Everybody Loves Sausages

Started by black stallion, February 08, 2013, 12:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

First off, they could do two of these a year, & I would buy them. Why trust radio program directors, apple commercials or anyone else to tell you what songs to listen to, when you've got the Melvins handling those duties so perfectly. Going in, the only songs I knew were "Station To Station", "Best Friend"and & "Black Betty". I'm a huge Bowie fan, I have all of his stuff. I don't get the fascination with the Brian Eno trilogy. Ziggy Stardust, Station, Hunky Dory are all so great, why do you need a producer who will come in and change all that? I was really looking forward to Jared singing Station, but JG Thirwell nails it. Buzz on guitar and bass and Toshi on keys it sounds amazing! Other favorites are "Carpe Diem", which sounds like a mashup of Spinal Tap's "Flower Children" & AC-DC's "Hells Bells" and "Female Toubles", which showcases Buzz's voice as a very powerful instrument itself pitted against Crover's drums & Dunn's stand-up bass. The other one that grew on me was "Attitude" by the Kinks. Three drummers. This could be the next Melvins line up (watch yhe youtube clip of Clem Burke, from Blondie, recording his drum solo on this track-Badass!). I'm not too familiar with Venom, But I think "Warhead" is the perfect opener on this disc, and I've checked out some Neurosis / Scott Kelly acoustic stuff on youtube-it's pretty good. Overall, I love everything on this album.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

black stallion

yeah,Romance is a killer cover!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 20, 2015, 06:27:16 AM
I mostly hate this album. Some cool tunes and loads of songs i dislike. Probably my least favourite Melvins release. Anyway having thought about it, i decided to think about all those covers they recorded around the same time or have performed live and compile what i wish the album did look like.

1. Warhead
2. Mr DNA
3. Breaking Glass
4. Set It On Fire
5. Graveyard
6. Attitude
7. In League With Satan
8. Alleged
9. Bacon Industry
10. In Every Dream Home A Heartache
11. Romance
12. Pinhead
13. Heathen Earth
Hmm... I don't think I've heard some of those.
I think they should release one or two of these a year.
I love it. Is it perfect? No, but I love their selections and interpretations of other artists material.

My wish list;
Agent Orange - Breakdown
Led Zep - Sick Again
Reverend Horton Heat - The Devil's Chasing Me
Television - Elevation
Kraftwerk - Electric Cafe
Duran Duran - Hold Back The Rain
Front 242 - Don't Crash
Brainiac - Mr Fingers
Ministry - Golden Dawn
Soundgarden - He Didn't
Killing Joke - The Hum
Jesus And Mary Chain - Fall
Lush - Downer
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

amazonAMAZON

So I just read through all 36 pages of this thread. It seems like the concensus is as follows:

"Station to Station" and "Dream Home," the epics, are at the top of everyone's list, with "Female Trouble" and "Romance" also favorites.

"Art School" and "Timothy Leary" are probably the least liked tracks after many listens, but most people enjoy the entire album as programmed.

"Black Betty" and "Best Friend" are the most polarizing songs.

"Carpe Diem" and "Heathen Earth" are never disliked, but for many they really grow on you.

It's interesting because this is pretty much how I feel about it, too. Though I fall into the camp of loving both Best Friend and Black Betty. I think the Queen cover is the Melvins finding a new avenue to be badass.

h3r3t!c

Was the song with Kevin ("In Every Dream Home a Heartache") specifically recorded for this album (making it kind of a reunion) or is it merely a leftover track from the old "Jelvins" days?

meezer

Quote from: h3r3t!c on October 16, 2015, 05:31:29 AM
Was the song with Kevin ("In Every Dream Home a Heartache") specifically recorded for this album (making it kind of a reunion) or is it merely a leftover track from the old "Jelvins" days?
New recording.

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=20247.msg540308#msg540308

))))((((

Is the title of this record a reference to, or parody of something at all? A play on 'Everybody Loves Raymond' perhaps?? Do the "sausages" of the title mean something else as a slang term maybe?

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 24, 2018, 02:48:40 PM
Is the title of this record a reference to, or parody of something at all? A play on 'Everybody Loves Raymond' perhaps?? Do the "sausages" of the title mean something else as a slang term maybe?
Could be an extension of the phrase "see how the sausage is made". The Melvins are the sum of all their influences put together, so here... enjoy the sausages, which everybody loves.  :D

GrimReaper

It could be as simple as they all eat sausages on the road, whoever is in the Melvins entourage at the time.

))))((((

I went back and listened to this record again last night. I suppose it was due to my current obsession of thinking of what cover songs the band might put on this "history of rock" album project at some point. Anyway when '...Sausages' first came out i fucking hated it. Well, not really. I loved some of the songs. Warhead, In Every Dream Home, Romance being the main 3 but others made me cringe terribly. Notable examples being Best Friend, Black Betty, and Timothy Leary Lives. Normally when a new Melvins album comes out i buy it as soon as i can. But then this one came out i didn't buy it for almost a year. I kept listening online but each time thought this was totally unbecoming of such an otherwise great, cool band. Yet over time it has grown on me collectively a lot. I keep thinking about something i remember Jules saying about the record when it came out "it's a lot of fun" and you know he was right. It is a fun record. Perhaps back then i didn't like that and in a way i still don't. I like music to be a serious endeavor or craft but at the same time i can't discount the fun side of things. Listening to the album now is oddly very easy for me. I don't cringe and rather enjoy it. Even the songs i didn't like. Best Friend has been stuck in my head today even! In time will i declare it a masterpiece, hmm probably not but i'd happily give it a 8/10 which 7 years ago seemed completely unimaginable!!!

....still a terrible album title for it though!

Dumpster D

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 07, 2020, 06:53:50 PM

....still a terrible album title for it though!

I'm guessing that it's some kind of inside Joke.

amazonAMAZON

It is the closest thing to a party record the Melvins have ever made. Buzz doesn't write a lot of sing a longs, so hearing these indelible choruses (chori?) is great.

The BB tracks and the Trevor tracks especially have the spirit, but really every part of it is excellent in its own way.

Q: have any if these tracks made you discover or otherwise delve into the original artists?

I think I went on a throbbing gristle bender after this record, trying to figure out what "Heathen Earth" was even evoking. I still intend to rip into the Scientists and the Fugs and Tales of Terror. I at least read all the wiki pages trying to put context to the tracks chosen.

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on September 07, 2020, 07:40:16 PM
Q: have any if these tracks made you discover or otherwise delve into the original artists?
A little. I listened to all the original versions of the songs and checked out that Tales Of Terror record that Buzz always talks very highly of. I thought that fairly good if i remember correctly. Then i went back and listened to it again when they covered another one of the songs with Crystal Fairy.

Bigval

Most of the covers I didn't care for but two I loved were the Roxy Music cover with Jello and the Bowie cover with JG Thirlwell.

All-time best Melvins release title too!

amazonAMAZON

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 07, 2020, 07:47:55 PM
checked out that Tales Of Terror record ... when they covered another one of the songs with Crystal Fairy.

I either forgot or never put that together. That tune does seem to have a Buzz lead vocal throughout and might have originally been intended for Sausages, maybe? Wow. Definitely should have been on the clown series single.