9 (34.6%)
it's ok
12 (46.2%)
it sucks balls
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: September 02, 2005, 11:57:43 AM

Leroy

I think that the material on Ozma is some of my favorite Melvins stuff, but yeah the production is pretty flat.  But I like the cd so much that it doesn't matter too much to me.

The thing is, it would have really brought out the heaviness of the guitars if they had a thicker sound!  And a lot of times on the album, the vocals tend to get "lost", like in "Green Honey".  It would be nice if they remastered it, like GPT.  I'm not sure how much better they can get it to sound, though, considering the source probably doesn't have the potential to sound that great.

But on the plus side, even though it sounds pretty thin and quiet, at least it's pretty clean.  Metallica's St. Anger is a big mess, with the drums drowning everything out.

turnacuss

I was always a huge fan of the ozma album, I never had a problem with the production. In fact, the production has that mechanical cold feel to it. I just enjoy it.

Its probably my favorite album by them. Its jsut wall to wall riffery, seperated by the two covers in it.

Its better than gluey, and I like the production better to. Gluey is too loose sounding.

Bullhead's production sucks away from my enjoyment of the album

zium

speaking of reproductions. they should record some old stuff and put it out on an album. like blessing the operation. that song kicks bottom. maybe bang my head and the fast version of ever since my accident. Snake appeal would be nice too. combine it with the sound from bullhead or eggnog and you've got another excellent melvins album :) oh and i forgot now a limo and grinding process

Leroy

True.  I guess it's a preference of production.   I don't really mind that it's got that cold sound to it, since the music is so good.  I think that the Melvins were going for that type of mechanical cold feel.  I think I read somewhere that Buzz mentioned that was the sound they were going for.  

Quote from: turnacussI was always a huge fan of the ozma album, I never had a problem with the production. In fact, the production has that mechanical cold feel to it. I just enjoy it.

Its probably my favorite album by them. Its jsut wall to wall riffery, seperated by the two covers in it.

Its better than gluey, and I like the production better to. Gluey is too loose sounding.

Bullhead's production sucks away from my enjoyment of the album

The Chalupa

you're right, the guitars are thin and the mix doesn't have any punch

melvins pooped on my head

pffft! production, who needs production... haha, well everyone needs production but yes, i think  ozma kicks ass but lori's bass could have been alot better but i liked buzz's guitar too.
but a better production would have been nice....

gluey porch treatments rules fucking ass, and the fact it was done on a two track makes it even better because it gives it that punk quality to it that they grew up listening to.

turnacus

There is alot of old material the melvins could refine. That would be an interesting project to do.
Van Hagar

turnacus

Thats why their live shows are great, because it brings the life into alot of their old stuff. Anaconda I didn't get until i saw it live.
Van Hagar

klump

get a better stereo! :P

f

i didn't know this thread existed, i was just complaing about it on another thread.  how convenient.  yeah, i don't like ozma, the songs sound like GPT rejects, i never listen to it.

yeknod ykoops

Quote from: LeroyTrue.  I guess it's a preference of production.   I don't really mind that it's got that cold sound to it, since the music is so good.  I think that the Melvins were going for that type of mechanical cold feel.  I think I read somewhere that Buzz mentioned that was the sound they were going for.

that's interesting, because i always thought that weird sound at the beginning of Vile sounded like a machine starting up. *shrugs*

Vcavallo

i can't believe people can say they hate ozma...shit.  listen to the songs damnit, ozma is damn good.
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

anaconda

Ozma has some of Lori's best bass playing ever!! next to Bullhead.

TosT

The production is just ok, but Ozma's one of my favourites still, dark and moody

Leroy

Yes.  The songs couldn't possibly be GPT rejects.  Everything on Ozma is a lot more complex, and it's riff after riff, while still having a long lasting appeal.  It's a different style than GPT, it's just not that apparent by hearing it the first time.  It's still one of my favorite Melvins albums.  Even though the songs have to grow on you, those songs last.