MELVINS - The Devil You Knew, The Devil You Know

Started by Stonergrunge, March 30, 2023, 09:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonergrunge

From Hazelmyer's Facebook page:

"So this year is the Fortieth Anniversary (1983-2023) of the Melvins. We've got a bunch of really cool weird assed releases planned for the year in celebration, but this one might be my favorite as for me it's pretty much perfect. I swear. The Melvins first single DESTROYED when it came out. It was far meaner, more seething, structurally insane and pushed underground boundaries further than any of their Seattle peers of the era. I ain't arguing with anyone on this point as I was there at the time. I personally remember it as a game changer and it seriously altered how I was personally approaching music at the time. So I asked Buzz about doing a re-issue of that material as part of this years commemorative releases. He didn't skip a beat and said "Yeah, and we'll re-record that material too". Genius. So the 12" is the songs from the 80's and the flip-side is the same songs circa NOW. It's a perfect reflection of the then/now of the band. Glorious. For me there's times as an artist or musician when you KNOW you nailed it, and I gotta say I was pretty jazzed with art results hitting it square in the nuts for this, a high bar, as excited as I am about this release. It's kinda the perfect culmination of our working relationship that has spanned damn near the full 40 years these creeps have been at it. Yeah yeah it's rooted in nostalgia neither the band or I usually have a lot of time for,  but also showing the creative vitality us dinosaurs can still muster as we continue to indelicately stomp around.

Cheapie CD APR 9!
Silk Screened art vinyl mid to late APR
Factory Edition vinyl end of APR
"

cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

CoryCory

That's way cool! Good start to this 40th anniversary campaign

GiveMe45

Would love to hear modern take on these songs! Can't wait

))))((((

Something of a surprise and i'm eager to hear the updated versions. I hope they don't make them too upbeat and light as is the tendency in the bands material in later years. I wonder if this will be with Steven or as Melvins 1983.

Mount Ambulance

Easy As It Was is simply one of my fave tunes of theirs. Haze on point, that shit was fresh. Good memories indeed. Looking forward to hearing this.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

vince furnier

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 30, 2023, 01:38:02 PM
Something of a surprise and i'm eager to hear the updated versions. I hope they don't make them too upbeat and light as is the tendency in the bands material in later years. I wonder if this will be with Steven or as Melvins 1983.
1 - i think Haze and the Artwork would say that if it were true.
2 - his description makes this seem like a spur of the moment thing and projects with Mike need to be planned way in advance, if i recall.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

Nizamark

))))((((

I know Haze said he was very pleased with the art for this, but personally speaking i find it pretty darn awful. For my tastes, Haze is wildly unpredictable. Some of his cover art i really like and admire while others i find very amateurish. Sometimes i have to almost wonder if the same person made them when the results are so polarising like that. His choice of colours and creating a balanced image is almost always uniformly horrible.

John Schuller

I am super excited to hear this!!!

I love the art, might have to spring for the limited edition art version. HOT STUFF was one of my favorite comics as a kid.

the bloat

Love this! Super excited to hear new/old tunes

#2 Pencil

Always preferred 6 Songs over 10 Songs. Keen to hear the new take on them
I heard their periods attract bears

#2 Pencil

Quote from: vince furnier on March 30, 2023, 03:24:10 PM
2 - his description makes this seem like a spur of the moment thing and projects with Mike need to be planned way in advance, if i recall.

Also I believe that Buzz would only be looking to better the bass on this one. Considering the original had Matt and didn't he break a string, and have a new one on the recording?
Thought that was why they went back later and felt that 10 Songs takes seemed better and released that.
I heard their periods attract bears

vince furnier

Quote from: #2 Pencil on March 30, 2023, 11:58:56 PM
Quote from: vince furnier on March 30, 2023, 03:24:10 PM

Also I believe that Buzz would only be looking to better the bass on this one. Considering the original had Matt and didn't he break a string, and have a new one on the recording?
Thought that was why they went back later and felt that 10 Songs takes seemed better and released that.
i thought that story was about GPT.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery