Live At Slims (The 8-Track)

Started by Captain CoryCory, March 15, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster D

I remember the Captain pungents Melvins shack used to have a couple MP3's from this tape, It sounded like a cool show.

Haven't heard it in years. Brings me back!!! I love being a Melvins fanatic.

Thanks PepsiMike!!!  :love:

the bloat

Thanks PepsiMike! Always wanted to hear this one  8)

))))((((

The sounds not super crisp but it's good enough. What an opener Manky is. Quite possibly the greatest Melvins song ever!

Dumpster D

Quote from: ))))(((( on January 14, 2024, 04:18:47 PM
The sounds not super crisp but it's good enough.

That's basically how 8-tracks are supposed to sound, The bottom end is MASSIVE on an 8-track, although you won't get that with a digitized version from the tape.

amazonAMAZON

The bottom end is massive because the top end is gone. Not like I know what I'm talking about.

Curious, though, are there any 8-tracksyhat are sought after for their sound? Surely there must be ONE record from the late 70s with a botched vinyl mix/master but an iconic 8-track mix?

Dumpster D

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on January 15, 2024, 01:02:29 AM
The bottom end is massive because the top end is gone. Not like I know what I'm talking about.

Curious, though, are there any 8-tracksyhat are sought after for their sound? Surely there must be ONE record from the late 70s with a botched vinyl mix/master but an iconic 8-track mix?

The high end was there, it was just a little more fragile than Vinyl and when the tape got worn the high end was more noticeably degraded because high frequency has a narrow waveform more than the lows. The 8-track tape could capture Low end more closely from the master tape reels than on a Vinyl so they had a Massive bottom end unlike anything on LP.

That, and no one ever cleaned their Tape heads and transports.  :x

As for 'alternate' versions...

There's some 8-track like Pink floyd animals for one. It's got a different Track featuring 'Snowy White' who appeared because he happened to be in the same studio at the time, down the hall.

You can look it up, there's a bunch of 8-tracks that had an extra or different version of tracks than what was put on the LP version.

Another thing is if your band wasn't as successful you could manage to get your album put out on 8-track tapes relatively cheaper than LP, so there's a lot of obscure rare shit on 8-track you'd be hard pressed to find on Vinyl (no pun intended)