AmRep $5 Cheapo CD series

Started by the bloat, November 05, 2021, 11:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the bloat

So, we're now up to 13 of these releases. Does anyone know how many of these CDs are in existence? Are these runs of 3,000? More? Less? Trying to go back and find the Flipper release is really tough now. Can we assume some of these are out of print? Also, the best one is the Mudhoney Collab... or maybe the one with Trevor Dunn...

amazonAMAZON

Sabbath is still my fave start to finish.

The other collabs all hold up, though. Can't help feeling this is leading up to something.

jules

Quote from: the bloat on November 05, 2021, 11:28:46 PM
So, we're now up to 13 of these releases. Does anyone know how many of these CDs are in existence? Are these runs of 3,000? More? Less? Trying to go back and find the Flipper release is really tough now. Can we assume some of these are out of print? Also, the best one is the Mudhoney Collab... or maybe the one with Trevor Dunn...
HAZE said initial runs of these are 1000.  *still available

AMREP 25th Anniversary Non Collector Scum *
Melvins 1983 (5 different sleeves)
BASH-13 *
BASH-17
Pinkus Abortion
Sabbath *
Prick Reissue
Honky Reissue
Melvins/Le Butcherettes
Melvins/Flipper
Melvins/Shitkid
Escape From L.A.
Six Pack
Alive at the Fucker Club Reissue *
Electroretard Reissue
Melvins/Mudhoney
Hostile Ambient Besides *
Mullet *
Slithering Slaughter *
Live Stream 1-3 *

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on November 06, 2021, 12:11:19 AM
Can't help feeling this is leading up to something.
I hope so. These releases are basically the only ones of recent years that haven't featured on an Ipecac full length at a later point.

coodies

"Drive back" the Neil Young cover from the Melvins/Mudhoney EP sounds like it would fit well on Pinkus Abortion Technician. Similar vibe.

amazonAMAZON

I really dig the new Helms Alee collab EP. This one, more than any other from this "series" feels like a canonical stand-alone release. The version of "At the Stake" is different enough that I don't feel like it's cannibalizing Stoner Witch. The two(?) covers are great. I like that all three Helms voices are well represented along with Buzz's. Maybe it's just that the Helms Alee folks are adept at all the styles that make Melvins great, but this feels more collaborative than every other EP since Sabbath.

CoryCory

As far as the collab EPs go the best ones of the lot are easily The Mudhoney and Helms Alee ones.

The two-song thing with Cisneros is alright. The ones with Flipper and Shitkid are trash.

the bloat

Quote from: CoryCory on September 06, 2023, 12:07:31 PM
As far as the collab EPs go the best ones of the lot are easily The Mudhoney and Helms Alee ones.

The two-song thing with Cisneros is alright. The ones with Flipper and Shitkid are trash.

I think the King Dunn EP qualifies here and should be considered. I didn't think the Flipper EP was shit. Good not great...

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on September 08, 2023, 05:12:36 PM
I didn't think the Flipper EP was shit. Good not great...
I think to varying degrees, they've all been relatively good. None have struck me as bad or ones that shouldn't have been put out. I suppose in some ways i am more forgiving when it comes to EP's than i would be an album though.

PepsiMike

Quote from: the bloat on September 08, 2023, 05:12:36 PM
Quote from: CoryCory on September 06, 2023, 12:07:31 PM

I think the King Dunn EP qualifies here and should be considered. I didn't think the Flipper EP was shit. Good not great...
What did you think of the shitkid split?

the bloat

QuoteWhat did you think of the shitkid split?

To me, this release is kinda Melvins "paint by numbers" musically. A bit like the Biafra releases where Melvins play the backing band. Meat and potatoes upbeat rock with nothing unexpected or interesting. The Pretenders cover is cool...

amazonAMAZON

Listened to Controlling Data EP again on the drive home. While the songs are great, the recording/mix/master are distractingly bad. The snare never cracks. Nothing sits together. And it's typical of most of these recent releases (Bad Mood and Throbbing Jazz are some exceptions.) I really hope there's a change on the next rock record.

black stallion

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on November 17, 2023, 01:56:59 AM
the recording/mix/master are distractingly bad. The snare never cracks. Nothing sits together. And it's typical of most of these recent releases (Bad Mood and Throbbing Jazz are some exceptions.) I really hope there's a change on the next rock record.

Melvins recordings of recent years sound as demos
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

the bloat

Listening to the Sabbath EP. Good lord, these are my favorite covers of all of them. This is so in Melvins wheelhouse (except for the lead parts). I've always thought of Melvins smack in between Black Sabbath and My War era Black Flag. Was fun to hear them cover My War with Mudhoney. It was spot on. I'd like to hear Melvins do an interpretation of Vol 4 front to back. Or maybe Loose Nut...