The Mindset That The Melvins Did A Lot Of Great Stuff Before 1993,

Started by meezer, August 12, 2014, 10:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro Hammer

The thing about any band that's been around for 30 plus years is they tend to have the so called "era's" of developing their style etc. The thing about the Melvins and a lot of other bands with catalogues like theirs have era's that are very unique when compared against each other. Some people enjoy certain times more than others but all in all for me I just love the Melvins period. The first time I heard them was when I was 16 and it was GPT and Ozma on a dubbed cassette and then when Bullhead came out I bought it immediately and fell hard for 'em. Now I didn't get to see them until they opened for NIN in 94. Back then they were so menacing with their sound and when I saw them on the Stoner Witch tour I remember the only thing anyone said was "We don't do encores, so don't even try" at the end of the set and it was Dale. Since then they were always an enigma to me when I saw them live. They were mysterious and fucking dark and heavy, you know before you could see any video you wanted online all I knew of them was what I read which of course was mostly bullshit anyway. The first time I ever heard Buzz talk to the crowd was on the Bootlicker tour and that was the only time up until the Biz Boys joined. Now with the Biz it's a much more fun atmosphere at their shows and sorta the music too. I fucking love it! I really, really do, but, BUT! When I saw them do Houdini and Egg Nog/Lysol in SF with Trevor as a three piece it was fucking dark and scary and weird and fucked and I miss that element. Now on the same token when I saw them on the Bulls and the Bees and they did the whole ep in the set, that was amazing and it could've only been done by the Big Melvins.
Also Fartlips, c'mon...you're silly! Hung Bunny and Roman Dog Bird live with the double drums is pummeling. In other words, the BEST THAT SHIT HAS SOUNDED!  :P

anaconda

deatheats

meezer

Quote from: deatheats on August 13, 2014, 10:36:54 PM
Buzz is having more fun than ever and it is showing.  :excited:
Agreed. And he speaks his mind, even regarding sacred cows, like Nirvana.
You hear that, candyass Nirvana fans? Can you handle the truth?  8)
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

homeless_dad

Quote from: meezer on August 13, 2014, 10:42:27 PM
Bite me, Meez. 
BTW, it's old news.  He's been speaking his mind about Nirvana since the early 90's.  Not much of a sacred cow, sir.

Nirvana is great but they're no Melvins, obviously.
Is Ian back yet??

meezer

Quote from: homeless_dad on August 13, 2014, 11:03:26 PM
Bite me, Meez. 
BTW, it's old news.  He's been speaking his mind about Nirvana since the early 90's.  Not much of a sacred cow, sir.

Yes obvious to us. But any Nirvana fan rooting around a Melvins forum,
looking to get their butt sniffed...Hit the fuckin road, pal!  :x
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

GiveMe45

Quote from: FartLips on August 13, 2014, 07:19:21 PM
Coady has retroactively ruined the band.
Blasphemy!  I tried to get nervous about it at first but there's not one bad thing about him.

Goddammitt!  Did I miss someone hitting the sarcasm button.....?

homeless_dad

Quote from: meezer on August 13, 2014, 11:13:32 PM
Quote from: homeless_dad on August 13, 2014, 11:03:26 PM
Bite me, Meez. 

Yes obvious to us. But any Nirvana fan rooting around a Melvins forum,
looking to get their butt sniffed...Hit the fuckin road, pal!  :x
Schnab might be the only one looking to get his butt sniffed.  Or worse. :shock:
Is Ian back yet??

vince furnier

what the fuck! hey look weezer! If you don't like bullhead you can suck me!
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

meezer

spunkmonkey

QuoteWhen I saw them do Houdini and Egg Nog/Lysol in SF with Trevor as a three piece it was fucking dark and scary and weird and fucked

Those shows were fantastic.

Captain Howdy

Quote from: spunkmonkey on August 14, 2014, 12:58:36 PM
QuoteWhen I saw them do Houdini and Egg Nog/Lysol in SF with Trevor as a three piece it was fucking dark and scary and weird and fucked

:( Can't believe I missed that tour.

Idlehanz

Quote from: anaconda on August 13, 2014, 07:33:41 PM
how so? are you implying if it was just Dale, Buzz and Jared as a trio it would have been
superior????? I consider (A) Senile Animal as perfection of the four piece era of the Melv's

Doesn't anyone remember the joke or interview or whatever the hell it was that said Coady ruined the band? 

I don't remember the context, but I'm pretty sure Farty is having fun with it.

Bro Hammer

Quote from: Captain Howdy on August 14, 2014, 04:37:34 PM
Quote from: spunkmonkey on August 14, 2014, 12:58:36 PM

:( Can't believe I missed that tour.
it wasn't much of a tour. I think they only did LA and SF with that line up. The residency tour was with Big Melvins.

vince furnier

ha! they call that a tour? again, with no snakes, or dancers, or pyrotechnics!
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery