Besides embrace the rub, I think Steven was just embellishments.  While the 3 were recording P.A.T., Steven was doing all of his Walk and Death parts that was already done, but he had to finish.  From what I heard around the time it was "in the can".  But that was a pretty foggy day at Pinkus'.
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting. I'd love to see how they all work together and how one of their records gets made. Im always enthralled by that process.

))))((((

I've always thought Dale was the one who sung Embrace The Rub. That's correct right?? It's not Steven is it? I'm not fully sure now.

amazonAMAZON

Embrace the Rub is definitely Steven. Dale never has that hoarseness

Bigval

I would just like to officially register PAT is the shit!

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on October 07, 2022, 10:55:22 PM
Embrace the Rub is definitely Steven. Dale never has that hoarseness
One of the things that made me doubt is that the song was written by Steven. Plus he said it was originally one for Off!. I sitll think it sounds a lot like Dale, but i can see the Steven in it too. I'd love to know for absolutely certain.

Quote from: Bigval on October 08, 2022, 04:30:08 AM
I would just like to officially register PAT is the shit!
I like it more than i did however i find it quite patchy even though i do really enjoy it. As with many Melvins releases it is it's own little curio piece. An album with virtually no Buzz contribution writing wise. It feels a bit more free and like a longer EP to me than an album.