The Melvins in 2024!!!!

Started by johnnyg, December 28, 2023, 12:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyg

We got a ton of Melvins releases in 2023 for the band's 40th anniversary and a cool tour... even though the band played down the 40th mark to a degree, But, now we are on to 41...

1. What releases/tour have the band announced or teased?

2. What do you think they will release or re-release in 2024 and what kind of tours will we see?

3. And what would you wish they would do in 2024???

Dumpster D

Quote from: johnnyg on December 28, 2023, 12:42:30 PM

King Buzzo will finally get his hair inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame.

))))((((

We got a ton of Melvins releases in 2023 for the band's 40th anniversary and a cool tour... even though the band played down the 40th mark to a degree, But, now we are on to 41...

1. What releases/tour have the band announced or teased?

2. What do you think they will release or re-release in 2024 and what kind of tours will we see?

Nothing officially. But Buzz said a new album was going to be finished back in July for a release in Spring 2024 on Ipecac. That is the one they recorded last year with Roy Mayorga drumming on some songs. So that will probably be released. In a very recent interview, Trevor Dunn mentions that him and Buzz are going to do a "duo tour" next year - 2 months in the States and a month in Europe. So it seems 2024 will perhaps focus more on KingDunn or solo Buzz than it will Melvins. So it is intriguing to think how that new Melvins album release would fit into all that. Will Dale be back??? No one really knows.

jules

Quote from: Dumpster D on December 28, 2023, 01:37:43 PM
King Buzzo will finally get his hair inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame.

There's not a strand of evidence to support that.

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: jules on December 28, 2023, 02:10:27 PM

uh-oh ... hair we go again
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Dumpster D

Not sure if I'm remembering if Buzz was talking about how like you have to pay to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of lame?

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: Dumpster D on December 28, 2023, 04:21:52 PM
Not sure if I'm remembering if Buzz was talking about how like you have to pay to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of lame?

What, like you think you're gonna see Brian Wilson's bathrobe for free?
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

amazonAMAZON

My predictions:
REVISITS
They revisited Bullhead and 6 Songs this past year.

I think with Dunn they may revisit some of the weirder stuff... obviously Buzz solo records, King Dunn. But they may pick out some choice stuff from Honky, Stag, or Buzz's KISS EP.

I am also still thinking there's an untapped Ozma revisit in the works or possibly in the can. Apparently they did one song with Cynthia Mackey years ago and had teased something else about this record maybe two years ago.

PHOTOGRAPHY
I don't think Buzz is done releasing photography books. He got one edition of portraits and incidental/tour stuff out already in 2022(?). I think we may be due for a follow-up this year, or even something a bit more themed / narrative. Either a book specifically about dogs or something entirely pessimistic like burned down buildings or trashed parking lots or something.

NEW MUSIC
One album already promised for early-mid 2024. That's a pretty safe bet. But what else could arrive this year as new music from the Melvins? My bet is on an EP with at least one Rolling Stones cover. Possibly a drumless five song EP / cheapy CD with Buzz/Dale/Steven harmonies.

MERCH
My big bet this year would be on something more substantial/weighty and hyper-limited. I could see elaborate woodwork from either the Haze or Mackie camps. Perhaps a record crate? Turntable furniture? Kennel? Guitar stand? Golf caddy? The Dodgers are due for a big year. Maybe we'll see a Mackie baseball bat.

And no shortage of T-shirts, mostly to support tour and re-release records per usual. I could see Mackie going for a new fabric/material, maybe something more like foil.

COLLABS
I'm not sure who, but I have on my bingo card Buzz doing a country tune.

Also it may not be released this year, but I think we'll at least hear of another Blue Whale / Buzz+Kevin duo release.

Dumpster D

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on December 28, 2023, 04:46:49 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on December 28, 2023, 04:21:52 PM

What, like you think you're gonna see Brian Wilson's bathrobe for free?

Or Meatloaf's sweat stained Slacks...Oh wait, I'm thinking of the Rock and Roll Cafe.

:lol:

My friend went there once, he bought me Zappa 'Baby snakes' DVD in the gift shop. That was a great gift.  :)

I mean like, if you're in a band and want to get inducted into the hall of lame, you gotta buy your way in.

Kind of how like Elton John is 'SIR' Elton John now what with all the millions he's probably paid to the crown in Tax money through the years.

John Schuller

I am hoping for a tour with Melvins + Void Manes opening and doing a Throbbing Jazz Gristle Funk Hits thing. This would be followed by a Melvins set.

I am hoping for a vinyl reissue of Pigs of the Roman Empire on Alternative Tentacles (I missed that one somehow!) and Freak Puke.

Dumpster D

Quote from: John Schuller on December 28, 2023, 09:37:43 PM
Freak Puke.

That was one of the best times seeing them play live. oh god it was so fantastic. Wonderful, a Real treat.

Saw them Completely destroy Toronto, and then the next night again, in Hamilton. We showed up early afternoon, the venue was sketch city. Tile floor repeat TILE FLOOR...SERVING BOTTLES...They served bottles all night for some reason, who's brilliant idea was that, you know? You can imagine what would have happened if you got knocked to the floor.

Surprised they played, No way I'd have played a tight little venue with bottles passing around...No way. The band has proven themselves to have absolutely no fear. Would you play with a crowd full of random drunk dudes holding beer bottles?

The ceiling was so low on trevors side of the stage he was hunched over, and that says a lot considering he's only about what? Standing in at a Towering 5,5?

There was live music down the street that afternoon, they were serving FREE BEER Happy hour, down at this local pub, we watched a band that afternoon before the Melvins sound checked. We worked up a nice solid Buzz before heading back down to hang around outside listening to the sound check. Buzz warming up the mic singing 'Tomorrow tomorrow, there's always Tomorrow' and they were sound checking by ripping a ferocious 'Captain pungent' off the cuff.

I accidentally almost blindsided dale coming around the side of their tour van trying to figure out how the hell do you get into this place (I exclaimed out loud)

Dale said cooly,  I don't know, we just got here.

He was gracious enough to hang out for a few minutes and chat a little bit too. I said, we were sorry to have missed the London show, and I asked him 'how was it' and he just said

'It was hot!'

Picture that, while he was wearing a pair of shorts and shades.

It was the middle of a July heat wave.

Met Cliff and Aaron, and one of The Melvins long time friends who was manning the merch booth, and I recognized him from his piece in the Melvins Neither here nor there book.

Got to give a huge big up to Trevor when he went by in positive acknowledgement. I was just admiring his Double bass. It looked historical to me.

I'd give anything to go back just once more.

Freak puke is one of those albums I don't think about often, but it will always remain near and dear to me in a special magical way.

Mints

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on December 28, 2023, 02:29:26 PM
Quote from: jules on December 28, 2023, 02:10:27 PM

uh-oh ... hair we go again

Tress me, it won't last long.

black stallion

Quote from: Dumpster D on December 28, 2023, 10:20:39 PM
Quote from: John Schuller on December 28, 2023, 09:37:43 PM
Freak Puke.

That was one of the best times seeing them play live. oh god it was so fantastic. Wonderful, a Real treat.

Saw them Completely destroy Toronto, and then the next night again, in Hamilton. We showed up early afternoon, the venue was sketch city. Tile floor repeat TILE FLOOR...SERVING BOTTLES...They served bottles all night for some reason, who's brilliant idea was that, you know? You can imagine what would have happened if you got knocked to the floor.

Surprised they played, No way I'd have played a tight little venue with bottles passing around...No way. The band has proven themselves to have absolutely no fear. Would you play with a crowd full of random drunk dudes holding beer bottles?

The ceiling was so low on trevors side of the stage he was hunched over, and that says a lot considering he's only about what? Standing in at a Towering 5,5?

There was live music down the street that afternoon, they were serving FREE BEER Happy hour, down at this local pub, we watched a band that afternoon before the Melvins sound checked. We worked up a nice solid Buzz before heading back down to hang around outside listening to the sound check. Buzz warming up the mic singing 'Tomorrow tomorrow, there's always Tomorrow' and they were sound checking by ripping a ferocious 'Captain pungent' off the cuff.

I accidentally almost blindsided dale coming around the side of their tour van trying to figure out how the hell do you get into this place (I exclaimed out loud)

Dale said cooly,  I don't know, we just got here.

He was gracious enough to hang out for a few minutes and chat a little bit too. I said, we were sorry to have missed the London show, and I asked him 'how was it' and he just said

'It was hot!'

Picture that, while he was wearing a pair of shorts and shades.

It was the middle of a July heat wave.

Met Cliff and Aaron, and one of The Melvins long time friends who was manning the merch booth, and I recognized him from his piece in the Melvins Neither here nor there book.

Got to give a huge big up to Trevor when he went by in positive acknowledgement. I was just admiring his Double bass. It looked historical to me.

I'd give anything to go back just once more.

Freak puke is one of those albums I don't think about often, but it will always remain near and dear to me in a special magical way.

Great review man!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

hemispheres

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7-4Eetj33c9BgKiKCQYMkw
Subscribe to my Youtube channel if you want to know the truth.

Dumpster D

Quote from: hemispheres on December 29, 2023, 03:20:44 AM
Chattanooga, TN date.

No thanks, I'm flattered, but you're not my type.